04 Cobra or E46 M3

3Stang

YMR# 9631
Established Member
Hey guys im trying to have a civilized conversation about this. I have had my 04 Cobra since August of '13 and its been fun. Ive only put 18,000 miles on it since its so bad on gas, and over all not as fun to drive as my DD is, an E36 328is. Yes when you put your foot down and its done wheel hopping, it is fun to go straight. I bought the E36 as a beater back when I got the cobra because I didnt want to put so many miles on the cobra. I got the E36 just 2 months after and have done alot of mods to it. I have put about 24,000 miles on that one. So over the past year or so I have been seriously interested in getting an E46 M3. My dad is even considering selling his 03 Cobra so him and I can have matching E46s like we do cobras now. Ive driven a few and they are a blast. Sure, 333 HP is laughed at in the face of the cobra, but the chassis rigidity, and stunning handling IMO make up for it. My 328 with 193 HP is a blast. Our E36 M3 with 240 HP is even more fun. So I cant imagine the same type of car with 100 more HP. I wish I could keep the cobra and get an E46 M3 also but being 20, 2 loans isnt really an option lol. So I just wanted to stir up some conversation from people about what they think. Maybe some current or previous E46 M3 owners can chime in. Maybe some people who went from an E46 to a cobra chime in. Thanks!

FICannon

Semper Fidelis
Established Member
Looks like you have already made your mind up. I've never driven a E46 M3 so I cant comment from personal experience but the two issues that your cobra has, wheel hop and a not so rigid unibody can be addressed with after market parts designed for those specific issues.

kaz109

Established Member
I am a current E46 M3 owner, I am not really sure what you would like to know. I have never owned a 03/04 cobra but it would be hard to get rid of it if I had one. Both are amazing timeless car's IMO

3Stang

YMR# 9631
Established Member
Looks like you have already made your mind up. I've never driven a E46 M3 so I cant comment from personal experience but the two issues that your cobra has, wheel hop and a not so rigid unibody can be addressed with after market parts designed for those specific issues.
I had FLSC welded in on my old 01 Cobra and really in comparisson to my 04 Cobra that car felt SOOO much better. It has X2 Ball joints, eibach sways, steeda springs, and bilstein HDs. Its just all that stuff is so expensive. And on the 04 I have a car payment so I end up not really being able to do anything to it. I had bought the 01 already done with all that.

I am a current E46 M3 owner, I am not really sure what you would like to know. I have never owned a 03/04 cobra but it would be hard to get rid of it if I had one. Both are amazing timeless car's IMO

The car wouldnt be a DD just like my cobra isnt. But, valve adjustments are an added complication and the possibility of a cracked rear subframe also scares me. Also I would only get an 03-06 due to the recall with the rod bearing failure with 01 and 02 cars. Have you had to do the valve adjustment yet? Have you had any real issues with it in the time you have owned it?

trc46

Layer of Pipe
Established Member
I would mod the 04 suspension, don't be that guy

R.D.P.

Extra Sprinkles
Established Member
I would love to have the handling and driving experience of a M3, but I can't let go of the feeling of the torque and the roar of the exhaust when I floor it. I also think a Terminator is 100x better looking. It sounds like you don't have that same love for the muscle, so make the switch. It's all about what you want to do and what your going to enjoy.

3Stang

YMR# 9631
Established Member
I would love to have the handling and driving experience of a M3, but I can't let go of the feeling of the torque and the roar of the exhaust when I floor it. I also think a Terminator is 100x better looking. It sounds like you don't have that same love for the muscle, so make the switch. It's all about what you want to do and what your going to enjoy.

This is exactly how I feel. I wish the terminator didnt have so much over hang though. I grew up always liking mustangs as my dad took me to shows growing up in our fox at the time. We only recently got into BMWs when my best friend got his E36 M3. I told my dad we had to get one and he was down so he sold his motorcycle since he never rode anymore and it was collecting dust and we got our E36 M3 vert. He loves the thing so much and is so happy with the purchase lol. That was back in 2012. Both the M3 vert and his 03 Cobra vert get to live in the garage together while my 04 his 11 rubicon my E36 328 and his DD E36 M3 sedan have to sit outside. Im so torn. Whenever I drive the cobra its fun. Then I drive the E36 again and its fun.

SonicDTR

Wasn't me.
Established Member
Premium Member
I love them both, but ultimately I dont think I could own an E46 M3 as my only playtoy.

You have to decide what you will do with it majority of the time and buy the car that fits the bill. If you have deep wallets and want to track the car, then M3 might be the better route. For me I wanted a beautiful cruiser and fun highway car so I went with a terminator(again). However I just sold mine(again lol) and will get something else next time.

A good friend of mine is doing an S62 swap into his E46 M3, IMO that is a great combo. Big torquey V8 in a great chassis. I could see myself enjoying a V8 Swapped M3, LS is more likely though. Perhaps the later year M3 that came factory with a V8, but they're also bigger cars.

Last edited:

B0B

Established Member
I have a lot of experience with BMWs, as I work for BMW. I have driven a ton of M3's. E36, 46, 90, 92, F80, and F82.

Don't do it.

Even the newest F80/82 M3 and M4 are a let down in my opinion, and the value isn't there.
The mustang is a better car. period.

You will never be able to drive a BMW as hard as you can a mustang without hurting it. The repairs and maintenance is a joke, you will be paying big money for a brake job on an E46 M3. Get ready for thousands of dollars in repairs for oil leaks and electrical problems when you hit 100k miles. You will be fixing axle seals, control arm bushings, strut mounts, power steering, water pumps, thermostats, etc.

I have first hand experience dealing with hundreds of M3's. I will never own a BMW. Lease, maybe. But own, never.

Being 20 years old, you can't afford an M3 man. Sorry, but it isn't a car for a kid. Your maintenance will be more than your car payment. I'm not one to say this, but TRUST ME.

Anyone who has an E46 M3 with over a 100k miles here who thinks otherwise, take your car to a BMW dealer for an oil change and you won't leave there with an estimate for under $1000 for repairs noted by the tech on your free multipoint inspection.

3Stang

YMR# 9631
Established Member
I have a lot of experience with BMWs, as I work for BMW. I have driven a ton of M3's. E36, 46, 90, 92, F80, and F82.

Don't do it.

Even the newest F80/82 M3 and M4 are a let down in my opinion, and the value isn't there.

You will never be able to drive a BMW as hard as you can a mustang without hurting it. The repairs and maintenance is a joke, you will be paying big money for a brake job on an E46 M3. Get ready for thousands of dollars in repairs for oil leaks and electrical problems when you hit 100k miles. You will be fixing axle seals, control arm bushings, strut mounts, power steering, water pumps, thermostats, etc.

I have first hand experience dealing with hundreds of M3's. I will never own a BMW. Lease, maybe. But own, never.

Being 20 years old, you can't afford an M3 man. Sorry, but it isn't a car for a kid. Your maintenance will be more than your car payment. I'm not one to say this, but TRUST ME.

Anyone who has an E46 M3 with over a 100k miles here who thinks otherwise, take your car to a BMW dealer for an oil change and you won't leave there with an estimate for under $1000 for repairs noted by the tech on your free multipoint inspection.

I appreciate you first hand input. Yeah they really are maintenance nightmares which does make me shy away. I do all my own maintence to our E36s with the help of my dad. Ive done everything you listed including a head swap due to the previous owner overheating it. I bought it knowing that which is why I got it for $1100 lol. Ive redone the whole front suspension (LCAB, control arms, sway bar end links and bushings, tie rods you name it) I still need to do my RTABS and rear ball joints and guibo and center bearing. Believe me im no stranger to DIY work. But yes the M3 parts are still expensive. Which again is a concern I have for it.

B0B

Established Member
I appreciate you first hand input. Yeah they really are maintenance nightmares which does make me shy away. I do all my own maintence to our E36s with the help of my dad. Ive done everything you listed including a head swap due to the previous owner overheating it. I bought it knowing that which is why I got it for $1100 lol. Ive redone the whole front suspension (LCAB, control arms, sway bar end links and bushings, tie rods you name it) I still need to do my RTABS and rear ball joints and guibo and center bearing. Believe me im no stranger to DIY work. But yes the M3 parts are still expensive. Which again is a concern I have for it.

I'm glad you know about this stuff and have experience with it. Sounds like you know what you're doing. Just remember the parts for an E46 are going to be substantially more than parts for the E36. I think you can make the cobra as nimble as an E46 with the right suspension components, and it would be cheaper and more fun (imo) in the long run.

xenodragon

Established Member

Don't do it.

Your statements here are blown a little bit out of proportion IMO. I have also driven BMWs for the past 17 years, and to be honest were some of my most reliable cars. Will SOME dealers gouge you in price? Sure. The one I go to is fair, and there are also local Euroshops around me that also offer reasonable pricing, in fact just had a brake job done (on an e46 325) that cost $461. This is cheaper than it cost to replace brakes/rotors/fluids on my Dodge Durango. Will the ///M parts be more expensive? Probably, but they are not completely out of whack priced. The dealer charges me $60 for an oil change for full synthetic oil, the valvoline that I use for my other cars costs me $70-80.

Now back to the OP question, IMO keep the Cobra. The e46 is a great car, but nothing can match the Cobra. Have fun with whatever you decide

mustangmanjeff

Established Member
ive always had a soft spot for a bmw m3. loved the e36 growing up when they were new, loved the e46 when new almost sold my mustang for a e46 a few times, almost picked up a white SMG 2003 back few years ago could of got it for under $20k and the thing was low low miles like under 40k miles and was like show room new. would make a nice daily driver if I could afford to keep both but couldnt still cant so i bought a nissan maxima for a beater which I like and kept my mustang lol but deff you should get 1 if you can. I want to get one someday that or a e39 m5 love the 98
- v8 2004 m5's.

Last edited:

VenomVeins

Established Member
One of my cousins had an '05 M3 bought in late 2005. Like you and your father, he was a DIY guy (former dealership tech for Audi) and once his warranty ran out, he did the work himself or with the help of one of us.

He sold the car recently with 87,XXX miles on it-and spent a fortune on parts and put alot of his spare time into keeping the car running properly. No way IN HELL i'd ever touch a BMW of any type after seeing that and him telling me of yet another issue week after week it seemed. By the time he sold it, he hated it. Always called the M "fragile but agile".

He daily drives a Z06 now (he was considering an 03/04 cobra), and would never go back. Have 2 other family members who own a 2013 5 series (no issues yet-ugly car imo), and a 2009 5 series (head gasket blew, a few other issues as well-fixed under warranty), and can say that I would never consider one due to what i've witnessed firsthand.

Dont sell the cobra. Save your money and invest in suspension upgrades-it will feel like a new car and handle like it is on rails.

Last edited:

VenomVeins

Established Member
in fact just had a brake job done (on an e46 325) that cost $461. This is cheaper than it cost to replace brakes/rotors/fluids on my Dodge Durango. Will the ///M parts be more expensive? Probably, but they are not completely out of whack priced. The dealer charges me $60 for an oil change for full synthetic oil, the valvoline that I use for my other cars costs me $70-80.

:eek: :eek: :eek:

That is ****ing crazy! I am so damn happy I can easily change all my brake components on any of my cars myself.

Just ****ing rediculous.

Last edited:

kaz109

Established Member

Don't do it.

I won't get into the after 100k mi statement because my M3 doesn't have 100k on it so I can't argue that yet but the " You will never be able to drive a BMW as hard as you can a mustang without hurting it" is just stupid think to say. Have you owned both?? No just dealer driving lol....I have owned a mustang and it gave me nothing but problems being a daily driver and I current own a track only E46 Me which has NEVER given me any issues. Also I found that BMW dealership always charge the most and seem to know the lease. If you don't like to do your own work I suggest taking it to a Euroshop as it will be cheaper and they seem to know much more that the run of the mill guys at the dealership or at least that's how it is in my area.

truefiveo

Established Member
Id have much more peace of mind with the Cobra, maintenance wise.
I wouldn't touch any used BMW/MB/AUDI/VW without a warranty..period.
When something goes clunk, the honeymoon is over and reality of your wallet sets in.

Last edited:

kaz109

Established Member
I had FLSC welded in on my old 01 Cobra and really in comparisson to my 04 Cobra that car felt SOOO much better. It has X2 Ball joints, eibach sways, steeda springs, and bilstein HDs. Its just all that stuff is so expensive. And on the 04 I have a car payment so I end up not really being able to do anything to it. I had bought the 01 already done with all that.

The car wouldnt be a DD just like my cobra isnt. But, valve adjustments are an added complication and the possibility of a cracked rear subframe also scares me. Also I would only get an 03-06 due to the recall with the rod bearing failure with 01 and 02 cars. Have you had to do the valve adjustment yet? Have you had any real issues with it in the time you have owned it?

Valve adjustment was done prior to me owning the car. It seriously has been the most solid car I have owned so far and I have had a good amount of American car's before this one. I think it comes down to what characteristics you enjoy most in a car. I love everything about the 03/04 cobra's and I think they are a new generation classic but I like the characteristics of the E46 more as a toy.

As a DD I would prefer the cobra. The E46 has a rawness that the cobra does not have and before ppl laugh at that statement know that I an not talking about hp and tq numbers. Its the chassis combined with the high reviving NA motor. The balance of the car is just awesome and the feel of driving it is even better.

Gary Macomber

Established Member
I have had a few BMW (04' E46 M,Z3 and 86' E30)and Mercedes and here is what bothers me about them the most, they are very numb feeling. To the everyday person that is not a bad thing as it makes for a very smooth ride. When I hit the gas I want to feel it, I want to be thrown into my seat, with the BMW the revs are so smooth you just get a very silky rev. They are very nice cars but I never owned one for more than a few years and haven't owned one for quite a number of years.

The 86' 3 series I loved that car, it was like driving a go kart, the new ones lost all of that feeling. I haven't driven the newest ones but have heard a few people complaining about them mainly about oil consumption but I have no experience with that.

Users who are viewing this thread