07 GT500 57/47 Weight Balance...

pennywisegt

Audio & Video Production
Established Member
Although it is not engraved yet, ford has us all thinking they will put the 5.4 out of the f150 in the new cobra gt500 adding 350lbs over the gt model for more power, putting the front to rear weight distribution at around 57 front - 43 rear.....do you guys really think thats worth it? IRS doesn't look probable so the thing isn't really aimed at cornering, but 5.4 over 4.6 just for more grunt when the 4.6 can already do that for less weight?

01LightningGal

Gloria
Established Member
In this, and another post, people were saying that the GT500 is gaining 350lbs over the front axle.

What are they doing.............. using a lead hood??? Lead wheels??? Sandbags instead of shocks???

When the iron blocked 03/04 Cobra came out, the statistic is that the iron block was 70lbs heavier than the aluminum block. It was also quoted that the supercharger/intercooler added about 70lbs. The difference in weight between the 4.6 and 5.4 iron block is not going to be much. Thus, where is the extra 210lbs coming from???

I do understand that the car will gain some weight over the GT. There is heavier supporting hardware, and larger wheels and tires. The rear axle is the same, however.

I think the 350lbs over the GT could come into play if you are comparing it to a bone stock w/no options GT. This then becomes understandable, as the Cobras............ and the upcoming GT500 will be pretty much loaded.

Does anyone know what the base weight of the Mustang GT is??? w/no options.

1CEBITN

Blue by you!
Established Member
Don't forget that it will "lose" weight from the IRS so, compared to the 03/04 Cobras it probably won't be much heavier if any at all. The 03/04 Cobras were 400 pounds or so heavier than the 03/04 GT so what is the big deal? The 03/04 Cobras also had around a 57/43 front/rear weight distribution I believe. None of this is anything new for Cobra owners.

So the 350 pound difference equates to about 35 horsepower the Cobra will give up against the GT. So that only gives it a 165 horsepower advantage instead of 200. Does it really make a difference when comparing those two cars? You are talking a mid 13's car versus a high 11's car... Who cares about weight?

Codes

ROLL PRINCE ROLL!!!!
Established Member
DUDE, it doesnt matter. Its the new Cobra, lets not pick it apart cause then we might eventually come to the conclusion that it really isnt that great (like a few already have)...lets just lay back and accept it. After a while it wont hurt so much....

E. Green Cobra

Bounced in the 1st!
Established Member
Codes said:
DUDE, it doesnt matter. Its the new Cobra, lets not pick it apart cause then we might eventually come to the conclusion that it really isnt that great (like a few already have)...lets just lay back and accept it. After a while it wont hurt so much....

look I found some lube :rockon:
1CEBITN said:
Don't forget that it will "lose" weight from the IRS so, compared to the 03/04 Cobras it probably won't be much heavier if any at all. The 03/04 Cobras were 400 pounds or so heavier than the 03/04 GT so what is the big deal? The 03/04 Cobras also had around a 57/43 front/rear weight distribution I believe. None of this is anything new for Cobra owners.

So the 350 pound difference equates to about 35 horsepower the Cobra will give up against the GT. So that only gives it a 165 horsepower advantage instead of 200. Does it really make a difference when comparing those two cars? You are talking a mid 13's car versus a high 11's car... Who cares about weight?

First - the weight of the irs would um be at the rear- giving a better dist.
Second- since this chassis was "designed with an irs in mind" there would be no need for a heavy-a$$ subframe for the irs to sit in. therefore you wouldn't have near as much a weight savings between the two.

Nothing like taking an unbalanced car and trying to overcome its shortcomings by adding more power :rollseyes, this car is going to be an 800lb gorilla playing amongst spider monkeys and nothing more :bored:

I can see the magazines slaughtering the car now- too bad too, since they were all goo-goo-gah gah over the GT, and the Mustang gt- just when you thought Ford had turned it around....

Last edited:

mingrey02gt

Established Member
aoe_viruz said:
the 03/04 cobras have a 58/46 weight ratio, there's hardly any difference to the new GT500

Considering that 2005 GT's have a 52/48 front/back weight ratio, 57/43 would be a big letdown.

Codes

ROLL PRINCE ROLL!!!!
Established Member
E. Green Cobra said:
look I found some lube :rockon:

First - the weight of the irs would um be at the rear- giving a better dist.
Second- since this chassis was "designed with an irs in mind" there would be no need for a heavy-a$$ subframe for the irs to sit in. therefore you wouldn't have near as much a weight savings between the two.

Nothing like taking an unbalanced car and trying to overcome its shortcomings by adding more power :rollseyes, this car is going to be an 800lb gorilla playing amongst spider monkeys and nothing more :bored:

I can see the magazines slaughtering the car now- too bad too, since they were all goo-goo-gah gah over the GT, and the Mustang gt- just when you thought Ford had turned it around....

But you know what I think is sad, is that the mags wont tear it apart. They will like SVT's bung hole like everyone else is going to. Yea, this car is going to be bitching fast in a straight line...and thats wonderful in all, but some people want a little more. I think they have some problems to work out before they release it to the public. And I like some of the comments that Thai-Tang has made, "We'll never appease the IRS snobs," well, a lot of those "IRS snobs" as he calls them buy the car to road race....thats showing support for your customers.

Edit: You know what else is great, numerous times SVT engineers were quoted as saying the new Cobra would have IRS...at open track events. I wonder what they were saying at drag events?

Users who are viewing this thread