1/4 mile times for a 96 cobra

uncle Ben

Established Member
I just bought a 96 cobra i took it to the track a couple of weeks ago and ran a 14.2 with a 60ft time of 2.7 my mph was 101. My question is what 60ft times should I be running and what can I do to get traction and what mods work the best on the 96-98 cobras

thanks for any advice

Poisoned Pony

The Mach that Rocks
Established Member
you could see the 13.7-13.8 range if you get that 60 foot down. How are you launching?

as for mods: pullies, gears, and an H-pipe. Set of drag radials would be nice too. Oh yeah, short throw shifter might help with the gear changes.

congrats on the purchase and welcome to the site! :beer:

ALLNTRL

Established Member
Your 14.2 is pretty close to what a stock 96 Cobra should run considering your 2.7 sixty foot time. Most stock 96-98 Cobra's would run a 13.80-14.0 @101-103mph depending on the track,weather,driver,etc. Your sixty foot time (even on the stock rubber) should be around a 2.1-2.2 unless the track was extremely slick or you were trying to dump the clutch on the stock rubber. As far as mods go here is a list and it really will just depend on how much you want to spend and how fast you want to go.

1. GEARS 4.10's or LOWER!!! Anything under a 4.10 in a DOHC car is a waste of time!

2. ASP brand Underdrive Pulleys, get their 3 piece balancer set. They cost $200 bucks and they are the best (and the lightest) underdrive pulleys available. A quick and easy 10 RWHP & TQ.

3. Get a UPR or an AFM powerpipe, a Pro-M 80mm MAF, and either UPR's or AFM's (they both use the same one) air filter. You will be able to buy this as a complete package from either place and both of these have been proven performers both on the dyno and at the track. TRUST ME, I have had every N/A combo out there and these parts will make a BIG difference in your car! Either one of these combo's will add around 20 RWHP & TQ to your Cobra. The UPR will fit under your factory strut tower brace and the AFM will NOT. And whatever you do DON'T BUY A C&L MAF!!!!!!!!

4. Headers: If you want shorty's then get the JBA 1 5/8" ceramic coated, if you want long tubes get the JDM's (sorry not sure what size their's are) ceramic coated.

5. X-pipe: Bassani or Dr. Gas 2 1/2"

6. Mufflers and a 2 1/2" cat-back: Since you are using the X-pipe you ONLY want a muffler with a straight thru design such as Borla XR-1's, MagnaFlows, Bassani, or Dynomax Race Magnums.

7. Dynotune: Now that you have both ends of the cork opened up find yourself a "GOOD" experienced tuner and get a custom chip done just for your specific set-up. Let the tuner increase your timing thru the chip program, and set-up your A/F ratio to where it will avg. 12.8-13.0 thru the entire rpm band.

8. Shifter: I like the Steeda Tri-ax but that will be up to you. This will help you find where to put all that extra power. :D

Now, take my advice, add some sticky tires and alittle practice and you can pick up your N/A mid-12 sec. 110mph+ time slips all day long!

And then if you want to step it up alittle farther you can go to a PHP stage 2 ported short runner intake, IMRC Deletes, Accufab T.B., Put the car on a diet, do alittle suspenison work, add a retune and then go pick up your N/A (stock long block) 11 sec. time slip and make the blower guys SICK!!!! ;-) Hope that helps

Last edited:

SnakeDriver97

Newly Minted Ensign
Established Member
I have a stock '97 Cobra and I've only been to the track a couple of times...my average 60' was 2.22 and my best quarter was 14.258 at 100mph...this was on shit tires and a nasty clutch...the things that are holding me back are my launch ( I have trouble feathering the clutch and gas at the tree) and my third gear shift (droppin' to many rpm's)...it doesn't look like you had a problem with that (101mph) but the 2.7 should be closer to 2.2, if not better.

uncle Ben

Established Member
the list of mods you listed sound like what I had in mind and now that I have heard what they can do together It's just gonna be a matter of time until I make my LS1 friends sick. How do the transmissions hold up once you start modifying these cars.

blackfang

Established Member
I know your pain. My first ever run was a 14.75@103. Now i got my launched down and i dont spin as much. My 97 Cobra with just the K&N filter, 2 chamber mufflers and a steeda tri-ax ran a [email protected]
My last time at the track with the above and a Mac o/r h pipe and my cutouts open i ran a [email protected] I also had ran consistent 13.8's all night, and my 60's were 2.1
I am going again on the 15th. This time it will be alot colder compared to my other attempts in 85+ degrees, and i closed the cutouts, cleaned the K&N, and changed my plugs. So I am hoping for a 13.7
I plan on getting 4.10's in January, and hopefully in the spring a NX125 kit/Timing adjuster, and pulleys.

Peter

Established Member
The only one who will be sick will be Mr. Ben when
he spends the money to get all the mods that
allntrl is talking about not to mention the broken
parts from the launches on slicks, by the way
don't waste your time with shorties get some
longtubes to make power!

96 Cobra
Vortech s-trim(10 lbs boost)
Andersen power pipe
BBk long tubes
MSD-4 ignition
Stock Long block
42 lb injectors
Aluminum driveshaft
4.10 gears
473 rwhp
best and only run 11.67 @118mph

ALLNTRL

Established Member
Originally posted by Peter
The only one who will be sick will be Mr. Ben when
he spends the money to get all the mods that
allntrl is talking about not to mention the broken
parts from the launches on slicks, by the way
don't waste your time with shorties get some
longtubes to make power!

96 Cobra
Vortech s-trim(10 lbs boost)
Andersen power pipe
BBk long tubes
MSD-4 ignition
Stock Long block
42 lb injectors
Aluminum driveshaft
4.10 gears
473 rwhp
best and only run 11.67 @118mph
And just why will Mr. Ben be sick? :shrug: Nobody said going fast N/A with a DOHC was cheap! :rollseyes Let's see though there are several guys on the Corral running 11's N/A and 3 of them did it with shorty's and 2 of them were on Drag Radials!!!! Both SVT CAMR and Bob Cosby have gone 11.7x's @ 114 mph N/A with around 325 RWHP. So NOW who is SICK with their 10lbs. of boost and 473RWHP and only a 11.67 run???? Also who is going to be SICK when that 10lbs. of boost makes those shitty rods and pistons let go and you have to cough up $6K-$8K for a rebuild? Just keeping things in perspective. ;-)

Last edited:

Peter

Established Member
Well I have 10,000 miles on th shitty rods and pistons
and they are fine and for your info I only had one run
with a litle practice I will be in the low 11's not some
bs run with a stripped down car. by the way high RPM
will be no good for those shit rods and pistons.

ALLNTRL

Established Member
Well, if you have 10,000 miles then you have a VERY safe tune and extremely good luck. Keep running the boost and the rebuild is coming. By the way I have heard of ZERO N/A stock long block Cobra's blowing up, how many blower cars do you hear of that have? ;-) Good luck with yours but I'd be saving up!

Peter

Established Member
I have bee around racing for quite a while and I have done
n/a, nitrous and nothing beats a blower, especially on a
mod. cammer. You say you never heard about a
n/a cammer blowing up you must be joking, I go to the
track and I have seen problems with these motors
under high rpm. If these guys got a 3600 lb car into the
11's on drag radial no less, and with 325 HP something does not add up!

ALLNTRL

Established Member
I am not saying that a blower is not the easiest way to make power on a mod motor because it is, the mod engines LOVE boost! What I'm saying is that unless he has the money to set back for a rebuild then I wouldn't put the blower on and HOPE my luck holds up. I was just suggesting what was possible with basic bolt-ons and tires on a DOHC car and still remain N/A.

As far as the guys running the 11 sec. passes N/A here is some more info.

1. Bob Cosby's 99 Cobra has recently went 11.74 @ 113.9mph on ET Drag's but it had previously gone a best of 11.75 @ 113mph on 275/50/15 BFG DR's. Car weighs 3225#'s This car has made MANY 11.7x-11.8x passes on DR's.

2. SVT CAMR's 98 Cobra went 11.76 @ 114.19mph on ET Drag's. The car weighs 3325#'s.

3. HIPSI's 99 Cobra went 11.93 @ 111.19mph on 275/50/15 BFG DR's. The car has run a best of 113.3mph and weighs around 3300#'s.

These 3 cars listed above ALL ran in the 11's with shorty headers. And ALL 4 cars listed are running the stock long block and just simple bolt-on's. All 4 cars listed are N/A and making 325 RWHP or LESS.

4. JIMS SVT's 98 Cobra ran 11.94 @ 112.76mph on ET Drag's with a weight of 3200-3300#'s. This car also is running the STOCK FACTORY EXHAUST MANIFOLDS!!!!!!! :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

All of these guys are members at www.corral.net so if you don't believe me just go on over and ask for yourself! There are several others (myself included) from that board that are making the power to run in the 11's N/A but just haven't broke the magic number YET! ;-) So, don't act like it can't be done N/A with far less power. :rollseyes It's all about using what you've got! :-D

Peter

Established Member
These cars that you mention have had cam,head and intake work
right? They just didn't slap on some bolt-ons and a dyno tune
and walla where in the 11's.:rolleyes: And bye the way some
good weight reduction? All of this you didn't mention to Uncle Ben.

Peter

Established Member
Well I know we dont agree on the n/a supercharger
thing, but do agree with stay away from C&L meters
I had nothing but trouble with it.

Booyah

Cantankerously Blunt
Established Member
Originally posted by ALLNTRL
And just why will Mr. Ben be sick? :shrug: Nobody said going fast N/A with a DOHC was cheap! :rollseyes Let's see though there are several guys on the Corral running 11's N/A and 3 of them did it with shorty's and 2 of them were on Drag Radials!!!! Both SVT CAMR and Bob Cosby have gone 11.7x's @ 114 mph N/A with around 325 RWHP. So NOW who is SICK with their 10lbs. of boost and 473RWHP and only a 11.67 run???? Also who is going to be SICK when that 10lbs. of boost makes those shitty rods and pistons let go and you have to cough up $6K-$8K for a rebuild? Just keeping things in perspective. ;-)

Where are you pricing rebuilds?? I had mine done parts included for $3800+. Thats forged everything and a little dyno tuning. Now if you mean basically getting a new forged engine with a core then okay but if a rod goes you can pretty much kiss that block goodbye.

ALLNTRL

Established Member
Originally posted by Peter
These cars that you mention have had cam,head and intake work
right? They just didn't slap on some bolt-ons and a dyno tune
and walla where in the 11's.:rolleyes: And bye the way some
good weight reduction? All of this you didn't mention to Uncle Ben.
You just don't believe me huh? SVT CAMR's car has a ported intake but That's it as far as "internal" mods go. His car runs the Stock heads, and Stock cams. The other 3 cars engines are BONE STOCK from the intake to the oil pan with NO internal mods what-so-ever!!!!! These cars All run 4.56 gears and their mods are bolt-ons and a dynotune!!! And if you would learn to READ :rollseyes I DID tell Ben he would have to put his car on a diet if he wanted to run in the 11's N/A! Just go over to the Corral and ask the guys in the DOHC Forums if you don't believe me. :rollseyes

Peter

Established Member
I can also post times of OTHER cars that are running
much faster with blowers, but what does that mean for
me. I am not willing to shift at 6800 and use drag slicks.
No I don't believe you, that you put a few bot-ons and
put the car on a diet and pick up an 11 sec timeslip
as I did read in your eulogy earlier.
And IMRC eliminators are a waste of time along with
the ported intake for a stock motor, all you
will do is kill power down low,and whats
this little suspension work,mine is stock
and I like it that way. You make a lot of generalized
statements, and trol around to get other timeslips.
You say you are knocking on the door of the magic #
where are your timeslips?

ALLNTRL

Established Member
I'm not trolling anywhere! I've been posting here longer than you have. :rollseyes And if you think that a ported intake and IMRC deletes won't help a N/A car then that just shows your dumber than I thought. I've got the PHP stage 2 ported intake with IMRC deletes on my car and it gained 29 RWHP and 5.5 RWTQ with NO torque loss anywhere!!!! You don't have to believe me if you don't want to but I'm telling the TRUTH!!!!! Go to the Corral an check for yourself! The way I see it is your just alittle jealious!!! Grow up dude and cry your sob story to someone else! :rollseyes See Ben I told you the Blower guys would be SICK!!!! :D

Booyah

Cantankerously Blunt
Established Member
What it came down to for me was where am going to be racing more often. For me I knew it would be the impromptu street race more than anything being that I don't have the time to go to the track. So on that note lets have one of these NA guys run into a huffed Cobra on the street. Don't think I need to go into details as to what will happen. Horsepower is horsepower is horsepower.

Users who are viewing this thread