08' gt500 Vmp genII....trapping only 120?

Joewee500

Established Member
A friend if mine bolted on the Vmp gen 2, 2.5" pulley, 67mm tb, JLT intake and 55lb injectors a few months ago and has been loving his car....until Friday night. He took the car to the track and was looking to crack 10s or run upper 120s trap speed and he did neither. With a Torco tune from Bill Miller at ProEdge Tuning he clicked off consistent 11.7s@120. He called me pretty bummed. I asked if he swapped to the VMP tune to see if that was the issue. He swapped and made 3 passes trapping 116,117,117. I asked if anyone else was running slow or if he raced any fast cars. He pulled an '11 zo6 by "many lengths" which ran 12.2@112. So I'm thinking either everyone sucks at driving or the tracks timers are off. His trap speeds on a. 93 tune are just a shade faster than stock. Any thoughts?

Joewee500

Established Member
Not NPR. The track is called Thunder Road Raceway in Gillam, La. His 60' was only 1.9. He knows there's a lot of room there but the mph is what I don't get. He's on MT et streets. I figured he would be trapping much higher with what should be 650whp.

Joewee500

Established Member
Heat soak.

bj
So he cools it down for an hour and makes a pass on then hot laps for another pass and mph are within 1. That's heat soak? So before the end of the track the car heat soaks and pulls timing? That's why his mph was only 117 with the Vmp tune?

gearhead08

Established Member
So he cools it down for an hour and makes a pass on then hot laps for another pass and mph are within 1. That's heat soak? So before the end of the track the car heat soaks and pulls timing? That's why his mph was only 117 with the Vmp tune?

VMP email tune will be much more conservative than a dyno tune. For instance. I had a 1st Gen vmp blower. with 2.59 pulley. trapped 122mph and it was hot outside with M&H drag radials no spin. Got new mods 2.4 pulley, ported elbow, vmp 67mm throttlebody id 1000s twin boostapumps. Went to the dragstrip and trapped EXACTLY the same in cool weather around 65 degrees on my new email VMP tune, this was after 4 REVISIONS! Also VMP tune would peg 10 on AFR. I finally just got a dyno tune. I was also told that all I needed was a SS filter and I could run E85. Long story short and a local competent tuner and my car is running correctly and pulls like a raped ape.

Joewee500

Established Member
Last night at the same track an auto Hellcat on drag radials ran consistent 11.7@120. He wasn't happy with that but it made my buddy feel better about his times

Speedboosted

Established Member
Well it's clearly not tune related if the torco file from Bill went only 3 mph faster than the 93 file from VMP...

I agree with Bj, heat soak. Letting the car sit there for an hour isn't doing it much good if it's still hot out. Is your friend at least jumping the IC pump to get some circulation going?

IronTerp

Mid-Atlantic Cobra Assoc.
Trunk mounted Ice box or Killer Chiller are the only realistic ways to combat high atmospheric temps here. Wont totally eliminate the affects of hot days but will generally keep you out of pulling timing.

RI GT500

Established Member
I'm in the same boat...lol. 07 gen2 650/620 Runs 11:20 trapping 120ish (thru auto). What is the answer? Trunk mounted ice tank ? Or? I was really hoping for a mid to high 10...

Users who are viewing this thread