08 Shelby Engine bay Fuse Identification

Race Red Boss

Established Member
In the engine bay fuse distribution box, can anyone tell me what the 20 amp fuse in location 64 controls/protects? Owers manual says "Console".

Race Red Boss

Established Member
No, the console underneath the armrest

Hmmmm. Didn't think there was anything in there to draw power. I'll have to take a look. Next step will be to test the fuses located in the kick panel to see if there is any voltage across any of them there. I basically have a parasitic draw somewhere that's draining my battery (dated Feb.2018) over a few days....

cossiedriver

Established Member
Interior-Inside%20Center%20Console%2020080906.jpg

Race Red Boss

Established Member
^^^^ Thanks. Just went out to my garage to check. Interestingly, I found the USB connector for the Pioneer Radio/NAV system the previous owner installed behind the plate in the picture (mine does not have a trunk release button?).....AND, what appears to be a wire that looks to have been slightly damaged. No idea what it connects to without taking the whole console off. It may have been shorting out on the metal in there. Going to try and put some electrical tape on it and see if that helps. The car is now being stored for the winter, so I'll probably disconnect the battery, bring it inside and put it on a trickle charger over the winter and then look to remove the console entirely and see what's going on in there.

Race Red Boss

Established Member
Thanks Willie, appreciate the info. I went out today to see if the port has power....and it does not, key on or off. So now it looks like I'm going to have to open up the console to figure out what's going on. I suspect it may have something to do with the aftermarket stereo wiring.

Do you by chance have a digital volt meter? Any chance you would be able to go into your power distribution box on your GT500 and measure the DC milli volts across the points on fuse 64 to confirm that it shows zero? I want to make sure I"m not on a wild goose chase. :) Mine clearly shows voltage drop....which means current is present.

Race Red Boss

Established Member
Did some further investigation today and found the fuse in position 64 was actually blown. Still have a current draw somewhere and will continue testing when the car comes out of storage next spring. Thanks for the input.

fullboogie

Established Member
Mysterious current draw that drains batteries has been a problem with S197's for many years, even on completely stock cars. Some people claim it's the factory head unit, some claim it's the amps, some never find the problem. Mine can't sit for more than a few weeks without a dead battery. I've done every test I know how to do and have never found the source. Good luck.

Race Red Boss

Established Member
Mysterious current draw that drains batteries has been a problem with S197's for many years, even on completely stock cars. Some people claim it's the factory head unit, some claim it's the amps, some never find the problem. Mine can't sit for more than a few weeks without a dead battery. I've done every test I know how to do and have never found the source. Good luck.

Interesting, thanks for this. I didn't know about this issue with the S197's. Looks like a draw of about 300 milli amps on mine. How much is yours drawing?

I've disconnected the negative battery terminal and covered the car for the winter and will now wait till next spring to do some further investigation. I plan to check the voltage drop across the fuses in the passenger side panel (indicates current is present). I measured the ones in the engine distribution panel and didn't find anything except for the blown 20 amp fuse for the Console power point....which I believe is due to a wire that appears damaged and likely blew the fuse when it shorted out against the metal in there.

The previous owner replaced the head unit with a nice Pioneer system, including NAV....that will be the first place I check Several Youtube videos speaking to parasitic battery draws indicated that added accessories frequently are the cause of the problem.

Once the driving season returns, the car doesn't sit idle long enough for it to be a problem, but the constant extra draw on the battery will likely shorten its life span.

fullboogie

Established Member
If I recall, my draw is about the same. I pulled every damn fuse in the car while having an ammeter inline on the battery cable/post and none of them caused the draw to go away. Damn strange if you ask me. If you go look at any S197 website threads between about 2006 and 2009 you'll see lots of talk about this problem. I'm not aware of anyone finding one single culprit, and at some point I think people just gave up and accepted that the problem wasn't going away.

Side note - I replaced my head unit earlier this year for the sole purpose of seeing if the problem went away. It did not.

Race Red Boss

Established Member
If I recall, my draw is about the same. I pulled every damn fuse in the car while having an ammeter inline on the battery cable/post and none of them caused the draw to go away. Damn strange if you ask me. If you go look at any S197 website threads between about 2006 and 2009 you'll see lots of talk about this problem. I'm not aware of anyone finding one single culprit, and at some point I think people just gave up and accepted that the problem wasn't going away.

Side note - I replaced my head unit earlier this year for the sole purpose of seeing if the problem went away. It did not.

Well, there must be a source for the draw.....somewhere. Could be a relay or other module. I'll post here on what I find next spring. If I can't isolate the problem, I'll likely take it to my local mechanic for him to take a stab at it. I'd rather not have to replace the battery every 2-3 yrs., which I figure will be the case if the problem isn't found.

Users who are viewing this thread