06-07 Cobra news from Autoweek

Sonic03inSC

Established Member

Betting on SVT Futures: Ford's new hands have big plans for in-house tuner brand

BOB GRITZINGER
Posted Date: 2/14/05
Maybe all the fretting, all the online chatter, all the enthusiast gnashing of teeth about the future of Ford’s Special Vehicle Team is unwarranted. Maybe we are just seeing a lull in production at that granddaddy of domestic in-house performance tuners.

“I hope so, or else I’m out of a job,” says Ford engineer Hau Thai-Tang, the newly named director of SVT, replacing SVT icon John Coletti who retired at the end of 2004.

Something tells us Thai-Tang, the Vietnamese native who recently completed his self-described dream job—as chief engineer on the 2005 Mustang development team—won’t hurt for work anytime soon. But whether that work focuses on future SVT vehicles, and what form those products might take, remains to be seen.

Rest assured, though, Thai-Tang and his boss, Ford product creation vice president Phil Martens (himself a relative newbie, having just taken control of the product leadership position at Ford after the Dec. 1 retirement of engineering whiz Chris Theodore), are saying the right things.

Martens will admit he was getting upward of 15 letters a day from alarmed SVT faithful after Coletti’s retirement announcement. But his answers to them:

“SVT is actually bigger, staff-wise, than ever before.”
“We see SVT growing to about five products.”
“SVT is, and will remain, a Ford-branded product.”
“The core of every SVT program is its powertrain; second is chassis dynamics.”
“The next-generation Cobra will be the best one ever.”
Martens, who approved the next SVT Cobra a day before we interviewed him in January, pointed to the Mustang as an example of a product engineer*ed from the outset with an SVT version in mind.

SVT products need to be created as part of a model plan, instead of being develop*ed after the main product line has left the drawing board, he says. That way it will prevent embarrassing program delays (see SVT Lightning) or cancellations, and allow Ford to use SVT as a launching pad for new performance technologies, says Martens.

That’s fine when it comes to finances and product planning, but doesn’t a large portion of SVT’s success lie in its indepen*- dence from the mother ship? Or are they starting to learn lessons about integration from upstarts at Chrysler Street and Racing Technology and GM Performance Division?

Martens says SVT will remain a stand-alone operation, at least physically, but the team will now enjoy a direct line of communication to the product development office. “We really need to bring SVT back to its roots, into the mainstream of product development, if we’re going to take SVT to the next level. SVT needs to be an integral part of product development.”

So what can fans expect? Martens says SVT will maintain its core of high-performance V8-powered rear-wheel-drive vehicles. It will expand into inline four-cylinder cars as well. And it will break ground venturing into all-wheel-drive performance models. Turbo- and superchargers also figure prominently. And SVT will draw heavily on lessons learned developing the Ford GT, from its racing experience, and with engineers who bring cross-systems expertise.

Thai-Tang says under his stewardship he aims to make sure SVT core values of performance, exclusivity, substance and value remain intact. “It’s easy to build a strong-performing $100,000 car,” he says. “It’s a lot harder to do a strong-performing $20,000 car. You have to be a lot more creative.”

Martens admits even when you put all the pieces in place, you still must have “the moxie to develop the products—you have to have people with cars at the core of their essence.”

One of those guys, SVT papa Coletti, wishes his successors the best: “We’ve laid down a lot of rubber, and I hope the company will continue to do that.”

Lookin’ Live

When Ford rolls out the SVT Cobra version of its all-new Mustang at the New York auto show in March, take a peek underneath. If our sources are right, your prying eyes will spy a live rear axle—not an independent rear suspension, the setup that would be in keeping with the suspension on the outgoing model, and is therefore anticipated by the SVT Cobra faithful.

Ford execs are officially mum, including product chief Phil Martens, who said as recently as the Detroit auto show that no decision had been made on the Cobra’s suspension. Hau Thai-Tang, chief engineer on the 2005 Mustang and now SVT chief, did hint we can expect the next Cobra to surpass 400 hp (we hear 450 hp) and hit a price of about $40,000. The SVT Cobra goes on sale in 2006 as an ’07 model.

CY98Cobra

Established Member
I cant wait to see the new cobra and the other models that svt is working on. maybe they will step up and smack down the dodge srt crap, taking back the crown in the performance market they created 12 yeas ago.

flyn high again

You are getting sleepy...
Established Member
I talked to SVT today and Mark said to keep an eye out for the New York auto show next month. That is still the official release venue for the new Cobra.

xason

10 seconds isn't cheap
Established Member
Hopefully it looks nothing like that picture though.

Orange Poison

Established Member
xason said:
Hopefully it looks nothing like that picture though.

I hear that.....they got to 86 those side view mirrors, rear wing, front valance, & the hood. Just like they did with the 03/04 Cobras. They made it cleaner looking than the Mustang GT at that time.

Last edited:

Farmer-Ted

I pooped a little.
Established Member
If that's a picture of the Cobra prototype, look at the added hood bulge. At least they are keeping the supercharger. Anyone think it may be a SC version of the 3 valve engine?

blk04cobra1

1000rwhp coming soon
Established Member
well they do have some competition with the new S281-E (500hp stock)...It would probably be in their best interest to have something close to that and for $40k isnt too bad, considering the Saleen will probably close to $60k...

Black2003Cobra

Established Member
Good info. But if they don't keep the weight in check and make it over 500 bhp (over ~450 rwhp), I wouldn't be interested. And I hope they make the stick axle an option. Since I drive mostly on the street, I'd prefer a beefed up IRS. (And pistons that don't melt.)

03yellow

Established Member
$20,000 car.... There goes the internals.

A 450 hp piece of junk with cheap pistons! You may get another 100 hp out of it before.... meltdown!!!

Better off getting a Lightning truck!!!!

CY98Cobra

Established Member
so all you 03/4 guys arent interested in a car with more power, a chassis that is 1 million times better than the one our cars ride on, a bigger motor, better supercharger and a better interior for just a few thousand more than what your cars cost new?

the 07 cobra is going to be the best cobra yet. if you can get serious power out of a 4.6 with a pulley swap, imagine a 5.4 twin screw with a pulley swap. to say you wont pay a little more for that is just dumb. of course, this is all assuming that they use the 5.4 twin screw like i've read so many times.

and it obviously is not going to look like that. thats a gt body with a modified hood to hide the motor they are testing.

Last edited:

Black2003Cobra

Established Member
I’m all for a stiffer chassis, but that’s not enough. Why? Because w/ just a CB and drop in K&N filter, my ’03 made 405 hp at the wheels…that’s in the neighborhood of 475 at the crank! And we all know what just a little more boost, CAI and chip will get you. Also, from what we know of the new GTs and the rumors we’ve heard about the new Cobra, this thing is still going to be a fat pig. So with only 400 bhp, the power-to-weight ratio will suck. So no – I wouldn’t be interested.

Now if we’re talking the 5.4L w/ a twin screw, that motor should be able to safely produce well over 500 bhp. In that case, sure – I’d be interested. Otherwise no. If they want to remain competitive, I personally don’t see how they have any choice to do otherwise.

CY98Cobra

Established Member
everything points to the 5.4 twin screw. and do you really think ford is going to make a new cobra with 400 hp when they know the 03/4's made around 425 bone stock. i look for the cobra to be underrated at 450 and lighter than the current model. not to mention the stick axle (which is 31 spline), talk about drag strip terror.

putawaywet

Established Member
I'm in total agreement with you on everything except the weight issue. I'm still not 100% sold on the idea that SVT understands how big of an issue that is with us.

venomous99

Established Member
all the new cobra haters will fall in love with the car when it comes out. when we all saw the 05mustang come out we all hated it but now im wishing i had one(except with my 03motor in it)lol

Users who are viewing this thread