05 E55 AMG vs. 06 BMW M5

BLK96NAPWER

Established Member
So over the weekend, I had the opportunity to race BIG_3ETR's E60 06 BMW M5! We ran from 2nd to 150mph, 3rd to 150mph, and finaly 4th to 150. All I can say is that BIG is looking at selling his M5 for a S65 AMG Benz. From 2nd, my AMG put a car on him, then another car in third, and then from there to 150 we were dead locked(E55 maintaining the 2 car lead). The other races ended the same, with the AMG pulling the M5 by 2 cars immeadiatly then holding on to win by the 2 car lengths at 150mph. I think that with the governors off and we had raced to 200mph, he would have made some of the 2 car lead up(but not all of it). At 140 his car seems to inch up on the AMG slightly(must be the V10). Well hope you enjoy the story, as it is not very often two $90,000.00 USD cars run at these speeds for fun. The E55 is definatly faster stock for stock than the M5 on the roll, case closed(stock for stock). When the track opens, we will have the chance to race from a dig, thats if he keeps the M5 :D Laterz.

ChrisUlrich

Metallica
Established Member
It's funny I read this... at the track 2 weeks ago there was a brand new M5s running 12.7s @ 113-115. He said the E55 had a much better ET for damn sure but the M5 rides nicer and handles better.

BLK96NAPWER

Established Member
I would agree that the E55 is more of a comfort based ride and the M5 is more of a pure sports car ride based on being in both cars. This is true judging both cars on their firmest suspension settings.

REPCobra10

Established Member
Great kill man! I always wondered how those two would fair against eachother on the street...now I know. I know the E55 will rip the M5 hard out of the hole, but I thought it would pull back on the E55 up top, but I guess not. I'd rather have the E55 anyways because they're is nothing like driving a blown V8. Anyways, take it easy.

bmfgsxr

Established Member
two very awesome cars. ive always wanted both, although i do prefer the benz in some respects, but i like the better sports platform of the bmw. either way, would have been nice to get some video of the events..

TORNATIC!!

Established Member
evoviiiyou said:
So over the weekend, I had the opportunity to race BIG_3ETR's E60 06 BMW M5! We ran from 2nd to 150mph, 3rd to 150mph, and finaly 4th to 150. All I can say is that BIG is looking at selling his M5 for a S65 AMG Benz. From 2nd, my AMG put a car on him, then another car in third, and then from there to 150 we were dead locked(E55 maintaining the 2 car lead). The other races ended the same, with the AMG pulling the M5 by 2 cars immeadiatly then holding on to win by the 2 car lengths at 150mph. I think that with the governors off and we had raced to 200mph, he would have made some of the 2 car lead up(but not all of it). At 140 his car seems to inch up on the AMG slightly(must be the V10). Well hope you enjoy the story, as it is not very often two $90,000.00 USD cars run at these speeds for fun. The E55 is definatly faster stock for stock than the M5 on the roll, case closed(stock for stock). When the track opens, we will have the chance to race from a dig, thats if he keeps the M5 :D Laterz.

Good run but the E55 is not faster from a roll. Maybe the M5 wasn't fully broken in yet if it's the '06 M5. I'd love for you to post this on m5board.com :-D

Here's a link to a video of a stock E60 M5 racing a E55 AMG from a roll:

http://videos.streetfire.net/search/m5/0/6405C2D0-922B-4E4E-8971-771D2A2488DA.htm

It's also be proven in many tests done by other owners of both cars as well as mags. The E55 AMG is quicker on low end but as speeds increases the M5 shouldn't have much of a problem.

Last edited:

BLK96NAPWER

Established Member
I hate to break it to you, but BIG3_ETR will tell you what I have posted is the case. His car is broken in nicely as he drives her alot. He is also one of the best drivers in a fast car, so I know he shifted the shiz out of his M. Also I would like to add that we raced about ten times and the outcome was the same every time, no joke. I was surprised, but to say that the V10 shouldn't have a problem up top is crazy. I was there and more importantly a die hard M5 owner, that is a great driver, admits this loss on more than one occassion through out the evening. So in this case YES the E55 is faster than this particular M5. That video was also produced by the M5board so maybe alitlle biased or the driver in the E did not shift the paddles correctly :D .
TORNATIC!! said:
Good run but the E55 is not faster from a roll. Maybe the M5 wasn't fully broken in yet if it's the '06 M5. I'd love for you to post this on m5board.com :-D

Here's a link to a video of a stock E60 M5 racing a E55 AMG from a roll:

http://videos.streetfire.net/search/m5/0/6405C2D0-922B-4E4E-8971-771D2A2488DA.htm

It's also be proven in many tests done by other owners of both cars as well as mags. The E55 AMG is quicker on low end but as speeds increases the M5 shouldn't have much of a problem.

Last edited by a moderator:

300bhp/ton

I just like cars!!!
Established Member
evoviiiyou said:
He is also one of the best drivers in a fast car, so I know he shifted the shiz out of his M.
How exactly do you shift the "shiz" out of a sequential gearbox, it's not driver dependant at all, you simply set the gearbox up with the iDrive and pull a lever to shift :confused:

BLK96NAPWER

Established Member
Sure its driver dependent. He has to hit the paddles at the optimum RPM. I have driven his car before and I can tell you I am not that good at extracting the max performance out of the M. Sure over time just like anything, I would get it so I could hit those gears violently. I guess my point was that he can shift that M properly(quickly, maximizing performance) To let everyone know that it was not driver error on his part. But let me say that when I go in his M5 and he does paddle it properly it is very impressive. Sorry that you are confused.
300bhp/ton said:
How exactly do you shift the "shiz" out of a sequential gearbox, it's not driver dependant at all, you simply set the gearbox up with the iDrive and pull a lever to shift :confused:

6SpeedLover

Established Member
Hey man< if you want my opnion. First off i Totally Respect any 55 made by Benz. I had a chance to drive the ML 55 (HEAVY MACHINE) and it still plastered me into the seat, they do there homework on those beasts... Anyhow, you have a good point with when to hit the paddles, not as easy as it sounds... Awesome killz man, and i dont think that anyone with 100k tied up into 2 cars is "CONFUSED" at all... ;-)

"WILL RACE FOR FOOD"

black99lightnin

move along
Established Member
560Sl said:
Give me an E55 anyday over an M5...

+1

A few weeks back there were a couple of BMW's running. A new M5 and a M3. Really didn't catch the M3's times, but the M5 was high 12's low 13's on every pass. I thought they were supposed to be closer to 11's. Kinda slow for $90K and 500hp.

Users who are viewing this thread