11/12 exhaust on a 10

Growlar

Established Member
I know I have seen it in here somewhere but I cant get search to work at all..anyways whats the difference between 11 and 12 exhaust as compared to 10? Is it just bending some hangers or cutting some off? the pipes are all bent the same way correct? I want from manifold back all 3 inch but better selection for 11/12s

Speedboosted

Established Member
2010 exhaust is 2.5" off the manifolds, 2011+ is 2.75" off the manifolds. To do a complete swap, you will need the H pipe, OTA's, mufflers, and hangers from the 2011.

Growlar

Established Member
2010 exhaust is 2.5" off the manifolds, 2011+ is 2.75" off the manifolds. To do a complete swap, you will need the H pipe, OTA's, mufflers, and hangers from the 2011.

let me rephrase..whats the difference in aftermarket exhaust between the 11/12 and the 10..why do they have 2 different part numbers for same diameter system?

rdanzy

Established Member
The muffler hanger part numbers are different for the 2010 to the 2011-12. Stock exhaust for the 2010 uses has an X-pipe while the 11-12 has an H-pipe.

Last edited:

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
The muffler hangers and the muffler hanger mounting points are different for the 2010 and the 2011-12. The 2010 uses one hanger per muffler while the 2011-12 uses two hangers per muffler. I assume that the AM 2010 exhaust would fit your present hangers.

I thought it was 2007-2010's have two muffler mounting points and 2011-up have three?

Link below, 2011-up muffler (2014), incorrectly identified as 2010-2014........

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2010-2014-2...ash=item2a63c745a8:g:7yAAAOSw3KFWczCF&vxp=mtr

^^^^Three hanger points per muffler.

Many people think that because the 2010 looks more similar to the 2011-2014 that 2010 was the first year for many unseen changes, this is incorrect, much of the 2010 retained 2007-2009 parts and specs with only a face lift on the outside. It was 2011 when things really started to change.

OEM 2007-2010 muffler hanger design.............

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2007-2008-2...ash=item4afd25f512:g:INkAAOSwoBtW52jL&vxp=mtr

R

Last edited:

rdanzy

Established Member
Your correct Robert. I edited my post. I was thinking about the 2013 exhaust that I have for my 2010, Those have two hangers each with three mounting points. My 2010 had one hanger each side with two mounting points.

The 2010 is unique with the body style of the 11-14 and basically the 07-09 drive train. I seen the 10 referred to as the "red headed step child" on this site. So I suppose that I have the correct color for a 2010.

tktlwyr

Established Member
If you switch to a 2011+ system, you will also need clamps for the exhaust. I recently did the switch on my 2010 to long tubes and a 2.75" exhaust. Because I hadn't thought about the clamps, my system was originally welded on. I subsequently went back and had V-bands installed between mid-pipe and cat-back and on the cat-back to muffler portion.

FWIW, I went with 2.75" as opposed to 3" for both clearance reasons over the axle area and muffler choice. I'm very happy with how it turned out in terms of sound and drone.

Growlar

Established Member
so if I go with a 11/12 system all I need to do is mount some different hangers for the mufflers?....several companies make a full 3 inch system for the '10 but all but one that I have found uses straight through mufflers..thats the issue... I want "turbo" style mufflers not straight through....3" with like borla touring mufflers is what i'm after

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
Your correct Robert. I edited my post. I was thinking about the 2013 exhaust that I have for my 2010, Those have two hangers each with three mounting points. My 2010 had one hanger each side with two mounting points.

The 2010 is unique with the body style of the 11-14 and basically the 07-09 drive train. I seen the 10 referred to as the "red headed step child" on this site. So I suppose that I have the correct color for a 2010.

I think that the three mount set-up holds the muffler in the correct position better, especially for ease of assy. line installation.

Do the 2011-up hangers bolt in place on the earlier cars? or does it require drilling an additional hole in the hanger mounting location to add the third hanger on the 2010 and earlier cars?

I think some of the interior also carried over from 2009 to 2010, like the seats, not the seat covers, but the seat foam and seat structure.

2010 is definitely a unique year.

R

Last edited:

PistolWhip

Resident Man Dime
Established Member
I actually have an 07-09 3" Shelby Super Snake cat back on my car and the fit was certainly not direct. I don't know what, if anything, changed between 09 and 10, but my axle back needed some "tweaking" to get the muffler hangers to work in the factory hanger receivers.
I run Kooks headers into a Kooks 3" H into the 3" SSS cat back. It all fits under the car fine, it's just not a direct bolt in when it comes to the muffler hangers.

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
I actually have an 07-09 3" Shelby Super Snake cat back on my car and the fit was certainly not direct. I don't know what, if anything, changed between 09 and 10, but my axle back needed some "tweaking" to get the muffler hangers to work in the factory hanger receivers.
I run Kooks headers into a Kooks 3" H into the 3" SSS cat back. It all fits under the car fine, it's just not a direct bolt in when it comes to the muffler hangers.

^^^^I have that catback on my 2008, but also the rest of that system 3" forward to the manifolds (Ford Racing ceramic shorty's in my case). That original Shelby "Super Snake 700" optional exhaust was made by JBA. Some people had fitment problems with the installs, mine went on relatively easily. I was concerned at first since the full 3" is mandrel bent with no kinks or downsizing around the axle bends, but it all fit in place and I have no contact issues anywhere.

Since a 3" exhaust system is naturally heavier than my original 2.50", I added the 2007 GT500 transmission cross member which includes exhaust hangers at the mid-point. I question why Ford used mid-point hangers to start with in 2007 and why it was deleted for 2008-up. I have heard it was for cost reasons?

Hanging a full exhaust system on the manifold studs up front and then wayyyyyy back at the mufflers with nothing in between? The mid-point hangers that the 2007 GT500 had seemed to make more sense to me to support the system................but that is just me and my thoughts...........

The Shelby/JBA x-pipe had the hangers already welded on, I figured why not use them for some mid support?

R

Last edited:

Stetler17

Established Member
so if I go with a 11/12 system all I need to do is mount some different hangers for the mufflers?....several companies make a full 3 inch system for the '10 but all but one that I have found uses straight through mufflers..thats the issue... I want "turbo" style mufflers not straight through....3" with like borla touring mufflers is what i'm after

The 2011 and up hangers bolt right to your 2010 with no modifications. Your forward mount will be replaced with a double hanger and the rear mount is replaced with one rotated 90 degrees. You will need two forward mounts, two rear mounts and the two rubber isolators. I got mine from the dealer. If you have found a '11 up system you like this is the easiest option for you. Search on ebay for pictures of the mounts and you will see how simple the swap is.

As Robert M pointed out, the three point system holds the muffler in the right position much better and makes putting it together easier as a bonus.

PistolWhip

Resident Man Dime
Established Member
^^^^I have that catback on my 2008, but also the rest of that system 3" forward to the manifolds (Ford Racing ceramic shorty's in my case). That original Shelby "Super Snake 700" optional exhaust was made by JBA. Some people had fitment problems with the installs, mine went on relatively easily. I was concerned at first since the full 3" is mandrel bent with no kinks or downsizing around the axle bends, but it all fit in place and I have no contact issues anywhere.

Since a 3" exhaust system is naturally heavier than my original 2.50", I added the 2007 GT500 transmission cross member which includes exhaust hangers at the mid-point. I question why Ford used mid-point hangers to start with in 2007 and why it was deleted for 2008-up. I have heard it was for cost reasons?

Hanging a full exhaust system on the manifold studs up front and then wayyyyyy back at the mufflers with nothing in between? The mid-point hangers that the 2007 GT500 had seemed to make more sense to me to support the system................but that is just me and my thoughts...........

The Shelby/JBA x-pipe had the hangers already welded on, I figured why not use them for some mid support?

R

It's funny you mention that, I thought the same thing but never thought about putting the older cross member on it. Mine fits ok, I just don't like the way it mounts in the back. I get some squeaks sometimes.

Users who are viewing this thread