04 Gto Vs 04 Cobra

no slow 88

Established Member
Well I quess you could call it a race. My friend and I were ont he way back from Darlington dragway with some friends and we decide to give the o'l goat a go. Started riding his ass to let him no to go, an sure enough he did. We Quickly pulled next to and then on by. Like I said it wasn't much of a race, but it did show you need more then a cold air kit and exhaust on a GTO to run with a near stock terminator!

Romans8:28

Established Member
I abused a 04 gto a while back (not even close)...........

From reading the car and driver article looks like we will be abusing the 05 400hp goats almost as bad (a 13.3 1/4 @ 108 and a 19.6 to 130mph is still not Cobra teritory)

99_venum

SVT Madness
Established Member
Ah, the 04 GTO couldn't even beat my truck. One guy tried but like Tyrbo 91 said, it wasn't much of a race.

FredK'03Cobra

Established Member
ULTIMATEORANGES said:
05s will be running better than 13.3 you can bet on that.
04s have run at least that.

Not with the stock 245s in back. And, not if they keep selling at the same rate -- they just won't be out there. Pontiac just announced $5,500 cash back on '04s. They're hurtin'.

ULTIMATE ORANGE SS

Established Member
FredK'03Cobra said:
Not with the stock 245s in back. And, not if they keep selling at the same rate -- they just won't be out there. Pontiac just announced $5,500 cash back on '04s. They're hurtin'.

05s have already unofficially run 12s.

theres also a new body style coming in 07.theyre not going anywhere.

FredK'03Cobra

Established Member
ULTIMATEORANGES said:
05s have already unofficially run 12s.
theres also a new body style coming in 07.theyre not going anywhere.

Fine, and three years ago, Cobras were cracking into the 11s -- unofficially. Whatever 'unofficially' means... Someone with a G-Tech in the local K-mart parking lot? I care less and less about the new GTOs, there aren't many out on the streets. And, GM's history for high levels of sales will not support a vehicle that sells less units than their icon, the Corvette. There can be anything on the drawing board for 07, and they may be doing it to gauge interest. But, as of right now, if this new 05 GTO doesn't start moving (without massive discounts), then 06s will just be rebadged 05s and the venture will die - IMHO.

ULTIMATE ORANGE SS

Established Member
FredK'03Cobra said:
Fine, and three years ago, Cobras were cracking into the 11s -- unofficially. Whatever 'unofficially' means... Someone with a G-Tech in the local K-mart parking lot? I care less and less about the new GTOs, there aren't many out on the streets. And, GM's history for high levels of sales will not support a vehicle that sells less units than their icon, the Corvette. There can be anything on the drawing board for 07, and they may be doing it to gauge interest. But, as of right now, if this new 05 GTO doesn't start moving (without massive discounts), then 06s will just be rebadged 05s and the venture will die - IMHO.

believe what you want.05 GTOs will run 12s in stock form.

people have run these cars but nothing has been published.thats what unofficial means.

you say GTOs dont sell well.

but 04 cobra sales were similar.

SynMan5.0

Established Member
I like the new GTO just for the fact that it is a 2 door V8 muscle car. Other than that I hate it. For GM to resurrect the GTO name after all those years with the car we have now is an embarassment IMO. They were hoping that the name itself would sell the car. That's why they simply slapped the Pontiac logo on an Aussie car. They may realize their mistake and try to redeem themselves with a new model, but I doubt anything will happen if they continue to sell like they have been. The new '05 goat is almost worse than the '04. Sure, they're putting a 400 hp LS2 in the '05. That's a start. But then they add a couple scoops to the hood and expect that alone to change everyone's opinion of the car? Give me a break. The 'sport appearance package' is even worse. I like to refer to it as the 'ricer appearance package'. GM needs to pull it's head out of it's ass. I'm not a huge fan of the styling of the LS1 Camaros, but I have to admitt that they were the apitemy of a muscle car. The new GTOs are heavy, ugly, and slow. They definitely don't deserve the name.

RAZRS EDGE

Stay Humble
Established Member
The 04's are not what they should be at all. I went to test drive in May and was hoping it would be close to my moms 00' WS6, it wasn't. I was kinda disappointed. It felt heavy after 1st gear, bad. The only plus about the whole car were the seats and the exhaust tone. Thats it.
I am curious to see how the 05's will perform, but I bet they will only be good for about 13.2's. Not all that impressive for "400hp". Considering the 02' F-bods had 325(underrated) HP and ran mid and with a little luck low 13's. But they do weigh a little less and have a solid rear. They need to either kill it, start from scratch or bring back the F-bodies.

FredK'03Cobra

Established Member
ULTIMATEORANGES said:

It's a well known fact that Cobra sales have been flat, effected by several things including dealer addendum pricing. But, the most important thing that hurt Cobra sales, was the early photo releases of the anticipated '05 Mustang. The 03/04s were the end of a 25 year run. Potential buyers put their wallets back in their pockets, and awaited the '05s release.
The GTO is a making a new debut. For all of the GM build up, and anticipation by the GM faithful, this is a bust. The car isn't even competing against any siblings like the Camaro or Firebird. There is nothing really wrong with the car, and I'm not disputing the potential for it with some modification to achieve better numbers than what have been published. But to the bean-counters, this has to be registering as a major flop. GM sold more Fieros in their first year out, and that vehicle was a two-seater (always a low volume market) and had much less push or coverage in the press.

rezcobra

Established Member
ULTIMATEORANGES said:
believe what you want.05 GTOs will run 12s in stock form.

people have run these cars but nothing has been published.thats what unofficial means.

But the Cobras weren't meant to sell alot. Its always been like that, but unlike the GTO the Cobra is based on the regular production Mustang. The Mustang had more sales in November than GTO had all year. The GTO has a good drivetrain. You say they will be running 12s in stock form? It has the power to do so but, I kinda doubt it with the 245 tires they get from the factory and the car being heavy as it is. Thats one of the big issues with the GTO is getting the power to the ground because of its limited wheelwells. A firm here in Phoenix is addressing that with modified body panels to allow bigger tires in the back, but it requires bucks just to get started. I agree GM shoulda done a better job.

Jesse@MBRP

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
I smoked a GTO last weekend, my truck isn't exactly stock but who would have thought a high 11 second truck would spank a GTO with a 75 shot. Of course we did this at the strip so we have time slips but my ET was 12.03@ 113 and his was 12.99@ 106. I didn't even hook that well cause it was so cold outside. GTO's are cool cars but not anything to compare to a lightning or a cobra.

Users who are viewing this thread