1/0 awg cable from alternator getting HOT!!

VinnyGT

Established Member
Mechman 170A, 200A fuse, 1/0ga. I wired everything the "safe/right way" according to multiple sources on SVTP. But, my wire is getting super hot. Voltage was 13.9-14.2V when I first started driving the car, this past Friday since I finished up the build. Setup is as follows:

Battery in truck(inside a Taylor box), 1/0ga going from battery to Taylor kill switch mounted in trunk, on the opposite pole of the kill switch I have 2 1/0ga wires going to fuse box and the other to the alternator. Inline with the battery I have a 150A fuse within 8-12" of the fuse box and I have the 200A fuses within 18-24 " of the alternator. Is a 200A fuse too much.

I don't think I did anything wrong on the setup. Can anyone give me ideas on what's going on. Had to park the car down the street from me. I have an extra 150A fuse and holder that you can see to the very left of the picture(that one goes to the battery). There goes getting 500 miles on the new clutch by the weekend so I can finish the tuning and get some WOT action.

Attachments

• IMG_1237.JPG
    IMG_1237.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 164

rymax101

Established Member
Definitely hitting ground somewhere. Start checking your positive wires for chaffing. But it looks like even in the pic it may be contacting that hid box which may be grounding out.

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using Tapatalk

VinnyGT

Established Member
That's a possiblity. I will go through the wiring really fast. I bout that wire from a stereo shop thinking it was good wire, turns out it's CCA(from what another shop told me). I'm going to go to a higher quality copper strand cable.

Last edited:

Huachipato

Screaming '04
Established Member
If the wire is carrying too much current - the whole wire would be hot. To me it looks like it is just hot at that one connector. I think rymax is right - you have an issue at that terminal spot. The cable looks discolored only at that connection area.

VinnyGT

Established Member
So with that being said it looks like I just didn't build the cable end well. I may need to measure out the new wire and take it to a stereo shop and have them install the terminals. Because yes it is only a few inches within the terminal that is discolored.

Huachipato

Screaming '04
Established Member
It really seems more that you didn't properly cover and insulate the cable. It is grounding (creating a short) at or near the terminal. I could almost bet that if you removed the cable you would see evidence of the short on whatever it is grounding on.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Buckwheat 1

I like Blm junk in my butt
Established Member
Get a cheap infrared temp gun and shoot at some of the suspected areas. Check the heat rating of the insulation.

Users who are viewing this thread