1 chamber muffler...

mr_Ginzo

Established Member
are they too loud for daily driving? i either wanna do them with cats or run a flowmaster with an o/r Hpipe but i don't want cops busting my balls.

BLACKVNM

Established Member
I have also wondered what they sound like with a catted H. Would a catted H with 1 chambers be as loud or louder than o/r H with 2 chambers?

mr_Ginzo

Established Member
well i'd rather get pulled over w/my cats vs w/o them. i think i might try it...

Interspy24

Established Member
About one chambers...

Here's my experience with them. These mufflers are super tiny, about 6 inches long and about 8 inches wide. When I had my stock h-pipe, I had two chambers welded. Sounded good, but everyone had the same sound. After a lot of debating, I decided to put the one chambers on. It sounded great with the stock h-pipe and four cats. Meaner and deeper than the two chambers. There was actually LESS drone on the highway. The sound is pretty agressive and seriously loud when you get on it. Crusing around isn't much worse than two chambers, but when you open it up it gets pretty loud. I was louder than a buddy with an o/r h-pipe and two chambers, and I still had four cats.

I then wanted to lose my cats, so I got a upr o/r x-pipe. Holy crap it was loud. I was the loudest 4.6 I'd heard. It was just too damn loud. It nearly shook the ground when I started it up and sounded like a dragster when I hit it. Very, very loud without cats (Keep in mind I laugh when people tell me their o/r h-pipe and two chambers is loud). I could scare children and animals when just cruising. The tone was also pretty bad, had the marbles in tin can sound and just lost the 4v note. Anyways, it was just too dang loud on the highway and too redneck for me, so then I switched to borlas. :coolman:

Cliff notes:

Stock h-pipe + one chambers = mean and deep rumble

With high flow cats + one chambers = very loud and aggressive
This is the best combo and one the my favorite "deep muscle car" combos I've ever heard.

With o/r pipe + one chambers = incredibly loud and no tone for a 4.6

Hope that helps.:-D

Interspy24

Established Member
Originally posted by BLACKVNM
thank you much interspy- don't know how much power ya might get from them over a 2 chamber do you?

I doubt anything at all. For the most part a two chamber is moderately restrictive, a one chamber is better. It's actually listed as a race muffler and just has one v-shaped baffle in it.

The sound will be pretty distinct, but I really liked it. A lot of people gave my compliments on it. Be prepared though, your exhaust will pop and crackle. Whenever I shifted, it popped a bit and usually crackled a little whenever cruising down the rpm range.

I know for a fact they are deeper than two chambers because at the famous drone zone (around 2.2krpms), more vibrations could be felt. Again, keep in mind even with a pair of high-flow cats, your car is going to be quite a bit louder than the usual o/r h-pipe and two chambers. Good luck with your decision and let us know what you decide to do. Btw, this setup can scare other domestics when you throw a rev. :-D

Last edited:

LAXbronco65

PIMPIN THE 916
Established Member
so one chambers with my BBK high-flow X would sound meaner than the magnapacks im running now? if so i want them more than i did before.

Justin

Interspy24

Established Member
Originally posted by mr_Ginzo
what size exhaust should i run?

The smallest size they make is 2.5". They're also really short, so you're going to have to adjust your exhaust some (bends and some piping size differences).

Interspy24

Established Member
Originally posted by LAXbronco65
so one chambers with my BBK high-flow X would sound meaner than the magnapacks im running now? if so i want them more than i did before.

Love your car man, looks absolutely sick.

My 0.02 on the subject - I'd be careful about running the one chambers with an x-pipe. You're going to have the "marbles in a tin can" sound between like 2.5-3.5k rpms. With that in mind, I'd leave your setup with the packs.

mr_Ginzo

Established Member
Originally posted by Interspy24
The smallest size they make is 2.5". They're also really short, so you're going to have to adjust your exhaust some (bends and some piping size differences).

normally i'd do it myself, but i'd have to bring it to a shop to do that than....:nonono:

BLACKVNM

Established Member
If I had a catted H I'd get the 1 chambers in a heartbeat, I'm just afraid of getting them with an o/r H. decisions decisions

Users who are viewing this thread