100+ K and a Whipple

wrxman60

Premiere Wheelman
Established Member
I have 113,000 miles on the truck, and came across that great deal with the 2.3 Whipple kit. If I run only 10-12 lbs, do you think the motor will be able to last? I know about "its all in the tuning." I would get it tuned at JLP, (I should probably call him for his opinion too). I was thinking about getting the eaton ported, 6 lber, etc. But by the time I buy all that, it really only comes down to about a $800 difference. Is the Whipple harder to turn than the Eaton? I would assume between both blowers at 10 lbs, the Whipple would be more beneficial for the truck, for one, lower IATs. Ya thoughts? DO IT?

wigginwilly00

Another day in Paradise
Established Member
I say go for it.. The Whip will run cooler IAT's and the blower will be much more efficient. The biggest issue with the Whipple guys is that they get a little greedy when they know they have blower that is ready to dish out big hp numbers. If your getting your tune from JLP I'm sure he will give a good conservative tune.

RIDE THE

Shake & Bake
Established Member
To be honest I don't think that you will be happy with the 2.3 at that low of a boost level with a conservative tune. You really cannot compare boost levels between a roots type S/C and a twin screw S/C.

I was running 12.5 to 13lb's of boost on the 2.3 and the S/C was bored. The 2.3 is efficient up to 25 psi so I was basically lifting right about the point that it started to make some serious power. It made power, it was just higher up in the RPM curve. Off the line it was a dog.

I liked my 2.3 don't get me wrong, but I had more fun and I ran faster with my ported Eaton. My best ET with a conservative tune on my 2.3 stock block was a 13.1ish. I ran mid 12's with the ported Eaton at 16lb's.

Just my opinion.

rlearp

Established Member
I was running 12.5 to 13lb's of boost on the 2.3 and the S/C was bored. The 2.3 is efficient up to 25 psi so I was basically lifting right about the point that it started to make some serious power. It made power, it was just higher up in the RPM curve. Off the line it was a dog.

This sorts of points are important to me. I was considering one of the whipples too but I tow with my truck. So the 2000-3000 RPM torque is a big deal to me. I run a 6lb lower on my Eaton now, for a total of 13-14 lbs of boost. Runs well. Would I give up some low RPM on the whipple?

R

wrxman60

Premiere Wheelman
Established Member
To be honest I don't think that you will be happy with the 2.3 at that low of a boost level with a conservative tune. You really cannot compare boost levels between a roots type S/C and a twin screw S/C.

I liked my 2.3 don't get me wrong, but I had more fun and I ran faster with my ported Eaton. My best ET with a conservative tune on my 2.3 stock block was a 13.1ish. I ran mid 12's with the ported Eaton at 16lb's.

Just my opinion.

So are you saying that the Whipple is harder to turn than the heaton at low rpms?

02SILVERBULLET

horsepower addict
Established Member
91k+ miles, 15.5 lbs on a 2.3 kb
it is my daily driver, and i often let it rip
2.3 kb has been on the truck for about 20k miles
before that from 30k on i ran the snot out of it with an eaton and a 6lb
it still runs great. would never look back!:banana:

RIDE THE

Shake & Bake
Established Member
So are you saying that the Whipple is harder to turn than the heaton at low rpms?

No, It has nothing to do with RPMs and rotational resistance of the two S/C's. It has everything to do with boost output. I'm saying that at low boost levels the Whipple isn't making good power. Eatons max out at 16psi-ish. The 2.3 is efficient up to 25psi. If your only looking at have around 10-12 of boost you would be lifting out of the throttle when the Whipple is just starting to generate some good power. If you do not have as much boost it will be slower out of the hole. Unless you spin the twin screw faster, which makes more boost in the lower RPM ranges like ^^^^ they are, you probably won't be happy with it. At least I wasn't. The best way that I can describe it is "Turbo Lag". It's almost like a delay in power off the line. 4lb's on a twin screw makes a huge difference in the power output. I just don't see a low boost, conservative tune on a twin screw being any fun to drive.

I'm just speaking from my experience on this. Others may be very happy with their setup's. My only question is, how many are running them as low as you were referring to? Unless you are willing to turn up the boost and risk it scattering all over the highway, I'd go another route. Again, just my opinion.

wrxman60

Premiere Wheelman
Established Member
You know, I was reading over on Lighting Rodder, that the Gen 1 Whipple had clearance issues between the screws and the case. Anyone have any problems with their Gen 1 blowers? I remember coming across a thread about one rubbing significantly.

Users who are viewing this thread