10.5 AFS's, 315 BFG's and no spacers

rueljr

Established Member
I have the chrome AFS 10.5 X 17 wheels.
I had Nitto DR 315's on it with shaved bolt heads and no spacer. When they were worn out, they had zero tread on the inside and 3/32 on the outside.
I replaced them with BFG DR 315's and had to use 1/4 inch spacer. When they were worn out, they also had zero tread on the inside and 3/32 on the outside.
Both the Nitto's and BFG's started with only 6/32's of tread.

Now I'm on my second set of BFG's. I had the camber changed from -0.8 degrees to 0.0 degrees. The camber set at -0.8 degrees works find with the stock tires but with wide tires the top of the tire is leaned in so far that it lifts the lower outer edge of the tread off the pavement. Going to 0.0 degees camber, the entire tread is now on the ground. I can't feel any difference in the handling and it seems to hook better since there is more rubber on the road. An added benefit is that I no longer need the 1/4 inch spacer since the top of the tire is moved out away from the IRS bolt.

Has anyone else tried this?

Top_Fuel

Person of Interest
Established Member
Originally posted by rueljr
I had the camber changed from -0.8 degrees to 0.0 degrees. The camber set at -0.8 degrees works find with the stock tires but with wide tires the top of the tire is leaned in so far that it lifts the lower outer edge of the tread off the pavement. Going to 0.0 degees camber, the entire tread is now on the ground....An added benefit is that I no longer need the 1/4 inch spacer since the top of the tire is moved out away from the IRS bolt.
That's very interesting! I've followed about every 315/wheel spacer thread on this board, and I think that's the first time I've ever heard anyone say that an alignment change gave them extra clearance. That's good to know.

I haven't had my 315s (Sumitomos) on long enough to tell if they are wearing unevenly. I'll keep a closer eye on them now!

-Greg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread