10th Anniv. Cobra & 5.0 Cammer unveiled TODAY!

Elapidae

Festively Plump
Established Member
Glad to see they're looking at a broad range of applications. Could produce some interesting aftermarket hot rods. I'll keep my 4.6 for now though. (better compression for boost if nothing else).

chassebr

Established Member
“The 5.0-liter Cammer delivers a healthy 425-430 horsepower at 6700 rpm. The torque curve peaks with 370 foot-pounds at 4000 rpm.”

They state 11.0:1 compression ratio with the new 5.0 cammer and an aluminum block. I wonder if the 425 hp guesstimate is a naturally aspirated number.

jtfx6552

Established Member
They also released a (actually several) wiring harnesses for the 5.0 DOHC crate motor.

I wonder if they'd work with the '03 motor?

I can think of all kinds of interesting cars that would benefit from '03 crate motor (yeah they should sell that to, are you listening Ford??) under the hood (my 65 fastback for one, a kit cobra for another...)

JT

dmreitz

Established Member
Lansing, IL (Chi. Suburb on Indiana border)
At least it appears the 10th anniversary Cobra is only cosmetically different... I'd be a bit pissed if there were performance improvements that were not inlcuded in our "Early 10th anniversary" Cobras... :)

I can't wait to see the wheels and badges... sounds pretty cool...

Last edited:

Sonic Storm

Established Member
I am really liking this 10th Anniversary Cobra model. I wonder when can begin signing up and where?

chassebr

Established Member
Looks like they will be ready to put the new 5.0 in the next generation Mustang after all.

TTAFB_SVT

BETHA'S BACK !!!!!!!
Established Member
Don't expect to see that exact motor in any production mustang. 11 to 1 c/r doesn't reside well with production cars. However, something VERY simliar this way blows.

And the 03 motor is available as a crate motor. Sticker shock taken to new levels.

ObieFox

Established Member
Red leather interior hmmmm....Sounds a little to pimped out to me! The 5.0 crate motor has my interest. That thing would rock in my '84 Turbo coupe. Anyone know how much? FRPP is currently selling a 96-98 cobra 4v with 5 speed attached and computer for $6,000.

KO

66dvlbrd68

Established Member
FR500 motor

Originally posted by chassebr
“The 5.0-liter Cammer delivers a healthy 425-430 horsepower at 6700 rpm. The torque curve peaks with 370 foot-pounds at 4000 rpm.”

They state 11.0:1 compression ratio with the new 5.0 cammer and an aluminum block. I wonder if the 425 hp guesstimate is a naturally aspirated number.

I remember reading about the FR500 a while back and had a quick question:

How close to the FR500 motor is the new '5.0 Cammer'?

i'm sure this new crate motor will be hella expensive...'03 cobra crate motor is like $14K or something like that...

chassebr

Established Member
I'm sure the FR500 motor is very similar to this one. The FR500 is a test bed for all the new goodies.

TTAFB_SVT

BETHA'S BACK !!!!!!!
Established Member
The FR500 had a much different intake which this motor won't have and the FR500 used spray bore to attain 5 liters. That was deemed much to expensive and not proven,thus it wasn't used in the 5.0 cammer. Otherwise,it will be very similiar.

hoodedsnake

Established Member
The seats are not entirely red just the alcantara inserts are red with the same black/silver snake we have on our cars.

66dvlbrd68

Established Member
Originally posted by TTAFB_SVT
The FR500 had a much different intake which this motor won't have and the FR500 used spray bore to attain 5 liters. That was deemed much to expensive and not proven,thus it wasn't used in the 5.0 cammer. Otherwise,it will be very similiar.

chassebr and TTAFB_SVT, thanks for the response.

Just was wondering if it was exactly the same thing or not.

Wonder how much that crate motor would run...probably as much as the '03 cobra crate motor? maybe more?

wish I had $$$ to make a street rod....i know what i'd be throwing it in..

hey, speaking of which....you think anyone will use the 5.0 cammer? i mean, like Panoz, or the other auto makers that use Ford v8 motors in their cars?

Users who are viewing this thread