1/4 times on Ford Gt

Gtturbo89

gtturbo89
I am new to this web site and this is my first thread. Here is my question, how fast does a stock Ford Gt run in a 1/4 mile. I was looking at motor week and they ran the Ford Gt 12.2. Can a Ford Gt hit high 11s bone stock.

Big 8

Established Member
They are all over the place?

Seen 11.2
Would say your most likely looking at 11.7 at around 128. Just too many out there to really call it?

Captain Beyond

Established Member
MM&FF did get an 11.0 at 131 mph in their May 05 issue. They even dipped into the high 10s with drag radials and a smaller SC pulley. However, they said that these mods probably hurt the performance more than help. The DRs were shorter than stock and the engine wasn't tuned for the pulley. These mods were playing mind games with the car's computer. I've also seen a few other mags get low 11s with a good driver. :burnout:
Just an example of what the GT is capable of. :bowdown:

Last edited:

lthlvpr

Established Member
The problem is that Ford ran a 'ringer' in the early mag. tests which is a little crappy, don't you think? They got everyone believing this car was a very low sec 1/4 mile car, but this car had an upgraded pulley and ECU so it was making significantly more power. As production began and magazines got their hands on other true factory GTs, the numbers you see now are more realistic. It is more likely a mid-high 11 sec car in the mid 120s for a trap speed.

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member
11.5-11.7 @ 125-127. Some of the early tests in M/T got 11.2 @131, but many people believe it was a "ringer" becasue it went up against the Enzo and CGT, which run the same times in pretty much every test by all the mags. I know many peole will kick and scream how it wasn't a ringer, but those seem to be rather significant manufacturing variations to have one car trap 125 and another trap 131.

The onne in MM&FF was coletti's personal car and who knows what kind of tweaks he has done to it. Do you honestly think that Colletti did not think to tune the car for the pulley?

satx

Banned
we will only know once a few owners go to the strip.....mm&ff changed to a smaller pulley during the test so that at least leads me to believe it had a stock pulley. I think once we see some more dyno sheets we will know the true stock potential.....I've only seen the one 515 rwhp dyno sheet that hennessey posted. that was a 700 mile car which means that as time progresses we should see much higher numbers. So I guess the question is can we believe a roughly 525 rwhp 3400lbs mid engined car can trap 130 mph?

Last edited:

lthlvpr

Established Member
no, I don't think a stock GT with 3400lbs will run the 1/4 in low 11's at over 130mph. With some racing slicks it may get to the low 11's but then this is not a fair comparison. The true measurement of hp is trap speed and my guess is that they will be in the mid 120's. By the way, this is by no means a knock on the GT. It is a very fast car (albeit a few hundred pounds overweight), and very capable. Other than the new Z06 this could be a contender for the best value category.

Stang Lover

Established Member
Gtturbo89 said:
I am new to this web site and this is my first thread. Here is my question, how fast does a stock Ford Gt run in a 1/4 mile. I was looking at motor week and they ran the Ford Gt 12.2. Can a Ford Gt hit high 11s bone stock.

12.2?? Man they can't drive. Are they capable of going high 10's?

satx

Banned
lthlvpr said:
no, I don't think a stock GT with 3400lbs will run the 1/4 in low 11's at over 130mph. With some racing slicks it may get to the low 11's but then this is not a fair comparison. The true measurement of hp is trap speed and my guess is that they will be in the mid 120's. By the way, this is by no means a knock on the GT. It is a very fast car (albeit a few hundred pounds overweight), and very capable. Other than the new Z06 this could be a contender for the best value category.

the more HP a car has the more inconsistant 1/4 mile times you will see as traction becomes a MUCH bigger issue. Here is my thinking (purely speculation at this point). The new Z06 has been tested at 127 mph trap speed. I think that the Z06 will dyno at ~ 450rwhp and weighs 3150 lbs. The GT makes roughly 525 rwhp and weighs 3450. 75 rwhp more pushing 300 more lbs. sounds to me like the GT should trap ~3-4 mph faster than the Z06 based on power to weight ratio hense the 131 trap speed as witnessed by a few exceptional drivers (both MM&FF and Motor Trend ran the big traps with great drivers).

:pop:

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member
satx said:
the more HP a car has the more inconsistant 1/4 mile times you will see as traction becomes a MUCH bigger issue. Here is my thinking (purely speculation at this point). The new Z06 has been tested at 127 mph trap speed. I think that the Z06 will dyno at ~ 450rwhp and weighs 3150 lbs. The GT makes roughly 525 rwhp and weighs 3450. 75 rwhp more pushing 300 more lbs. sounds to me like the GT should trap ~3-4 mph faster than the Z06 based on power to weight ratio hense the 131 trap speed as witnessed by a few exceptional drivers (both MM&FF and Motor Trend ran the big traps with great drivers).

:pop:

I'm going to have to disagree with you on that. 75rwhp and 300lbs more is not going to get you 3-4mph at the 1/4 on street tires. It's diminishing returns when you get into the higher HP ranges. A 75hp gain on a 200 hp car will get you way more improvement than 75hp on a 500+ hp car.

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member
FordGTGuy said:
hell if a corvette Z06 can pull a 11.7 i'm sure a ford gt, midengined and more power, can beat it easy.

I don't doubt it can run sa fast, but there are other cars out there that are mid engined and have more power than the Z and don't run those times. Beating it EASILY will never happen

FordGTGuy

Established Member
GTSpartan said:
I don't doubt it can run sa fast, but there are other cars out there that are mid engined and have more power than the Z and don't run those times. Beating it EASILY will never happen

but how much do those other car wiegh and how good are their aerodynamics? :sleeping:

and about the easily part i'm just using the same word most other people use to say that the Z06 will EASILY beat the Ford GT. :bs:

Last edited:

Captain Beyond

Established Member
GTSpartan said:

Beating it easily might not happen, but beating it (none the less) will probably happen. :burnout:

satx

Banned
GTS

I am counting on the diminishing returns. 30rwhp more than makes up for the added weight with 45 rwhp more for the 3-4 in extra trap speed......in other words a 450rwhp Z06 would be a good match-up for a 480rwhp GT, the Z06 would probably win from a dig and the GT from a roll. Now, fast forward to reality.....the GT has ~75rwhp more than the Z06 (that is alot BTW and takes this out of the "drivers race" category into the slaughter category especially from a roll) and that should be enough to net it 3-4 mph more in trap speed. IMHO.

So a stock Z06 and a stock GT race on the highway ......you really think there won't be buslengths between them? Remember that the GT has ~75 more rwhp and a very slick shape .... the Z06 has a .34 Cd and a fairly large frontal area. BUSLENGTHS.

Last edited:

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member
satx said:
GTS

I am counting on the diminishing returns. 30rwhp more than makes up for the added weight with 45 rwhp more for the 3-4 in extra trap speed......in other words a 450rwhp Z06 would be a good match-up for a 480rwhp GT, the Z06 would probably win from a dig and the GT from a roll. Now, fast forward to reality.....the GT has ~75rwhp more than the Z06 (that is alot BTW and takes this out of the "drivers race" category into the slaughter category especially from a roll) and that should be enough to net it 3-4 mph more in trap speed. IMHO.

So a stock Z06 and a stock GT race on the highway ......you really think there won't be buslengths between them? Remember that the GT has ~75 more rwhp and a very slick shape .... the Z06 has a .34 Cd and a fairly large frontal area. BUSLENGTHS.

I don't disagree with you. BTW, Do you know what the FGT Cd is? We need to know what it is before we say which one has the more slippery shape. The vette has one of the best aerodynamic bodies out there.

The vettes not going to do too bad considering it is 80k less and built on an assembly line.

Oops, did I bring up the money arguement? Sorry :beer:

FordGTGuy

Established Member
Ohhh I think the Z06 is a great car I just wish that someone would get these two cars and make a final winner. The Ford GT TT, with the original aerodynamics, has been said to go over 250mph w/o a problem so I would say fairly sleek.

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member
FordGTGuy said:
Ohhh I think the Z06 is a great car I just wish that someone would get these two cars and make a final winner. The Ford GT TT, with the original aerodynamics, has been said to go over 250mph w/o a problem so I would say fairly sleek.

250mph without a problem??????? Lets see some verification. Will stock gearing even allow for it? Thats getting into hyper speeds that HP alone will not provide

I'm not saying I don't believe it, but there are vipers and vettes running around with WAY more power than that TT GT that can't go that fast and are just as aerodynamic.

FordGTGuy

Established Member
GTSpartan said:
250mph without a problem??????? Lets see some verification. Will stock gearing even allow for it? Thats getting into hyper speeds that HP alone will not provide

I'm not saying I don't believe it, but there are vipers and vettes running around with WAY more power than that TT GT that can't go that fast and are just as aerodynamic.

Those vipers and vettes aren't mid-engined and the more power you put into a car thats FE the more you lose. The undercarriage aerodynamics of the Ford GT help out alot I would think and i'm sure they adjusted the gears on the Ford GT TT.

Users who are viewing this thread