09 ferrari california

Stupercharged

Established Member
saw some taillights id never seen before and caught up to see what it was and it took me a minute cuz its the first one ive seen. he had the top down and it was some 30 something dude who wouldnt look over so i got next to him dropped to 2nd and floored it under the freeway overpass. well needless to say he took the bait and i could hear him downshift so i waited and he just punched it like a d*ck so i puched it and caught him and started to pass and then he slammed on his brakes right as i was passing him. then we do it again and he REALLY jumps me like 2-3 cars and luckily im in 2nd so i just gun it and catch him by 90 and then again he slams on his brakes and slows down. i hit the next red light and he turns right but at least he gave me the peace sign as he turned so he halfway made up for being a d*ck racer before. and my girlfriend was in the car too. i looked up specs when i got home and was surprised at how little power they had for the price.

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
the ferrari is a great gt car. the new tranny is getting outstanding reviews. its no lightweight racer! its a small touring type car with good performance!

sl 65 or the california what would you choose???:beer:

07COBRAVENOM

R.I.P. Hissssss
Established Member
wow you started pulling on a ferrari?? gotta give props when they are deserved

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
Are you numbers in your sig correct? Because the numbers I am seeing on the car will run 11's at around 118. Sure it weighs 3900lbs but it makes good use of its 450+ hp...

2010 Ferrari California First Test - Motor Trend

Maybe he was in the wrong gear for you to go from 3 cars back to passing him by 90?

Tyler

i am sure traction control on it is amazing, and we have already stated that the california shifts faster than a blink of an eye. thats where is advantages end though. california should be at 415rwhp with a 10% loss or so and as stated it has more weight, i thinking 100 more with 2 people in the svt.
more weight, less power, faster shifting makes for a great race but one the california should lose....

amxguy1970

Established Member
i am sure traction control on it is amazing, and we have already stated that the california shifts faster than a blink of an eye. thats where is advantages end though. california should be at 415rwhp with a 10% loss or so and as stated it has more weight, i thinking 100 more with 2 people in the svt.
more weight, less power, faster shifting makes for a great race but one the california should lose....

That is basing it on the fact that everything is created equal. Hard to ignor numbers trapping almost 118. There is probably no dyno of one out there yet so we can only guess it is around 415, could be underrated seeing as how the weight and numbers it is actually putting down.

Have to figure in redline and power band, gearing, aerodynimcs to create everything as equal.

Plus the numbers in the OP's sig is probably just him alone, he stated he had a passenger...

Thing is a car almost trapping 118 shouldn't get walked that hard by a car that traps 113 alone and they have a passenger at that, doesn't add up to me :shrug:

I will wait for the OP's statement on his numbers.

Tyler

Stupercharged

Established Member
the numbers in my sig are correct and as i stated we went from a roll and not a dig so launching capabilities of the ferraris were thrown out the window there. it had new temp plates so he obviously just bought it but i dont think that flicking a paddle really takes any time to get used to. i looked up specs and yes they are rated at 460hp but thats all the way up at 7500rpms! his peak torque is 360ft/lbs at 5500 i believe and from the 45mph roll we did i was in 2nd at 4000rpms right in the middle of my power band. idk if he wasnt in a low enough gear or what but i was surprised i pulled him that hard as well. and from what i understand weight doesnt play that much of a roll from a roll anyways. i just figured my huge torque advantage is what helped me pull him.

03COBRA-88

Established Member
his peak torque is 360ft/lbs at 5500 i believe and from the 45mph roll we did i was in 2nd at 4000rpms right in the middle of my power band.

+1 The OP's torque is 442 to the wheels while the Ferrari's torque is 360 crank. OP has a huge advantage there.

2tonOfun

Established Member
+1 on the torque. Man I love torque and I also love Ferrari's.
Nice runs runs in the Cobra.
Man I love Ferrari's.

Did I mention I love Ferrari's?

Deuuuce

Established Member
Nice runs, I'm pretty certain he was short-shifting before redline. The gearing and shifting is far superior in the Ferrari (their 1st dual-clutch tranny) and maybe wasn't in "race" or "sport" mode.

Chalk it up for a win and s/b interesting to hear how others do.

BlueSnake01

Established Member
Nice runs, I'm pretty certain he was short-shifting before redline. The gearing and shifting is far superior in the Ferrari (their 1st dual-clutch tranny) and maybe wasn't in "race" or "sport" mode.

Chalk it up for a win and s/b interesting to hear how others do.
Well maybe he was though, tq is a huge difference and the rpm was right at the Termi's powerband. I belive the O.P, great race :beer: Never seen one in person, first time I actually paid attention was when they showed it in Entourage, gotta admit but it looks beautiful reminds me a lot of the Maranello 575 front end :rockon: Wasnt the Ford GT also loosing about 10% from the tranny also? :shrug:

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
That is basing it on the fact that everything is created equal. Hard to ignor numbers trapping almost 118. There is probably no dyno of one out there yet so we can only guess it is around 415, could be underrated seeing as how the weight and numbers it is actually putting down.

Have to figure in redline and power band, gearing, aerodynimcs to create everything as equal.

Plus the numbers in the OP's sig is probably just him alone, he stated he had a passenger...

Thing is a car almost trapping 118 shouldn't get walked that hard by a car that traps 113 alone and they have a passenger at that, doesn't add up to me :shrug:

I will wait for the OP's statement on his numbers.

Tyler

walked hard would be overstating the facts i believe. if both ran the race through it would be close and competitive.

just saying he has the power to weight advantage.:rockon:

Deuuuce

Established Member
then we do it again and he REALLY jumps me like 2-3 cars and luckily im in 2nd so i just gun it and catch him by 90 and .

Definitely plausible (it happened!) but properly driven you're not catching and passing a 116-118mph trap speed car with a 2-3 CL jump by 90mph, let alone 150mph.

Last edited:

Stupercharged

Established Member
his power to weight actually isnt better than mine if you base it off whp. i have 433 and he has 416whp (rated at 490 and i factored in 15% drivetrain loss) and his curb weight is ~100lbs more than mine. o and im going to the track tomorrow with my new tires nitto 555s so ill have new numbers tomorrow and a new trap speed (hopefully!) numbers in sig are on bald street tires and i couldnt give it more than 50% throttle in first or it would spin/wheel hop. so hopefully ill be at least 115mph but ill let you know

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread