'10 mustang dash in a FOX

IUP99snake

The Shocker
Established Member
Ever since I bought my first mustang, my favorite thing about the late models is the interchangeability of parts among the fox chassis ('79-'04), and the various engine combinations that have been offered throughout the years. I think it's so awesome that you can pretty much bolt in an entire 03/04 cobra drivetrain... IRS and all... into an earlier fox. One of my first modifications to my '83 T-Top GT were power seats from a junkyard SN-95 and doors from a 93 'vert with all the power options. The more aerodynamic looking mirrors on the later 'vert doors combined with the slightly better looking door panels and switches, matching interior color and all, was a nice refresher for an aging square light car.

As the new mustang chassis evolves (wow, it's been 5 years already!) we're discovering that many of the newer parts from these cars can be swapped around to earlier cars without having to perform a prohibitive amount of modification to either the donor or recipient.

I've seen a few foxes with the dash and interior bits from an 04 cobra and I thought that was the neatest thing ever. While it's not a bolt-in ordeal, it can be done nicely.

After seeing the beautiful interior from the '10 cars which come with a HUGE nav screen and adjustable interior lighting colors, I started daydreaming about swapping over the dash and as many interior bits as possible into a Fox body, while still trying to maintain an OE fit and finish.

Has anyone tried swapping the dash from an 05-09 car into an earlier sn-95, fox, or even into a classic late 60's stang?

While I know it would be an involved process to try and make the dash dimensions fit, not to mention making sure you have all the wiring and components for the Nav and HVAC intact, it would be such a cool thing to see in a fox, if done right.

As soon as the '10 mustangs come out, donor cars will start popping up. Think about it... A '93 Fox Notch with a donor 5.4, interior, wheels and brakes from a '10 GT500. Could be pretty sweet!

What do you all think?

Homer

amorrow

Established Member
I'm sure it's possible. The new '05+ dashes are certainly wider, so a lot of sectioning, trimming, etc would be necessary. If you care enough to put forth a lot of time, money, and talent, then do it. Personally I wouldn't consider it worth it, but that's just my opinion.

I haven't seen any '05+ dashes in vintage Mustangs, but I've seen quite a few with pre-'04 ones.

IUP99snake

The Shocker
Established Member
You're probably right, the amount modifications and work required for such a swap would be prohibitive to it actually being "worth it". I mean, why not just get a '10 mustang, or even better, a GT500. After all, it already comes with a '10 mustang dash, 5.4, GT500 wheels, brakes, etc. Plus all the benefits of the superior chassis.

I actually read an article in one of the mustang magazines about a neat swap. Rather than transplanting all the GT500 hardware into a classic mustang chassis, they simply re-bodied the 07 GT500 with the 60's mustang sheetmetal, and voila. 60's mustang, new motor, refined interior, and superior chassis!

If I had a fox car laying around that needed an interior and happened to come across a wrecked '10 mustang donor car for cheap, it could be a cool swap.

No way would it be worth it to start from scratch-- To go out of your way to source a fox car and a '10 for the purpose of taking them both apart and swapping everything to the fox.

Homer

Users who are viewing this thread