06-07 Cobra news from Autoweek

CGoeschel

Established Member
Do you all really think that they're not going to put out a vehicle that is leaps and bounds ahead of what the '03-'04 was/is? Get real...........the cars going to have more horsepower, as much or more torque, in a chassis that is (although heavier) ten times better than the one it replaces and its probably going to take to mods as good or better than what youve got right now..............its called progress. Ive had three '03-'04 Cobras in the last year........I can tell you from experience now that Ive got the current GT that the new car is better virtually every way compared to the Cobras other than the powertrain (motor) and the ride quality of the independent rear. Im sorry that some of you dont want to pay 40k+ for a high performance Mustang, but I dont think Ford is shooting for the price conscious 29K car buying consumer on these vehicles.

drmustang

Banned
CGoeschel said:
Do you all really think that they're not going to put out a vehicle that is leaps and bounds ahead of what the '03-'04 was/is? Get real...........the cars going to have more horsepower, as much or more torque, in a chassis that is (although heavier) ten times better than the one it replaces and its probably going to take to mods as good or better than what youve got right now..............its called progress. Ive had three '03-'04 Cobras in the last year........I can tell you from experience now that Ive got the current GT that the new car is better virtually every way compared to the Cobras other than the powertrain (motor) and the ride quality of the independent rear. Im sorry that some of you dont want to pay 40k+ for a high performance Mustang, but I dont think Ford is shooting for the price conscious 29K car buying consumer on these vehicles.
You can be certain that there are more than just a few potential buyers who will be inhibited by a 40K price tag. The 04's stickered around 36K. A substantial number of these did not sell until a 3K rebate and a 3K discount were applied. New 04's are still available.

CountySoldier

500 RWHP SVT COBRA
Established Member
I should hope the '07 is going to have the HP to run with the new Z06 and the new Viper...they have some big shoes to fill replacing the 03/04 terminators! I hope 500 hp is base HP.

JB2245

drmustang said:
You can be certain that there are more than just a few potential buyers who will be inhibited by a 40K price tag. The 04's stickered around 36K. A substantial number of these did not sell until a 3K rebate and a 3K discount were applied. New 04's are still available.

Why do you think they didn't sell? It couldn't possibly be that people are waiting for the new cobra to come out could it? If Ford didn't plan on introducing a new cobra in the next year, you can bet that I would have an 04 in my driveway right now. I think a lot of 04's didn't sell because of the new one coming out. At least that's why I didn't buy one. And I'm sure the same is true for a lot of other people

03reptile

Established Member
I think we all need to take a breath here. Every time some magazine starts printing supposed facts about what a new car is going to be, everyone starts postulating and getting upset. (IE $40k price, no IRS ect.) Its been my experince in buying new Hi Po Fords for the past forty years that it is speculation, at best. Its exactly like crime. Newspapers get few facts from the police during the preliminary investigations and they simply plug in what they think....and guess what?, most of the time they're wrong. I know Ford doesn't want to jack up the price and Colletti was very clear on that. I don't think that mantra has changed even though he has left SVT. I think they'll keep the price competetive with what we'de expect to pay above a standard GT and I bet they retain the IRS. Too much work went into that suspension and they are sure to have designed it into the new 05 chassis. They might offer a live axle as an option. Who know? Not us and certainly not these car mags who profess to be clairvoyant. I'll bet we'll all be very happy with what finally comes off the line and I for one will be buying one. Hope I didn't offend anyone.

drmustang

Banned
Pojack said:
Why do you think they didn't sell? It couldn't possibly be that people are waiting for the new cobra to come out could it? If Ford didn't plan on introducing a new cobra in the next year, you can bet that I would have an 04 in my driveway right now. I think a lot of 04's didn't sell because of the new one coming out. At least that's why I didn't buy one. And I'm sure the same is true for a lot of other people
Why buy an 06/07 if you have so much patience. Just wait till the 09's or the 2013's arrive> They will be faster and more technologically advanced. The 03/04's sold well after they were discounted 6 or 7K. It is about money not what may or may not be coming in a year or two. A $40,000 Mustang is going to be a very, very tough sell.

crazyhorse06

Established Member
drmustang said:
Why buy an 06/07 if you have so much patience. Just wait till the 09's or the 2013's arrive> They will be faster and more technologically advanced. The 03/04's sold well after they were discounted 6 or 7K. It is about money not what may or may not be coming in a year or two. A $40,000 Mustang is going to be a very, very tough sell.
to a point I agree money had a lot to do with it, but, not for me. I was shopping for the '03 when the '05 concept was revealed. I decided to wait for the Cobra version of it. I plan to only buy one and keep it for a long time. I realize there will always be a better one on the horizon, but, there was too much improvement to ignore in this change. I owned 2 of the fairmount chassis'd Mustangs. I waited for the complete chassis redesign (and the wait is killing me).

JB2245

drmustang said:

Why buy an old body style when you know that in a year or two, something new is going to be released? I doubt that ford will change this body style for at least five years....Five years too long to wait? Yes....Two years too long to wait? IMO, no. By the way, if everyone keeps on talking about 450-500 HP stock, it's obviously going to cost more money for that much horsepower. Unless you want to pay an extra 15 grand for a corvette which will have less horsepower. Or shell out an extra $30 grand for a ZO6.

drmustang

Banned
The "old style" chasis on the 03 Cobra works great for me. The 05's are stiffer and pull a few extra points on the g force meter which is good but not what I would consider enough incentive to wait 2 or 3 years for the upgrade. It is common knowledge that the 03/04 models produce around 425HP at the flywheel in stock form. 525 is easily reached with the addition of a few bolt-ons. Hopefully the 07 Cobra will be what you're waiting for. That remains uncertain at this point.

CY98Cobra

Established Member
CountySoldier said:
I should hope the '07 is going to have the HP to run with the new Z06 and the new Viper...they have some big shoes to fill replacing the 03/04 terminators! I hope 500 hp is base HP.

The cobra will not come close to the new z06. the new z06 has its eyes set on the ford gt, and if you think ford is going to release a $40,000 mustang that will run with their flagship $150,000 gt you are nuts. The 03/4 cobra did not run with a z06 (equal drivers) and neither will the 07.

And the 05 mustang hampered sales of all pre 05 mustangs, cobras included.

in a recent interview with svt they said they knew weight was a big issue with the 03/4 cobra's and they were working very hard on lightening the new one. a solid axle alone helps save about 125 pounds and i would be willing to bet the new cobra will use an aluminum block, another 70-80 pound weight savings.

at the end of the interview the svt spokesperson said the new cobra is everything the enthusiasts are asking for and more. but of course, only time will tell.

CountySoldier

500 RWHP SVT COBRA
Established Member
Black98COBRA said:
The cobra will not come close to the new z06. the new z06 has its eyes set on the ford gt, and if you think ford is going to release a $40,000 mustang that will run with their flagship $150,000 gt you are nuts. The 03/4 cobra did not run with a z06 (equal drivers) and neither will the 07. [?QUOTE]

Well call me nuts if you like but an 03/04 Cobra driven right wasn't but a few tenths of a sec behind a Z06. I have read numerous articles from SVT stating that the new COBRA is being built to compete with the ZO6.
Also, how can you bring the FORD GT into this? The Z06 isn't even almost in the same class as the GT. I see you drive a 98' Cobra...it shows!

Last edited:

JB2245

drmustang said:
The "old style" chasis on the 03 Cobra works great for me. The 05's are stiffer and pull a few extra points on the g force meter which is good but not what I would consider enough incentive to wait 2 or 3 years for the upgrade. It is common knowledge that the 03/04 models produce around 425HP at the flywheel in stock form. 525 is easily reached with the addition of a few bolt-ons. Hopefully the 07 Cobra will be what you're waiting for. That remains uncertain at this point.

You don't think they will also underrate the 07? With a blown 5.4 and some bolt ons, you don't think that it will surpass a modded 4.6? Ford has already stated this will be the best mustang ever. Granted it will cost $40,000, but I like cobras, and I have the money to afford it. As do many other people. Name another American car that has 450 hp (underrated) and costs $40,000.

drmustang

Banned
Pojack said:
You don't think they will also underrate the 07? With a blown 5.4 and some bolt ons, you don't think that it will surpass a modded 4.6? Ford has already stated this will be the best mustang ever. Granted it will cost $40,000, but I like cobras, and I have the money to afford it. As do many other people. Name another American car that has 450 hp (underrated) and costs $40,000.
Will the 07 be underated? Unknown. Will it be a 5.4? Unknown. Will it be a 5.4 S/C? Unknown. Will it sticker @ 40K,45K? Unknown. How do you Know all these things.
Personally 40k or 45k is within my financial capabilities. Would I spend in excess of $40,000 for a Mustang? No, and neither would most other people for two very obvious reasons;
1)They can't afford it.
2)They buy an alternative (possibly used) at that level.

Codes

ROLL PRINCE ROLL!!!!
Established Member
CountySoldier said:
Well call me nuts if you like but an 03/04 Cobra driven right wasn't but a few tenths of a sec behind a Z06. I have read numerous articles from SVT stating that the new COBRA is being built to compete with the ZO6.
Also, how can you bring the FORD GT into this? The Z06 isn't even almost in the same class as the GT. I see you drive a 98' Cobra...it shows!

You obviously havent read anything on the new Z06. While the performance of the new Z06 wont be better or even right there with the GT, it will not be far behind...and you will be paying much less for it too. And yes, in a straight line a Cobra will keep up with a Z06 if the Cobra driver is on top of his game...but get on a road course and watch as the Z06 pulls away turn after turn. And I am sorry, but I find it highly doubtful that the new Cobra will be able to compete with the Z06 in any other category than Straight line acceleration (suprise, some people buy a car for more than that :idea: ). And of course, we are talking about one car we know almost nothing about and another car we know even less about, so right now its all speculation.

Edit: And that was pretty shitty remark about the 98 Cobra. I dont see what that has to do with anything, we all love Cobras here...no reason to be pricks to fellow Cobra owners just because they dont own a 03/04 :nonono:

Last edited:

JB2245

drmustang said:
Will the 07 be underated? Unknown. Will it be a 5.4? Unknown. Will it be a 5.4 S/C? Unknown. Will it sticker @ 40K,45K? Unknown. How do you Know all these things.
Personally 40k or 45k is within my financial capabilities. Would I spend in excess of $40,000 for a Mustang? No, and neither would most other people for two very obvious reasons;
1)They can't afford it.

Is it worth it to wait and see what they've been working on for the last year without releasing an 05 model? To me, yes. Do I think it will be 450 hp? yes. With all the speculation of having a $40,000 price tag, it better be at least 450hp, and I'm sure they will underrate the thing the same way they did with the 03/04's. If it's cheaper than $40,000 and has less horsepower than has been speculated, well, I've still waited it out for a new cobra and still won't be disappointed I'm sure.

putawaywet

Established Member
drmustang said:
1)They can't afford it.

Just out of curiosity, how do you know what MOST people will or will not spend? Because IMO, that also remains to be seen. Or in your words.... that is also UNKNOWN.

Last edited:

drmustang

Banned
What happened to the Ford Thunderbird could happen to the Ford Cobra if it gets to pricey. T-Bird was also a highly anticipated Ford model with many interested potential buyers. Unfortunately it had a serious, sales inhibiting problem-Price. Pricing crushed it after the initial demand bulge was satisfied and the car went out of production due to poor sales. 40K or 45K sticker prices on Ford cars doesn't work.Many 03/04 Cobras priced in the mid 30's were not sold for 1-2 years after arriving at the dealers. I bought my 03 last spring for 29K and had choices of colors at that point. There are new 04 Cobras still looking for a home.

Users who are viewing this thread