04 cobra service engine light

bigdog93lx

Gallons per mile
Established Member
Well my service engine light keeps coming on. It always comes on when im just cruising. I have a jlt CAI and thats it. I disconnected my battery and it just came back on tonight again on my way home. I don't know what could be causing it if i only have A CAI on?

There is a screen before the MAF on the the stock intake unit. Do i need this with the JLT CAI because i didnt put it back in?

:shrug: :shrug:

rmgtc01

Established Member
It's not the screen. Make sure the whole things is secured and connected, not ****ed anywhere. Is it stalling or shuttering? I think there was a thread about this (could be wrong) where there was something about the MAF and the bend in the tubing from the CAI causing issues. Do a search, but until then here is a bump for ya.

unit213

Bone Stock
Established Member
Are you sure you plugged in the MAF and the IAT?

Just pull the code and find out what the problem is. It's probably something simple.

bigdog93lx

Gallons per mile
Established Member
I am 99% sure everything is connected right but i'll triple check again. The car runs fine. It idles, cruises, and pulls strong.

unit213

Bone Stock
Established Member
bigdog93lx said:
I am 99% sure everything is connected right but i'll triple check again. The car runs fine. It idles, cruises, and pulls strong.

Do you have a Predator or other device that will allow you to read the code? If not, I believe Autozone does it for free.

bigdog93lx

Gallons per mile
Established Member
Quick question, might be stupid but here goes:

I'm still on the tank of gas that i got from the dealership that i bought my car from. If they filled it with shitty gas would this turn my engine light on?

BLWN04COBRA

Established Member
Ses

My 04 has the same problem since I out my C&L , it is a lean code for some reason but all the perameters were correct when we drove it with the ford computer on it.

rmgtc01

Established Member
bigdog93lx said:

I'm still on the tank of gas that i got from the dealership that i bought my car from. If they filled it with shitty gas would this turn my engine light on?

Thats a good question. I think it could. I know that Shell had bad gas a while back and it caused engine lights to come on, or even the fuel guage to act batty. What if the dealer did not know and put el cheapo 87 octane in there? That would be bad.

AMP

SVT Dad X2
Established Member
bigdog93lx said:

what's up from one masshole to another. I don't live on the north shore, but I'm in Quincy, not too far. I have a predator, and could scan your ecu anytime you need it. Just let me know. good luck.

bigdog93lx

Gallons per mile
Established Member
Thanks a lot for responding. :beer:

Well, first off im going to get some good gas fill her up maybe some octane booster and dry gas too. I guess i should buy a code reader. I know i could buy a predator for a coule hundred bucks but where can i buy a code reader for under 50 bucks?

BLWN04COBRA said:
My 04 has the same problem since I out my C&L , it is a lean code for some reason but all the perameters were correct when we drove it with the ford computer on it.

What did Ford do to fix the problem?

AMP said:
what's up from one masshole to another. I don't live on the north shore, but I'm in Quincy, not too far. I have a predator, and could scan your ecu anytime you need it. Just let me know. good luck.

Im going to take a cruise to autozone first, but if all else fails i might have to take you up on that offer. :beer: :rolling:

SnakeBit

Mid-Life Crisis my ass!
Established Member
Autozone sells Acctron code readers. I think the cheapest one is under $100. I bought the next one up. It said $150, but at the cash register, they knocked off $50. Although I have an Autotap, I bought the cable for Fords only. Since it didn't work on my wife's Mazda, I bought a universal reader. It will reset the codes as well.

bigdog93lx

Gallons per mile
Established Member
I decided to bring it to a Ford dealership and i guess the cats are throwing some codes...

I bought the car used and I could hear a small leak coming from the exhuast. The previous must have had a CAI and ehxuast on the car before and took it off when he traded it in... After driving in my brothers car i can tell it doent pull as hard as his does or have good throttle response.

I guess this will make me feel that less guilty about buying a full exhuast in the spring :)

Users who are viewing this thread