10 Spine Clutch Question

No Such Luck

GMR Performance
Established Member
Because i am alittle short at the moment and don't have the money for a full 26 spine clutch set up, I was able to get my hands on a used 10 spine clutch, spec 3+ to be more specific, would I HAVE TO get a flywheel for it? If I didn't, you I HAVE TO get it resurfaced? Basically what I am asking is for a quick fix, can i just throw in a Spec Stage 3+ 10 spine clutch and call it a day for a while, or do I need all the other goodies to go along with it?

Thanks in advance,
Tom

wheelhopper

Established Member
You'll be fine. Just don't power shift. I run a Spec 3 w/ my 10 spline input shaft and have had no problems. I have never been dynoed but I am probably around 525hp.

The factory flywheels were not designed to be resurfaced. You should always resurface or replace the flywheel when replacing the clutch. Even though not everyone does it.

Last edited:

No Such Luck

GMR Performance
Established Member
wheelhopper said:
You'll be fine. Just don't power shift. I run a Spec 3 w/ my 10 spline input shaft and have had no problems. I have never been dynoed but I am probably around 525hp.

The factory flywheels were not designed to be resurfaced. You should always resurface or replace the flywheel when replacing the clutch. Even though not everyone does it.
So are you saying that you can't resurface them, or you just wouldn't recommend it?

wheelhopper

Established Member
You're not supposed to. I am sure that shops would do it. You may not even need it resurfaced if it is still true. You might be able to get away w/ using a disc sander w/ some 150 grit to renew the surface. Not what I would do mind you, but doable.

I believe that some manufactures of Aluminum flywheels may be willing to install a new steel plate on your factory aluminum flywheel. I believe Hayes does this.

IronTerp

Mid-Atlantic Cobra Assoc.
Tom, I agree with Doug, but many folks have resurfaced the stocker. You only take a very, very small amount of material off the surface and consensus is that you can get away with resurfacing the stock flywheel one time, and one time only.

The trend towards the 26 spline input shaft began back in the early days of the Terminators when a bunch of folks were tearing up their 10 splines at the track and with aggressive street driving. Realize you don't have the means right now, but eventually this upgrade may be something you'll want to look into.......Especially if you start "boosting" that Whipple a little bit.

knowfreed0m

Blown Is Better
Established Member
Im currently running the Centerforce DF 10 Spline clutch with the pressure plate and using my stock resurfaced flywheel.

Like IronTerp said you only need to take a tiny amount off the stock flywheel, and I would also only do it ONCE as a sort of quick fix. If you're making over 500rwhp and track your car often then defiantly go with the 26 spline.

No Such Luck

GMR Performance
Established Member
IronTerp said:
Tom, I agree with Doug, but many folks have resurfaced the stocker. You only take a very, very small amount of material off the surface and consensus is that you can get away with resurfacing the stock flywheel one time, and one time only.

The trend towards the 26 spline input shaft began back in the early days of the Terminators when a bunch of folks were tearing up their 10 splines at the track and with aggressive street driving. Realize you don't have the means right now, but eventually this upgrade may be something you'll want to look into.......Especially if you start "boosting" that Whipple a little bit.
O trust me, I am getting a great price on the Spec 3+ 10 spine clutch right now, and this is JUST a band-aid. Hopefully around Christmas time, I will be doing 26 spine everything plus a Spec 4 and Steel flywheel.

I took the car out yesterday, and boosted it once in 2nd gear. The power was not even there and it smelled like clutch the rest of the way home.

Thanks for the replys everybody.

Users who are viewing this thread