1 tire fire

First-on-race-day

Established Member
03 cobra irs. So rebuilt my diff less than a year ago. New pinion and ring gears,new diff w carbon clutches,new bearings and i got the contact pattern perfect. I have no rear end noise at all. Well i never checked to see if the lsd was working correctly. It has been probably less than 5k miles since i did all the work. Did a burnout a few days ago and noticed only one tires was actually spinning. Pumped out most of the fluid and it looks horrible. Spun one of my tires while the car is jacked up and they both move in the same direction, but if i hold one i can still spin the other. Anyone have any idea what could of happened? Thanks.
20210208_222949.jpeg
20210208_222902.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using the svtperformance.com mobile app

ashleyroachclip

Established Member
Not really uncommon to have some glitter .
Did you add friction modifier when you did that work? .
I always add an extra steel and friction when I build mine , they are a bit tight for a bit , but do settle down.

First-on-race-day

Established Member
Not really uncommon to have some glitter .
Did you add friction modifier when you did that work? .
I always add an extra steel and friction when I build mine , they are a bit tight for a bit , but do settle down.
Yes sirr, I poured in the recommended amount. Im thinking that maybe i just received a defective differential, but thats questionable

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using the svtperformance.com mobile app

ashleyroachclip

Established Member
Maybe the clutch pack , but if it goes forward and back , no noise , there is nothing wrong with the differential per say.

01yellercobra

Established Member
Did you soak the clutches before installing them? I would think it's the clutch pack as mentioned. I'd at least pull it out and pull the cover to see what it looks like inside.

First-on-race-day

Established Member

01yellercobra

Established Member
Maybe you had too much friction modifier in it the first time around. I believe it's supposed to help the clutches slip smoother during a turn so people don't complain about chattering. So if there's too much then the clutches can't grip anything.

Users who are viewing this thread