04 Cobra vs. AMG S55

65mph_Roll

Established Member
2nd encounter of the day: Mercedes AMG S55, pulled up alongside on the freeway, traffic was prohibitive and we did a short 4th gear blast but it was too short to tell, felt even (but at least he’s game).

Anyway, it finally opens up and we’re in 3rd gear territory and we go. Had to shut down at the top of 3rd but my back bumper was at his front. (I was fully prepared to loose this based on what I’ve read in the car mags.)

So this guy is cool and wants to go again, and he hangs back going slow. Slow as in I’m now in 2nd (yes, on the freeway) and we go. We started evenly and by the top of 2nd my door is at his front bumper, I granny shifted into 3rd because I have a problem with missing 3rd (stock shifter) and then started to pull a bit harder. I think I had a car length by about 5,500 rpm in 3rd when we caught up with traffic.

The guy and passenger were all thumbs up and cool. Could barely see the thumbs and grins behind the tinted windows.

swoosh_stang

I'm not evil, Trust Me
Established Member
Mods?

I only ask about mods, because I beat an S63 pretty soundly.

I did have a close run with an E63 (same race as above actually).

But I'm pretty close to stock.

silversti

Established Member
Mods?

I only ask about mods, because I beat an S63 pretty soundly.

I did have a close run with an E63 (same race as above actually).

But I'm pretty close to stock.

I would think you would struggle heavily against a E63, being an almost stock vert...even with your catback I would think a properly driven E63 would smoke you pretty hard

maybe I'm crazy but I don't know alot of "almost" stock vert cobras running mid to low 12's which is pretty much where an E63 will be

rsnyder

SVT
Established Member
Does the AMG S55 have the same 4.8l v8 (470hp, 515lb) found in the E55 AMG? If so, yes, those things are animals. I raced one right after my Whipple install. If I was stock, it would have been ugly for me. If I still had my 2.8 pulley (prior to Whipple), then it would have been a very close race. Obviously with my Whipple, I walked away pretty hard. I love those cars though. I went to the track (Carolina Dragway) a few months after that race, and saw a new E55 AMG running consistent 12.3's all day. It was quite, smooth and brutaly fast. I want to own one some day, but I'm just kind of afraid because of what I hear about the extremely expensive nature of repairs and service. SILVERSTI, how do you like yours?

musclefan21

Established Member
nice run man. i assume you are pullied because pullied cobras can give them run. around 1 car or maybe more. i think they run like what 12 flat @119mph?? if you are nopt pullied, i have no idea how u puled this one!

silversti

Established Member
SILVERSTI, how do you like yours?

absolutely love it.......plenty of on demand power throughout the power band.....very smooth......button shifters on the steering wheel with amg speedshift so it changes gears pretty quickly......and loaded with creature comforts (like the adaptive seats that inflate on one side as you go in/out of curves, they have massage feature for long trips....heated in the winter and a/c so they're cool in the summer.........navigation.....decent sound system......tires aren't cheap though (just spend 1300 on PS2's installed)......

Users who are viewing this thread