1" spacer, now tire rub on 18x9?

ImaginationLand

Turd Burglar
Established Member
So I recently installed 1" wheel spacers on the back to push the wheels out... Have 18x9 on all 4:bash: ... now going over bumps at moderate speeds causing the tires to rub the fender well. Is that normal or are my springs/shocks just shot? The dude I bought the car from had 20's on it, broken driver front tie rod, etc. and it's making a rattle/clank from the driver rear when going over bumps. so I'm just trying to get this thing where I can drive it without feeling like I'm floating/bouncing off the road... You guys got any suggestions? Looks like the shocks out back are Tokico, and not the factory bilsteins. Not real sure what all this guy did/didn't do to this car.:fm:

Any help is appreciated. :beer:

mu22stang

[_==[_=_][_=_3[_=_< /_=_\
Established Member
First question: Is this just a 1" spacer between the wheel and rotor hat with no other modification?

Second question: Is this a completely aesthetic modification?

If the answer is yes to either of these, my advice is to take the spacers off.

ImaginationLand

Turd Burglar
Established Member
First question: Is this just a 1" spacer between the wheel and rotor hat with no other modification?

Second question: Is this a completely aesthetic modification?

If the answer is yes to either of these, my advice is to take the spacers off.

1. Yes, just like these:

Maximum Motorsports Bolt-On 25mm Wheel Spacers (2) [5065705] : Lethal Performance, Performance parts for Ford Mustangs

2. Purely aesthetic... but even without the spacers, I can see where the tires have rubbed in the upper fender well. Heard of quite a few people running 1" spacers, but haven't heard of rubbing issues. The tires are 245/40/18. Skinny. Guess I'll go back to the tucked in look until I can get some 18x10 and wider meats... bummer:nonono:

The main issue I'm concerned with is the bouncy/floating feeling in the back, and whether shocks will help. Feels like it darts around on the highway, and hitting a bump it floats like an ole hoopty with no shocks. Did bounce test, and didn't feel/look like they are shot... :??:

mu22stang

Established Member
I just wanted to make sure you replaced the studs or had spacer with integrated studs. Otherwise, it's extremely unsafe with that size of a spacer. Come to think of it, I'm not sure you could even thread the lugs with a 1" spacer only...

Anyways, the rearend sloppiness could be a number of things. I'd start with the basics.

-Tire pressure
-Alignment
-Hubs torqued to 240-250 ft-lbs.
-Suspension components torqed to spec

Is the car lowered?

ImaginationLand

Turd Burglar
Established Member
I just wanted to make sure you replaced the studs or had spacer with integrated studs. Otherwise, it's extremely unsafe with that size of a spacer. Come to think of it, I'm not sure you could even thread the lugs with a 1" spacer only...

Anyways, the rearend sloppiness could be a number of things. I'd start with the basics.

-Tire pressure
-Alignment
-Hubs torqued to 240-250 ft-lbs.
-Suspension components torqed to spec

Is the car lowered?

Tire pressure is correct, and just had an alignment about 2 months ago. n00b question, but which components and what torque specs? As far as lowering... I'm not 100% sure. It looks like it's sagging a little bit in the back, and the stance looks good, but I'm not sure if it's lowered. What color are the stock springs on Termie's? Guess I'll go check on faq... or maybe do a search... :dancenana:

To torque the hub, do I just pull the wheel off, and there's a bolt there or what...

feel like a tard for asking that, but...

Anyway, thanks for the help.

T-Pain808

I Love Asian Girls!!!
Established Member
How much are u dropped?
18x9 and those tires shouldnt rub, atleast i dont think so. Roll your fenders, Tokicos are pretty good shocks, but who knows

mu22stang

Established Member
...which components and what torque specs?...

I'd start with the shock's upper and lower mounts. However, since the shocks are not the OEM units, there's a chance that's the source of your "floating" feeling. Even if they pass the bounce test, they may not have the correct bound/rebound specs. for this car and/or the springs you have.

IRS TORQUE SPECS
ABS braket-to-lower arm = 17 ft-lbs
ABS bolt-to-diff = 5 ft-lbs
Brake banjo bolt = 30 ft-lbs
Brake caliper anchor bolts = 76 ft-lbs
Brake caliper bolt = 25 ft-lbs
Brake line-to-rear brake caliper bolt = 30 ft-lbs
Diff cover = 25 ft-lbs
Diff pinion nose crossmember-to-diff = 52 ft-lbs
Diff pinion nose crossmember-to-subframe = 184 ft-lbs
Diff rear insulator-to-axle housing bolts = 76 ft-lbs
Driveshaft to pinion flange = 83 ft-lbs (Blue Loctite)
Hub nut = 240 ft-lbs
Lower arm and bushing-to-subframe bolts = 184 ft-lbs
Lower arm and bushing-to-knuckle nut = 85 ft-lbs
Parking brake cable bracket-to-lower arm bushing bolt = 11 ft-lbs
Rear brake disc dust sheild-to-knuckle bolts = 89 in-lbs
Stabilizer bar bracket bolt = 41 ft-lbs
Stabilizer bar link nuts = 35 ft-lbs
Subframe-to-body bolts = 76 ft-lbs (14mm bolts = 131 ft-lbs; 9/16" bolt = 145 ft-lbs)
Subframe-to-rear bracket bolts = 76 ft-lbs
Subframe rear bracket-to-body bolts = 59 ft-lbs
Shock-to-lower arm and bushing bolts = 98 ft-lbs
Shock-to-body nuts = 30 ft-lbs
Toe link-to-subframe nut = 35 ft-lbs
Toe link-to-knuckle nut = 35 ft-lbs
Upper arm and bushing-to-subframe nuts = 66 ft-lbs
Upper arm bushing-to-knuckle nut = 66 ft-lbs
Wheel lugs = 95 ft-lbs

...As far as lowering... I'm not 100% sure. It looks like it's sagging a little bit in the back, and the stance looks good, but I'm not sure if it's lowered. What color are the stock springs on Termie's?...

The springs are black and will have a color dot on them. I think the dot is either green or purple.

...Guess I'll go check on faq... or maybe do a search...

CobraBob's Terminator FAQ is a great place to learn.

...To torque the hub, do I just pull the wheel off, and there's a bolt there or what...

A 36mm nut, can't miss it.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread