1/8 thick notched ring behind input shaft ???

rudycobra

Established Member
I am in process of changing a friends clutch and input shaft and when I pulled the shaft out a notched ring fell out behind it . Backside of it looks like has tiny bit of wear on it . Just did same install on mine few weeks ago and don't remember that happening . Any info please ? Will take pic tonight . Thanks

rudycobra

Established Member
44632d25-fc1a-0be8.jpg
44632d25-fc33-1189.jpg

Just has little wear on it and inside surface seems to b rough , not a smooth machined one . Just trying to make sure its ok before reinstalling

Tims97SVT

Established Member
That's the 3/4 blocking ring. The way the wear is, I'd say take a real good look at the 3/4 shift keys. My blocking ring looked a lot like that after it ate one of my shift keys. Be very careful reinstalling the blocking ring. You must make sure the three groves line up with the three shift keys. If not, when you tighten the face plate up it can crack the keys.

rudycobra

Established Member
Thanks I was looking at it and think I see Wat u mean but when I put it in place it don't feel like it locks in to the keys . It just spins freely , guess when tighten it it will lock in ? I'll take pic if keys in bit

Tims97SVT

Established Member
Well if it does not sit in the sincro very far, pull the fork/sincro forward, (ie towards the front, like if you shift to third gear) very easily. This should give you more room to set the blocking ring "in" the sincro. It's hard to tell with the pic of the blocking ring. But if the face is worn that bad, your friend needs to replace it before putting the trans back together.

Last edited:

Tims97SVT

Established Member
No, the spring is just a half circle. Now the close up of the one key looks like it's broken, but it's very hard for me to tell in that pic. Are you using a camera phone? Anyway you can get a cleaner/clearer pic?

rudycobra

Established Member
Yes using iPhone , just left for work have to get better ones after work , it is bout half circle but one end of it has Lil bend in it like mite have broke

Tims97SVT

Established Member
No problem I understand. Anyway the one end of the spring is bent and the other is just cut off so that's ok. What worries me is it looks like the top of the one key is half ground away.

rudycobra

Established Member
If need parts does Tousley have them ? Not sure if I could even change forks , never been into tranny further than am now .

Tims97SVT

Established Member
Hard going into 4th can be because of this. Ford may have factory replacement parts but you should upgrade them. If you have never worked on a manual then id send it to someone. Call ProMotion powertrain.

Tims97SVT

Established Member
Well what is wrong with the fork? I personally only see a problem with the sincro key and the blocking ring. If something is wrong with the 3/4 shift fork, you have to take the whole trans apart. Sadly you can not pull it out of the front of the trans. Honestly it's not a walk in the park job.

Users who are viewing this thread