04 cobra passenger side oil leak?? Help

Joesvtcobra555

Established Member
Hey guys I need help finding out where my cobra is leaking oil from. So I've recently replaced the drivers side valve cover gasket because it was leaking very bad. I fixed the problem. I notice however that the car still smelled like it was burning oil? I figured because the oil leak was right above the stock manifolds the car probably needed time to burn off the excess oil. Well I drove the car the other day and after a month of the fix I still smell oil whenever I get on it a little.
So I started my car in the garage and found a small puddle of oil on the passenger side/ left side of the engine. I jacked the car up and saw oil but couldn't find where it was coming from??? It's not coming out fast but there is a lot of oil around this area
nfkhdyj

Any idea what the gray thing with oil on it is?
https://imageshack.com/i/ng47ydj
https://imageshack.com/i/5g6hwfj

Thanks for looking!

TRQJUNKIE

Justa Slobra
Established Member
Mine is leaking bad from my passenger valve cover. It runs down the AC compressor and even down the sway bar. Take a look at where the valve covers meet the heads. It might not look like a big leak area but like I said when it starts to leak it runs down and makes other stuff look like the leak.

Joesvtcobra555

Established Member
Ok yea a buddy mine told me that was the AC so I'm guessing it is the valve cover since the ac doesn't have motor oil in it. Any idea why both valve covers are leaking? I also noticed the gaskets for the spark plugs where leaking quite a lot when i removed the coils. Could there be something wrong with my motor causing theses gaskets to give?

03SonicVert

Ford Junkie since 1996
Established Member
There could be an underlying issue but would think you would see that with excess oil in the pcv. It wouldn't hurt to check the pcv system for issues in flow but I would quess it is par for the course on a 10 year old vehicle that some of the gaskets start to get brittle or just shrink.

How were the driver side gasket and o-rings when removed? Did they feel similar to the new material or softer/harder, damage, etc? How many miles on the car?

SC

Joesvtcobra555

Established Member
Ok I will check it out the PVC I also forgot to mention that when the heat is blowing it smells like burnt oil I guess I could say or burning something..

As far as the gaskets and how they felt they where very similar to the new ones I couldn't find any damage or cracks on the old ones. I actually ended up having to do the whole job twice with removing the hydro boost and master. Because the first time I did it I guess I didn't put enough silicone. It leaked again the first time. But as far as comparing them that's what made me think it might not be the gaskets maybe just a pressure problem or something. My oil pressure gauge reads just a hair over half and I've heard that's normal.

Thanks for the help Btw both of you guys! I'm not sure if I have to tag you so you can see my rly? I'm kinda new to this.

Joesvtcobra555

Established Member
Oh and it has 48,678 miles on it as far as mods
It had a ported and pullied eaton but the bearings went bad so I got a stock one back on it
So now it's just
Jlt cold air intake
60lb injectors
Stock manifolds
Off-road x pipe
Magnaflow car back
I think that's it as far as motor
Although when I bought it the car had an ac del kit and I got the ac it had now used so I'm not sure how many miles the compressor has

03SonicVert

Ford Junkie since 1996
Established Member
You are most likely smelling the burning oil with the heat on because it is pulling the smell from the engine through the evap case and into the passenger compartment. I think the only recirculation mode is Max A/C which you could place the selector on and then place the temp to the hottest possible and see if it goes away.

By placing this system on "Max" you are basically switching from fresh air to recirculated cabin air.

Joesvtcobra555

Established Member
Ok yea then I'm pretty sure it's the valve cover gasket. Guess ill have to wait until spring to find out so I can work on it. I changed the drivers side in the fall I wish I would have known it was both I would have sent them to get powder coated.
Well thanks a ton man I rly appreciate your time!

Joesvtcobra555

Established Member
Sorry one last question because my buddy just told me if the pcv isn't venting right it could be causing the problem. How exactly would I check the pcv?

03SonicVert

Ford Junkie since 1996
Established Member
Air is brought into the crankcase through the air snorkel between the MAF and throttle body into the passenger side valve cover. The crankcase psi then theoretically travels through the PCV valve on the driver side valve cover over to a "T" fitting which connects to the back of the blower then snakes down and attaches to the bottom of the blower.

If you had the lower intake off when you swapped blowers that would have been the time to check the rubber line connection from the port on the bottom of the intake to the "T" fittin on the back of the blower.

You just want to make sure the system is hooked up with no blockages or restrictions. Check the lines for integrity and look for any deterioration.

You could also do a compression and leak down test on the engine if you suspect high crankcase pressures.

TRQJUNKIE

Justa Slobra
Established Member
Ok yea a buddy mine told me that was the AC so I'm guessing it is the valve cover since the ac doesn't have motor oil in it. Any idea why both valve covers are leaking? I also noticed the gaskets for the spark plugs where leaking quite a lot when i removed the coils. Could there be something wrong with my motor causing theses gaskets to give?

Well the sad part is, I just changed this gasket out last year and it didn't work. This time I'm going to apply an oil resistant RTV before I lay the gasket into the cover. I believe the oil is moving up and over the rubber gasket and not under it. Mine are powdercoated too so I will double check to make sure no coating is not interfering with the seal. Good Luck!

Last edited:

Joesvtcobra555

Established Member
I see yea from what I've researched I'm just going to buy the breathers from lethal and I did notice the T is filthy! Thanks for the help guys and good luck to you to man!

Users who are viewing this thread