'08 GT500 vs '11 GT500 vs '12 Boss 302

DiZzyBonne

Established Member
So I'm in the market for a new Mustang, and I have my eyes set on a few cars. First off, the Mustang is going to be my daily driver, and my plans for the car are just to have a mean street machine, and something I can occasionally take to the track and drag. I also love cruising in the mountains. So handling is somewhat important to me, although I don't planning on racing in the mountains. But I do want to be able to have a stout car that can handle its own on the track without breaking loose.

I just recently drove a '14 Mustang GT with a track suspension on the track, and holy shit, it's a blast! It's crazy going from my old Bullitt which would break loose at a little too much gas, to a car begging me to feed it gas on the turns!

So here's my question, if you were to give the '08 GT500 and the '11 GT500 a comparable suspension to the '12 Boss 302, would they ever handle as well on the track? I figure the '08 GT500 definitely never will due to the extra weight of the engine, but will the '11 GT500 stand a chance?

Also, I know I'm buying a V8, but will I notice the mileage difference on the '08 vs either of the other two cars? The '08 GT500 gets around 14/20 city/highway, whereas the '11 GT500 gets around 15/23 and the '12 Boss 302 gets around 17/26.

NC85

Lurker for Life
Established Member
Drag Racing, I'd skip the Boss and go Auto 5.0 11-14 as my first choice. Followed by 11'(for looks over 08) and ending with 08.

Just cruising with a track visit every now and then, 11 GT500.

black92

Hot rod Lincoln
Established Member
Besides resale and "brag" factor, any reason you are not considering a '15 GT PP? If it has to be those three cars, I'd pick the '11 GT500.

mavisky

Established Member
I chose the GT500 because as much as i love the mountains and hitting the drag strip every once in a while, my car spends 99% of it's life on the street and that's where the blower on the GT500 really shines.

DiZzyBonne

Established Member
Besides resale and "brag" factor, any reason you are not considering a '15 GT PP? If it has to be those three cars, I'd pick the '11 GT500.
Resale is top on my list, and I just don't like owning a plain GT...so yeah, brag factor helps lol. But also, the way I'm priced out my '15 GT PP w/X-plan, it still came out to about $3,000-$4,000 more expensive.

I can always buy one of these and get rid of it later, and buy something else and not take too big of a loss, compared to a brand new '15. Those '15s sure are sexy though...

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
Around my area both boss and 11/12 mustang gt500 are selling for low 40s. Or about 5k more than the 15 mustang GT. I looked at a 3k mile 08 gt500 and honestly I would not buy one unless it was mid twenties or lower. Just too raw compared to the newer ones.

DiZzyBonne

Established Member
The '08 GT500 I'm looking at only has 5,000 miles, the '12 Boss 302 has 17,000 miles, and the '11 GT500 has 33,000 miles. All of these cars are cheaper than a '15 Premium GT w/PP, including X-plan pricing. If I'm gonna buy a new '15 GT, I'd want it with leather, seeing as I plan on keeping the car for a long time.

The only way I'd get an Ecoboost is if it were my 2nd car, and it'd become my daily driver. That'd be a fun DD, then turn my big mean V8 into a weekend warrior!

DEMARCO313

Established Member
It all boils down to how much you want to spend. The cheapest route would be the 08 GT500 and use the remaining money that you would've spent on the 11GT500/ Boss and mod the power/suspension. That way you'll have a car with power, a car that can handle, and you'll still have a GT500 since you said care about bragging rights. I don't know your views on buying an already modified car but an 07 -09 Shelby that's already modded is the best route to go if money matters. They're getting cheaper and you'll find some on here that's modded for power and suspension and still be quite a bit cheaper than a stock 11GT500 or Boss.

I would also say it depends on how much power you want. You're going to make power much easier and cheaper on the Shelby since it's already supercharged. If your content with the power level for a bolt on Boss then I would say get the boss since you'll have the power you want, handles really good, has the bragging rights, and has the best fuel economy. If you want to make more power then then the bolt on Boss get the Shelby. If money isn't an option then my order would be Boss with a supercharger, 11 GT500, then 08 GT500.

Last edited:

DiZzyBonne

Established Member
The '08 I have my sights on only has 5,000 miles, but it's a little pricey at $32,000. It's bone stock though, garage queen, and it has two sets of wheels/tires...the original '08 wheels, and some '10 GT500 wheels.

DEMARCO313

Established Member
The '08 I have my sights on only has 5,000 miles, but it's a little pricey at $32,000. It's bone stock though, garage queen, and it has two sets of wheels/tires...the original '08 wheels, and some '10 GT500 wheels.

I'm not a price expert but I guess that's not a bad price for a 08 Shelby with only 5K miles and being a garage queen definitely if you prefer to buy a stock car with very low mileage. Considering everything and if the car is in tip top excellent shape, front to back/ interior etc, the price isn't bad.

I would say that there are better deals out there for a 07-09 GT500 if you don't mind buying a slightly modded car for power/suspension/ clutch etc since you'll be doing that anyway. They might have a little more mileage on them (20k - 30k miles) but right around that price range of 32K if not a tad cheaper.

If you prefer to buy a very low mileage/ stock car then I don't think that price is bad. You could probably even talk him on coming down on the price a bit also.

Last edited:

Blk04L

. . .
Established Member
Premium Member

The 07-09 looks so much better with the 10 wheels. jmo.

mavisky

Established Member
When considering the 07-09 Gt500, don't think of them in "stock" form, very few of these are left bone stock. Assume you'll spend $2,000 instantly on basic power boltons and some suspension work. I'm under that now with my car and it's a completely different animal from when I first bought it. Still quiet and comfortable enough though when it needs to be to put my 16 month old to sleep in her car seat though even if we take it up into the mountains.

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
I prefer the looks of the 07-09 GT500, with raxiom LED tails. The gas mileage between Gt500s is going to be a wash, never managed more than 15-16 MPG in 09 I daily'd for a short time, pullied and VMP tuned. I am knocking down 11-13 MPG in my 14 GT track pack on E85, on 93 I was around 18 MPG, all of this was mixed city and hwy. I agree with the sentiment that the 08 is going to be the best bang for the buck, but honestly you can't go wrong with any of them, so go with your gut.

Serpent

Bike or Cobra?
Established Member
Reading the first paragraph OP, I would make the choices between '11 GT500 or the Boss.
GT500
pros:
more power
better shifter
cheap power mods

cons:
heavier
mpg
front end weight

Boss
pros:
meant for tracking
built internals (can add FI later on)
less weight

Cons:
shifter
not much power (compared to gt500 [stock])

Resale value? Going by the numbers the boss in this body was only out for a year. The GT500 was sold for 2 years, but had that body style for 3 years.
If you're going to do some occasional track and drag and do some mountain runs, I would stick with a Boss. Lighter car, decent mpg.

nxhappy

Established Member
get the 08 GT500. It looks better. and the newer ones have tranny problems :)

DEMARCO313

Established Member
Resale value? Going by the numbers the boss in this body was only out for a year. The GT500 was sold for 2 years, but had that body style for 3 years.
If you're going to do some occasional track and drag and do some mountain runs, I would stick with a Boss. Lighter car, decent mpg.

I'm a little confused about what you're saying. Correct me if I'm misinterpreting what you're saying but The Boss was out for 2 years. (2012 & 2013)

The Shelby has had the newer body style for 5yrs (2010-2014) with changes and upgrades here and there to the front grill rear, black tail lights etc of the 13/14 but still the same body style. Unless you mean as far as the differences are concerned and not the body. 2010 -Iron block 2011/2012 aluminum block and a few other changes, 2013/2014 5.8L 2.3 Tvs quad exhaust etc.

Last edited:

AAG

Established Member
Boss 302, great overall car for a daily. And if you get the mod itch, the motor is very strong.

Users who are viewing this thread