10 cars that sank Detroit

vickerw

Established Member
I just read this article & I wasn't expecting some of these to be on the list. I could definitely see the H2 for GM when gas prices sky-rocketed & possibly all of Jaguar when Ford bought them out, but not so sure about the others. What do you guys think? I was expecting more gas guzzlers to be on the list. Had to laugh at the Pinto though!

10 Cars That Sank Detroit- Yahoo! Autos Article Page

Last edited:

vickerw

Established Member
No I guess not! I just read this today on the front page of Yahoo, but this other posting on SVTP was done on 11/23/08. Sorry, i thought this was some new news or something.:shrug:

Niks97cobra

Ready to Go!
Established Member
I hadn't seen this either, however, how does the Ford Explorer make it on that list? The Explorer made huge profits for Ford.

mackj66

Established Member
I hadn't seen this either, however, how does the Ford Explorer make it on that list? The Explorer made huge profits for Ford.

I think they were eluding to the fact that the explorer was one of the main players in creating an american addiction to SUVs. Kind of like a catch 22....good truck that made good profits, but, from an environmental and financial foresight point of view....helped bring detroit down as SUVs are now not as popular for a number of reasons and detroit is slow to catch up with the market demands.

Last edited:

CobraMarkVIII

Established Member
Cars played a role, but the fact is, american people just have this unconditional mind set that all things made outside of the USA, are just way better in all aspects. Pretty flipping ignorant if you ask me. No other country would have this little pride in its own products. I personally can't stand most boring imports anyway. And MY 03 focus zx3 puts to shame so many imports in gas mileage/reliability so the hell with the general uneducated public.

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
Now dealers are having trouble selling the Smugmobile (Prius). $2.00/gal and under killed their sales, and all the hippie polesmokers who wanted them have them already.

Users who are viewing this thread