1/2 mile racing questions

bleedingfordblu

Established Member
How many of you have done half mile racing? Its something Id like to do but Im worried about melting pistons.

Im wondering what mods you guys have done to keep heat down. I know theres the head cooling mod, wasnt sure if there was anything else?

Mr.Venom

Quick with Boltons
Established Member
I haven't done it yet but plan to. I would say from everything I've learned over the years, I would do the reische 170 T stat, head cooling mod despite its proven results, ice chest or killer chiller

mustangvsix

4 point 6
Established Member
Havent done one myself but I see plenty of guys take some good time between runs (besides the super car guys). You have all day to have fun, no need to do blow the car on countless back to back runs.

racebronco2

Established Member
I haven't done it yet but plan to. I would say from everything I've learned over the years, I would do the reische 170 T stat, head cooling mod despite its proven results, ice chest or killer chiller

None of the above will keep the car running cooler, ait2's but not engine temps. The only proven methods are boxing in the radiator and the real heat extractor hood. Do not box n the bottom, It will slow the car down and make the car wonder slightly at higher speeds, too much air being built up at the front of the car. At 550rwhp i have done 158mph.

BadBlue98GT

Established Member
OP, I'm about to do my first 1/2 miler in a few weeks. I plan on taking it easy and allowing plenty of cool down time between runs... Not trying to compete with the 2,000 HP Lambos and GTR's, just having fun. I'll be happy if I can hit 150 without my convertible top blowing off!

94slowbra1

Established Member
i asked this question about a week or two ago here. biggest thing i can think of is heat. like racebronco said above, you want to find a way to keep everything cool. also going into 5th at full boost might be a little sketchy. id make sure all suspension is up to the task, also the brakes. the cobras aerodynamics are not built for this with some changes it can do fine. go easy on it and take time between pulls

bleedingfordblu

Established Member
great thanks for the input guys, except for you Cory, you suck ;)

Obviously I wont be doing it with a stock bottom end with my Mach but whenever I do build a short block I was wondering what to look for when purchasing rotating assembly components.

racebronco2

Established Member
OP, I'm about to do my first 1/2 miler in a few weeks. I plan on taking it easy and allowing plenty of cool down time between runs... Not trying to compete with the 2,000 HP Lambos and GTR's, just having fun. I'll be happy if I can hit 150 without my convertible top blowing off!

In my car i did back to back runs, most of the time i did not turn the car off. But for most people with the iron blocks it will take much longer to allow the car to cool down. It helps if you let the car sit with the fan on with a manual fan switch, that will let all the fluids in the radiator to cool off. You will need to start the engine so the hot fluids can transfer int the radiator. Repeat as needed. You will need to be careful not to let the fluids get too cool because if you did when you are racing the fluids will expand to quickly and blow out past the reservoir cap.

i would be more worried about beating on the car in 5th/6th gear than the motor.
You will not be in fifth very long, 6th no way.

i asked this question about a week or two ago here. biggest thing i can think of is heat. like racebronco said above, you want to find a way to keep everything cool. also going into 5th at full boost might be a little sketchy. id make sure all suspension is up to the task, also the brakes. the cobras aerodynamics are not built for this with some changes it can do fine. go easy on it and take time between pulls

If you get the Real heat extractor hood from Steve at True Forge it will make your car more aero. Case in point, in the mile runs my 520rwhp Cobra out mph'd most of the C6ZO6's by about 5-10mph, i was only 3 mph slower than a ZR1, 6mph slower than a modded ZR1. I was 10 mph faster than a Whippled powered 550rwhp Cobra.

BadBlue98GT

Established Member
What about launching? The last time I was at this race, a lot of the fastest cars weren't launching like they were at the drag strip. I'm thinking of a moderate takeoff versus all out John Force style launch.

tt335ci03cobra

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
What about launching? The last time I was at this race, a lot of the fastest cars weren't launching like they were at the drag strip. I'm thinking of a moderate takeoff versus all out John Force style launch.

If you were racing for time, I'd say launch hard, since 1/2 mile is for mph, I say launch quickly enough, but you have the benefit of time being out of the equation. A 1.8 60ft is far more gentle, and you'll run the same or better mph by doing so.

If you go too easy, you'll just take up valuable space that you could be accelerating with.

Get to wot ASAP, but don't stess a few 10ths of a second at the launch. Better to launch smooth and gentle enough than risk blowing anything apart.

bleedingfordblu

Established Member
In my car i did back to back runs, most of the time i did not turn the car off. But for most people with the iron blocks it will take much longer to allow the car to cool down. It helps if you let the car sit with the fan on with a manual fan switch, that will let all the fluids in the radiator to cool off. You will need to start the engine so the hot fluids can transfer int the radiator. Repeat as needed. You will need to be careful not to let the fluids get too cool because if you did when you are racing the fluids will expand to quickly and blow out past the reservoir cap.

You will not be in fifth very long, 6th no way.

If you get the Real heat extractor hood from Steve at True Forge it will make your car more aero. Case in point, in the mile runs my 520rwhp Cobra out mph'd most of the C6ZO6's by about 5-10mph, i was only 3 mph slower than a ZR1, 6mph slower than a modded ZR1. I was 10 mph faster than a Whippled powered 550rwhp Cobra.

good info. The hood might be a good option. I might have to look into it.

Users who are viewing this thread