04 cobra vs. 05 vette

CompOrange04

Just livin the dream...
Established Member
I tried to search this but it kept giving me the memory error. Anyway, I have a buddy who just bought an '05 corvette with a stick. He hasn't done any mods yet but he swears that it will take my cobra (mods in sig.) Anyone had any experiences with these yet? I am sure there is. I am not really worried about the race, but I know anything over 100 or so he will probably start catching up.

ponygt65

Multi-Quotin' Fool
Established Member
I can't believe how conceited some people can be. C6's are a drivers rce with a STOCK cobra.

SVTCOBRAKID

Established Member
I guess the guys counting on you forgetting how to drive stick and which is the gas and which is the brake. youll murder him. get it on tape. I love watching a ls1 or 2 get spanked. peace

Snake Pliskin

Teen Idol
Established Member
Definitely tape this one. A 200 lb rider with a video camera shouldnt change the outcome of this race.If anything, it might keep him close enough that a whole lotta zoom wont be necessary to see his car fading off into the background.

bunk22

Established Member
I just came from a modified 03 Cobra with a JLT, cat-back, ported Stieg Eaton, 2.8" pulley and a custom dyno tune. It dynoed 480rhwp/450rwtq SAE on crappy 91 octane. I now have a new C6 Corvette, m6 with the Z51 option. It has an intake and custom tune that removed some the stupid things GM put in the car. Anyway, my C6 would not and could not take my 03 Cobra in a straight line, even as it sits. Maybe if the two cars were somehow taking off at triple digit speeds it might of hung but other than that, the Cobra pulled like a freight train with its incredible flat torque curve. I will say your car should have no problem with a new stock C6, espescially untuned.

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
been seeing alot of them around lately

what kind of times/trap speeds do these new c6's do stock? (non-z06)

yes i would agree with a 2.76 pulley you should have no problem

bunk22

Established Member
VERTIBLEMENACE said:
been seeing alot of them around lately

what kind of times/trap speeds do these new c6's do stock? (non-z06)

yes i would agree with a 2.76 pulley you should have no problem

I personally ran an 8.9@82 in my bone stock C6. Not a great run with the temp being 90 degrees, brand new car and bad driver. The two best times I've seen on a vette website are [email protected] and 12.41@114. Those were done in great weather, with good drivers, bone stock and both cars were Z51 optioned Vettes with an m6. I really think the norm seems to be around high 12's to low 13's from 109-111. Very much like stock 03-04 Cobra's.

CompOrange04

Just livin the dream...
Established Member
I really love all the amenities that the vette has. It is alot more refined than our cobra's. But like everyone says, they are 2 totally different cars. I do want to get it on tape, and we'll see what happens. It has been like 100 degrees the last two days, so I would like to wait till it cools off. I really can't wait till this happens. He was talking smack again at the bar tonight... The best part is that he has never even owned a car with as much power as he has now. Better yet a manual...

Blakers01GT

Established Member
A couple weeks ago I ran into a Silver C6 with a middle aged guy in a suit and slicked back hair who gave me the look of "You don't deserve to be driving next to me" So I just smiled, we were on the freeway going about 60mph. I dropped it to 3rd, when he punched it I punched it and I went till about 130mph, once I got away about 2 or 3 car lengths he shut it down :coolman: I let him him catch up before I had to get off on my exit, gave him a thumbs up, I got no response, I believe he was very confused after that. :lol:

YGETV8

Established Member
I ran into a red C6 a few months ago. My wife was with me. He initiated a couple of runs and when I finally drove around him and let off at about 140 I think he got the hint. He of course had to do a "ricer move" and blow by me as I was slowing down. FWIW, I have about the same mods as you, Comp.

koopa

munter chumpher
Established Member
what guys like this need to remember is that just cause the price tag numbers are higher on their vette, it doesnt automatically make it a faster car!!:D

bunk22

Established Member
koopa said:
what guys like this need to remember is that just cause the price tag numbers are higher on their vette, it doesnt automatically make it a faster car!!:D

I think why he believes it to be faster is it comes with a 6.0 liter 400hp motor in a 3180lb car. Under the right conditions and right driver, the Z51 optioned m6 can apparently hit mid 12's at 114-115. However, that's the problem, most people aren't hitting those numbers in their Z51 optioned Vettes without something like a tune to remove things like torque management. A C6 driver will have to be on the top of his game if he's going to take a well driven stock 03/04 Cobra. Having owned both, I believe the C6 to be a tad quicker stock for stock (Z51 option-m6). I just don't believe a stock or near stock C6 is going to take a pullied (3.1" and below), exhaust, cai, tuned Cobra....all else being equal.

koopa

munter chumpher
Established Member
bunk22 said:
I think why he believes it to be faster is it comes with a 6.0 liter 400hp motor in a 3180lb car. Under the right conditions and right driver, the Z51 optioned m6 can apparently hit mid 12's at 114-115. However, that's the problem, most people aren't hitting those numbers in their Z51 optioned Vettes without something like a tune to remove things like torque management. A C6 driver will have to be on the top of his game if he's going to take a well driven stock 03/04 Cobra. Having owned both, I believe the C6 to be a tad quicker stock for stock (Z51 option-m6). I just don't believe a stock or near stock C6 is going to take a pullied (3.1" and below), exhaust, cai, tuned Cobra....all else being equal.

i agree completely, i sold my stock C6 last month after only 1000miles of use. I just didnt rate it as much as my C5 vert.

bunk22

Established Member
koopa said:
i agree completely, i sold my stock C6 last month after only 1000miles of use. I just didnt rate it as much as my C5 vert.

I just got a custom tune on mine and it is a night and day difference. No more torque management, fans come on sooner, smooth air-fuel, etc. As far as a big difference between the C5 and a tuned C6, I don't know.

The Z51 optioned Vette has different rated springs, a larger oil cooler, larger front brakes (13.4 vs 12.8), the brake rotors are cross-drilled as well, 3.42 gears, and a few other goodies I can't think of. It options for about $1650 extra. These Vettes with a 6-speed will be the quickest and usually the one most magazines test.

Users who are viewing this thread