100 MPH?

8banger

just a neon
Established Member
k...this question has probably been asked way too many times, but i missed out......sorry. If you are caught exceeding 100MPH is it automatic jail time, like everyone says? Or does the officer make the call based on whats considered "reckless"? I heard many times that you can get jailed for breaking the triple digit barrier.

mswaim

Dark Side Poster
Established Member
It's at the officers discretion, however the fine is not...........and it's mucho grande.....................but, he can arrest you and tow your car so be careful, California is full of CHP officers with no sense of humor.

TJSwoboda

Established Member
You've already had a reply in regards to California; it varies by state. Here in Illinois more than 40 over is a Class A misdemeanor: arrest, suspension of license, hefty fine, and possible (though unlikely) jail time. On a 65 MPH interstate you could be going just over 100 and simply be hit with a 30+ over ticket, with a mandatory court appearance but no arrest or license suspension. Anywhere else in Illinois, 100 MPH will put your ass in a sling.

In other words, find the right stretch of road. :D

--T.J.

Lawman

Established Member
Here in New Orleans, 100 + = Reckless operation:nono: . Which will definitely secure you a reservation at Sheriff Foti's Hotel.

qmcobra

Established Member
My brother got clocked going 105 in 55 mph. He had a new 2003 cobra. My bother had a clean record and is in his mid 30's. Cop told him he could tow his car but was in a good mood and sent him on home with a reckless driving ticket and the speeding ticket. His lawer got rid of the reckless driving and I am not sure if he got the full 50 mph over or if it got reduced.

bskinner

OH AND WE DONT WRITE TICKETS FOR RECKLESS OPERATION HERE WE IMPOUND YOUR CAR AND PUT YOU IN JAIL....... ITS A BEAUTIFUL THING

RSXFMCJWR

Benchracer Extraordinaire
Established Member
HIT THE CAPS LOCK BUTTON SPEEDTRAPZ

I am glad that here in Fayetteville we don't have cops that are complete dicks. I was on the main drag about 3 weeks ago(speed limit 45) and I took my cobra up to 70 when I unknowingly got hit with radar. The guy pulled me over and showed me the speed that the gun picked up and it was correct(72mph). All he said was "I know you want to have fun in your car, but you need to slow it down".:thumbsup:

svt_pony

It was 1992, I was 21 going on 22. (and acting no where near that age) But anyway, I was with some friends that I graduated with, cruising a brand spankin' new Mustang gt convertible.
We were going waaaaay tooo fast, definatly over 100. It was past midnight, I came to the end of the street, and came to a stop. We were just sitting at a stop sign, when in the rear view mirror I see this car comming FAST. Then I see red and blue..... uh, oh.

He came up to the car, and his first remark was " i thought I'd catch you when I started to hit 80" :nono:

I answered every question honestly, and with a "yes sir" "no sir". I drove away with two tickets that night, one for not using my turn signal, and 65 in a 25. I must have thanked him 20 times. I gladly paid the ticket, and proceeded to be ticketless for the next decade. :rockon:

I still owe that officer many thanks. He could have impounded the car, taken me to jail, without question. I was very lucky...

sbro712

Established Member
Depends on the situation. About a year ago I got a kid doing 105 in a 35. He was 16 and in his dad's brand new Sebring convertible. Instead of taking him to jail, I wrote him the ticket and had his mom come pick him up (dad was out of town). Justice was served that way....momma was not happy!

94SHO

Established Member
I got caught racing a mustang GT.We raced 4 different times to speeds well over 120!There was a cop trailing the hole time and I got pulled over.He let me go with no tickets.I thought for sure I was going to jail that night.

path914

Established Member
Its kinda strange, I've been pulled over three times for going over a hundred in the last six years or so and never once received a ticket. Two were in SoCal and one was in Arizona near the Cali border. Every time the officer gave me a stern warning and let me go.

Yet during that same time I've been pulled over going 83 in a 55-65 three times (yes, that exact speed all three times) and was given a ticket every time (all of which I got out of in court, but thats besides the point). I can't explain it... :shrug:

mswaim

Dark Side Poster
Established Member
Originally posted by path914
Its kinda strange, I've been pulled over three times for going over a hundred in the last six years or so and never once received a ticket. Two were in SoCal and one was in Arizona near the Cali border. Every time the officer gave me a stern warning and let me go.

Yet during that same time I've been pulled over going 83 in a 55-65 three times (yes, that exact speed all three times) and was given a ticket every time (all of which I got out of in court, but thats besides the point). I can't explain it... :shrug:

Share with us your recipe for beating those tickets, we all need help sometimes.

stang2009

Banned
i am 16...and recently got reckless driving ticket...who knows whats going to happen....but this cop was NOT in a good mood...i had been pulled over about 6 times...some for not even speeding, and not a ticket...but in michigan i do beleive if your on i-75...you can get away with going 100 & not being thrown in jail.

Sinister Angel

Buh Bye !
Originally posted by stang2009
i am 16...and recently got reckless driving ticket...who knows whats going to happen....but this cop was NOT in a good mood...i had been pulled over about 6 times...some for not even speeding, and not a ticket...but in michigan i do beleive if your on i-75...you can get away with going 100 & not being thrown in jail.

Michigan is an interesting state. My aunt, who used to be a county cop, says MSP is rather strict. Sounds like you got lucky.

FlatZ28

++Crocodile_Hunter
Established Member
Originally posted by stang2009
6 times .. and you're sixteen .. slow down dude

bskinner

ok alphabet boy, i would call you by your u/n but its a little off the wall. In some jurisdictions when you are caught committing the offense of Reckless operation the police departments policy is to impound and arrest (it is a criminal code). the reason for this is because of the F!@#ing ricers combined with the crotch rockets around here trying to break the sound barriers. i think it started when that movie the "fast and the furious" came out. By the way, you get caught drag racing in my city the same thing happens impound/arrest you dont have to be doing a 100mph. now having said that, here is the straw that broke the camels back. 67 fatality accidents in 2001 in my town, 17 were the result of drag racing. out of those 17 incidents, 6 innocent motorist (not involved in the race) were killed. Out of those 6 fatlities I had the pleasure of working 4 of them. So now whos the dick? Its not about being a "dick" its about public safety. Ive seen a woman widowed and her three kids left without a father, all because some punk kid got a nitrous kit for christmas. if youve ever had to make death notifications it changes your outlook on everything and puts your priorities in line. So if i inconveinence you by throwing your stupid ass in jail and impounding your car so be it. at least my citizens who obey the law will make it home to their families tonight. I think it was Spidermans Uncle who said, "with great power comes great responsibility.". Go out of the city away from everyone and drive fast, im not against driving fast just not in populated areas where the innocent are in jeopardy. NOT A FLAME JUST EXPERIENCE TALKING. sorry for the long post

Users who are viewing this thread