10 spline - 26 spline ??

still running the 10 spline or went with the 26?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

mattmoto441

Ridin Dirty #001
Established Member
how many have broken there 10? how many are still useing the 10 with a hipo clutch and still going strong? how much power is safe to run the stock 10 ? and how much power you running with your setup?

Last edited:

Fuerza

Established Member
Spec 3 clutch here, I doubt I have 500hp, I've never been on the dyno. I might upgrade to a 26 spline but I wont do that untill the Spec clutch goes south or a break the stock input shaft. Also, I'm not currently racing my car.

unit213

Bone Stock
Established Member
I'm still running the stock 10 spline. It's held on so far (knock on wood).
It'll get swapped in favor of a 26 spline at some point.

mattmoto441

Ridin Dirty #001
Established Member
unit213 said:
I'm still running the stock 10 spline. It's held on so far (knock on wood).
It'll get swapped in favor of a 26 spline at some point.

you ever take your car to the track?

unit213

Bone Stock
Established Member
mattmoto441 said:
you ever take your car to the track?

Not as much as I'd like, but it sees it's fair share of 5,000rpm dumps.
I've made hundreds of passes in the 4 years that I've had the car.

10 spline / Ram900 / 17" MT ET DR's / solid axle

Last edited:

DRwepw4ng

Established Member
i twisted my 10 spine due to wheel hop and tweaking 2nd gear.. and totally destroyed my counter shaft and 2nd gear, plus bent my driveshaft.. im low on funds so i just put another 10 spline in it, and i also have a spec 3 with 5000 miles on it or id def would of went 26

PWORLDSTANG

Bring 'Em Out
Established Member
I still have the stock 10 spline, but I'm only at 455RWHP/468RWTQ. I baby my car most of the time, so I don't see a 26 spline as an immediate necessity. My ported blower is waiting to be installed, so I might upgrade the to a 26 spline soon after.

wheelhopper

Established Member
I am probably running around 475hp. My best run is 11.60 @ 123mph. I am still using my 10 spline input w/ a Spec 3 clutch. I put at least 25 track runs a year on the car and as much as 60. When the shaft breaks, or the clutch goes is when I will go to 26 spline.

Neutrinodl18

Established Member
if you have to worry thinking about it or you know for sure you will make more power maybe you should just go with the 26 spline and not worry anymore. the stock 10 will go out eventually if you start making 500rwhp. you know you want it, go for it and don't look back

19COBRA93

Tire shredder
Established Member
I'm running a 10 spline still and after the track last weekend, I acquired a weird vibration/rattle in 4th only at certain times... I'm pulling my trans out tonight to see what's up, but I'm thinking I may have a bent/twisted the input shaft or somethings up with the clutch disk...

Up until now, I wasn't worried about the stock 10 spline (I'm still running the stock clutch). I figured the 4.30's took a lot of stress off the drivetrain forward of the rearend.

19COBRA93

Tire shredder
Established Member
19COBRA93 said:
I'm running a 10 spline still and after the track last weekend, I acquired a weird vibration/rattle in 4th only at certain times... I'm pulling my trans out tonight to see what's up, but I'm thinking I may have a bent/twisted the input shaft or somethings up with the clutch disk...

Up until now, I wasn't worried about the stock 10 spline (I'm still running the stock clutch). I figured the 4.30's took a lot of stress off the drivetrain forward of the rearend.
Update!!! Got the transmission out last night and it turns out the trans and clutch are perfectly fine. The problem with mine was the pilot bearing worked itself out allowing the input shaft/clutch disc to go off center/out of round causing a intermittent vibration.

Put a new pilot bearing in it, got it all put back together and drove it to work today, problem solved.

mattmoto441

Ridin Dirty #001
Established Member
well it looks like the poll says that No1 has broken there 10 ? so they just went with it to be safe?

ReVviNg HiGh

Rev it up!
Established Member
mattmoto441 said:
well it looks like the poll says that No1 has broken there 10 ? so they just went with it to be safe?

I have heard that 10 is decent up to about 500-550hp. If running a Whipple or KB i would go for 26. If pullied or ported Eaton, i would stick with 10.

19COBRA93

Tire shredder
Established Member
I personally think it's more hype than anything.

That seems to happen here a lot. Somebody breaks something, and all of SVTP thinks they need to replace theirs too before it breaks. When in reality, it's plenty strong for 99% of people here.

For example: IRS parts, Pulley parts, clutch parts, trans parts, cooling parts...I've seen a couple things out of each of those that were completely unnecessary for most typical street cars.

Upgrading parts for more strength is fine, but just because it's the thing to do on the internet doesn't mean you're walking on thin ice if you don't.

Anyway, that's JMO. Most probably won't agree with it. It's pretty clear by the results of this poll that the 10 spline seems strong enough for the average Joe. As far as strength, it's no different than the one in the Tremec 3550, and that's been proven to go low 10's high 9's depending on weight.

F8L SN8K

Established Member
Horspower is only one part of it. On street tires I wouldnt worry about the input shaft at 1000hp little alone any other power level. I agree with the post above.

I upgraded because I run slicks and 60ft in the 1.6s now and am going to be adding much more power on the street and even more at the track. I only upgraded so that it wont break at the track. I'm not worried about it on the street on street tires. There as been a few people breaking them at the drag strip that are in the 1.3 sixtys. Since my car ate the stock clutch the 2nd pass at the track(at 6,300 miles) and I had to replace the clutch anyway and I knew where the car was headed. I upgraded input shafts, and the Promotion clutch that holds 750hp(but still smooth as silk and the same pedal effort). future planing didnt want to have to do somthing 2x

Users who are viewing this thread