'04 Stock Front End, Need to Put the Rear Down

DownTown

Established Member
Hey guys, I've search through this forum for a while and can't find exactly what I'm looking for so here's the deal.

I have an '04 that has stock suspension. I want to leave the front where it is and just bring down the rear. Right now the rear fender is 3" higher than the front. I want to bring the rear fender down about 2". Maybe 1.5".

Shackles are the easiest way right? What shackles will give me this?

Company, p/n, or where to buy would be helpful. Or if someone has a link where this has been discuss would be good to.

:burnout:

Fade 2 Black

Gen 2 Diehard
Established Member
A 2" won't level an 04, they only drop about 1.5" If you get the shackles for a chevy they will do much better as they are longer and the same bolt wise as the ones for our trucks. I have a part number at home that I can post up later tonight for you.

Torched_03

Stock!
Established Member
ID 10 T said:
A 2" won't level an 04, they only drop about 1.5" If you get the shackles for a chevy they will do much better as they are longer and the same bolt wise as the ones for our trucks. I have a part number at home that I can post up later tonight for you.

Or you can use different Hangers.......PITA but its a choice. Thats the next for mine to make it set level.....damn eibach lowering kit.

DownTown

Established Member
Yeah part numbers, brands or other specifics would be great. I don't want to swap springs. I need the load capacity of the '04.

If anyone has any pictures from the side of trucks that have done the same 1.5 or 2" drop in the rear that would be cool too. I want a true 1.5-2" drop of the rear fender.

Also if I lower the rear 2" with shackles, do I have to do anything to adjust the drive line?

sharkbite

Filthy
Established Member
RidnRodsLightng said:
you can also change out the leafs - put in 01-02 leafs and use shackles...
What she said. Get leafs for an '01-'02 and use shackles. Easiest and cheapest way that I've found.

sharkbite

Filthy
Established Member
Here's our '04 w/ '02 leafs and 2" lowering shackles... We used 1" lowering springs in the front as well...
P8222467-vi.jpg

P8222481-vi.jpg

sharkbite

Filthy
Established Member
Oh yeah... Forgot about those. We got our '02 leafs for free, so I guess that was easier for us. Had I remembered those, I might've gone a different route.

DownTown

Established Member
Thanks guys!! On those JLP shackles you can order 2,3, or 4" shackles but it looks like there's extra holes. If you get the 3 or 4" shackles can you mount it in a lower hole if you want to get the back end up a little?

I saw someone mentioning that the 3" JLPs really only lower the truck 2" and the 4"ers lower it 3". Has anyone found this to be the case?

Anyone have any experience with these? http://www.rpmoutlet.com/lightmagna.htm

Last edited:

Bootbox

Established Member
The JLP shackles are only sold one way. You just pick if you want to use the 2, 3, or 4" holes on them. And yes, the 4" hole will lower it just about 3"

As far as the driveshaft angle correction, most '03 and '04 owners have had good luck with just spinning the factory installed pinion shims 180 degrees when they use big shackles.

I had my '01 on the 3" hole with the JLP shackles and I didn't like how loose it made the rearend to be honest. If you get them and go with the 3 or 4" hole, don't go in hot and lift off the gas in a high speed sweeper, you'll be a spinnin' for sure.

Also, you will lose some load capacity with any rear drop you do unless you add helper air bags. Just so you know.

DownTown

Established Member
Bootbox said:
The JLP shackles are only sold one way. You just pick if you want to use the 2, 3, or 4" holes on them. And yes, the 4" hole will lower it just about 3".

The link that Sinster04L put up lets you choose a 2, 3, or 4" link.

And the loss of capacity is from loss of travel?

Bootbox

Established Member
I don't know why the site is setup like that, they only sell one shackle and it's got all the holes in it.

Loss of capacity is two part to be honest. Primarily, the axle winds up a lot closer to the frame and if you put 1500lbs in it with a 4" shackle out back you'll be riding the bumpstops all over town. Also of concern though is that any drop shackle creates a slightly unstable condition out back, obviously more prevalent with the super long 3 and 4 inch units. All that weight out back combined with the sloppy rear end long shackles give you just isn't safe basically. I'd limit your loads to 800lbs if you go with the 4" units, which is what you'd need to level it out and bring the rear down enough.

DownTown

Established Member
I'm not looking to level it totally. Just move the rear down an inch and a half or two tops. It sounds like the JLPs might be longer than what I'm looking for.

Any other suggestions?

Is there a company that makes leafs that will lower the rear 1.5-2" without sacrificing load capacity?

Sinister04L

RIP Kane
Established Member
DownTown said:
I'm not looking to level it totally. Just move the rear down an inch and a half or two tops. It sounds like the JLPs might be longer than what I'm looking for.

Any other suggestions?

Is there a company that makes leafs that will lower the rear 1.5-2" without sacrificing load capacity?

The JLP shackles are only sold one way. It has 3 holes in it so you can set it on the 2, 3, or 4 inch drop. I don't know why they set up the website like that. Yes the 4 inch drop will only really give you about 3 inches, maybe a little less. I have mine set on the 3 inch hole, and my truck has a slight rake to it, which is what I want. Putting it on the 4 inch hole would completely level it out. I'd go with these, that way you have the option of making it look how you want. :thumbsup:

sharkbite

Filthy
Established Member
cody_04L said:
Sharkbite,

What did you do with the shims? Just take them out?
I think so. We had a guy do them for us and I wasn't as much concerned with the "how" as to what it looked like afterwards. I'm pretty sure he removed them.

Users who are viewing this thread