10mph over ticket - options?

Stitch

Established Member
St Patrick's evening me and my g/f were heading to a friends house. Not 1 mile from our apartment, our vehicle was 'clocked' going 37 in a 25. However, I was going 25 mph when entering the top of a hill going down at a 30* incline for 120yds to the bottom where the officer was seated. There was also another vehicle in front of me also going the same speed. Since receiving the ticket, i tested what happened if i was off the brakes and at the top of the hill at 25mph, by the time I reached the bottom of the hill, I was indeed going 35 mph. In all honesty, yes I was speeding, but I would hate to get points against my flawless background for a simple 10 over ticket.

What options do I have? Should I pay it and take the point, or plead not guilty and opt to argue inaccuracy of the radar and surrounding conditions causing an incorrect reading. My main goal is no points on my record. Could I plead to the court to pay the fine but wave the points?

Thanks.

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
Stitch said:
St Patrick's evening me and my g/f were heading to a friends house. Not 1 mile from our apartment, our vehicle was 'clocked' going 37 in a 25. However, I was going 25 mph when entering the top of a hill going down at a 30* incline for 120yds to the bottom where the officer was seated. There was also another vehicle in front of me also going the same speed. Since receiving the ticket, i tested what happened if i was off the brakes and at the top of the hill at 25mph, by the time I reached the bottom of the hill, I was indeed going 35 mph. In all honesty, yes I was speeding, but I would hate to get points against my flawless background for a simple 10 over ticket.

I dont blame you for not wanting points on your license.

Stitch said:
What options do I have?

Call the number on the ticket and ask the clerk of the court what your options are. They probably offer traffic school and that will offset the ticket and the points, yet you pay for it.

Stitch said:
Should I pay it and take the point, or plead not guilty and opt to argue inaccuracy of the radar and surrounding conditions causing an incorrect reading.

If you argue inaccuracy of the radar unit you better have a lot of proof to support that claim. Otherwise the judge will laugh you out of court. What makes you think the radar was inaccurate when you verified for yourself you were speeding? Lying in court is not a good idea either.:nono:

Stitch said:
My main goal is no points on my record. Could I plead to the court to pay the fine but wave the points?

Thanks.

You can see if you can talk to the prosecutor (some states you can while others you cant) and agree to plead guilty to a lesser non point violation while paying the same fine.

Read the Ticket Faq at the top of the page!

Good Luck

Stitch

Established Member
I can take the class. However in Nebraska, If I take the class, it is not available to me for a year. I'd hate to take the class now, then get an even larger ticket (big if here, just being conservative).

My logic on the radar is can they read speed when the object is moving vertically (and horizontally) at the sime time and be accurate when the cop is only 25 yards ahead if not less? The street is like an S going down hill to the bottom where there's an intersection.

Oddly, in the three years I've driven up/down this road that was the first time the cop was ever there and he has never come back since and that was almost two months ago.

Plus, why not pull over the car in front of me? Why me instead? Regarding speed, I honestly don't know how fast I was going. I remember reading 25mph at the top of the hill, but not going down. That's why I did a few practice runs to see how fast I 'could' be going. Plus, since there is an intersection at the bottom of the hill, instinct is to brake so I can't fathom I was going 37mph, but I can't prove I wasn't either.

wpd736

Back to Blue
Established Member
good driving record

check the statutes , in RI and several other states part of the statute says the judge is allowed to dismiss at his discretion a ticket if youve never had one before , this is only good if you have not had one for at least three years at which time the ticket drops off your record.

hydroshutter

don't worry about it
Established Member
In Ga, I believe anything 13 and under will cause no points on the license.'

My attorney was telling me that.

Users who are viewing this thread