07 with possible transmission issue?

builttodrive

Established Member
I recently experienced a low speed kind of pulse like applying brakes when I wasn't and I was getting a noise at this slow speed like a clunk every few feet or so that I could feel slightly in the car. 5 mph or less. The rear end was recently gone through and we ruled that out by disconnecting the driveshaft. When you rotate the driveshaft in neutral as its disconnected from the rear end it will periodically lock up or bind. Sometimes you can force it through and others you have to reverse rotation and then you can turn it free again. This experience comes and goes and isn't consistent with each rotation, sometimes you can rotate the shaft many revolutions and it will not act up.

Does anyone have any ideas what this could be? Anything with this trans prone to do that?

Thanks
Greg

HillbillyHotRod

Hooligan rabble rouser
Established Member
You sure it is not the rear end? I had a PU do a similar thing where it would catch going forward but the in reverse. Turned out the ring gear spit a tooth which was causing it.

HKusp

Established Member
You sure it is not the rear end? I had a PU do a similar thing where it would catch going forward but the in reverse. Turned out the ring gear spit a tooth which was causing it.
He unhooked the driveshaft from the rear end and it's still doing it.

Sounds like maybe output shaft bearing or planetary gears in the tyranny.

builttodrive

Established Member
Yeah we had the cover off the diff and everything looked perfect but we also disconnected the driveshaft from the axle to rule that out. The rear end wouldn't do it with the driveshaft/transmission unhooked.

builttodrive

Established Member
He unhooked the driveshaft from the rear end and it's still doing it.

Sounds like maybe output shaft bearing or planetary gears in the tyranny.
I'm afraid of an expensive transmission endeavor. although we drained fluid and it was quite good and clear. I haven't changed it since I've owned it but it was a replacement transmission when I bought the car. I put about 12,000 pretty light miles on the car in 9 years.

Users who are viewing this thread