110 octane!!

323octavio

Established Member
Hey wats up guys need some help here!!!will 100 or 110 octane hurt my truck if i dnt have a race tune. I just have a street tune!!

Last edited:

Hyboostin

Aim-Hold-Squeeze
Established Member
It wont hurt your truck but it is leaded gas your not going to see much of a gain by just putting in 110 octane normally higher octane is used when rising boost pressure to avoid denotation and knocking.

Your just going to gap a handfull of horsepower and spend a extra 5 dollars a gallon.

S P E E D

Established Member
It wont hurt your truck but it is leaded gas your not going to see much of a gain by just putting in 110 octane normally higher octane is used when rising boost pressure to avoid denotation and knocking.

Your just going to gap a handfull of horsepower and spend a extra 5 dollars a gallon.

You can get unleaded Race gas and it is very common. Pro fuels Mark 2 is one of them and it is Unleaded. We splash a 50/50 mix in our circle track car with great results on the dyno, mind you we tune for it. I splashed a 1/4 tank of 110 to a 1/2 tank of 94 near the end of this season to be on the safe side with the cooler air.

I wouldn't go overboard with mixing crazy amounts of 110 though. Its more an insurance in the colder weather. But as stated above it is costly as hell...I had 2 drums in the garage left over from our race car and needed to use some up.

Sinister04L

RIP Kane
Established Member
Like already said, you can over-octane your truck. There's no point in running a high octane fuel like that without a tune for it, you'll only run slower.

_XXX_

Established Member
I have never heard of a engine being damaged from to high of octane leaded or unleaded. I know leaded will ruin your o2 sensor and plug yours cats. Also I have never heard of anyone running 100+ octane on a mild tune you need it on high compression/boost engines to help avoid premature detonation from compression and heat. From what I know octane won't add hp or tq it will only allow you to make more through the proper mods.

Last edited:

Jarrett H

Established Member
Okay, it is generally known the higher octane won't hurt a vehicle, but if it is unleaded it can cause problems for your O2 sensors and greatly shorten their lifespan. Higher octane just slightly reduces the combustion temperature, but it doesn't have the burning qualities of lower octane. Same goes for alternative fuels like alcohol.

You aren't going to hurt your truck, but you might kill your O2 sensors and lose some power. The only reason you run higher octane is to reduce the chances for detonation/pre-ignition. I probably spent a week 8 hours a day learning about fuels.

ps, make sure the 110 is Ron and Mon /2 for a comparable octane rating.

wydopnthrtl

Established Member
Fortunately you don't *have to* have a *complete 110octane* fuel in the tank. There is a thing called mixing that would give an acceptible level of octane and lead.

Rich ;)

01whiteL

Established Member
save your money until you are tuned from it.... until then it wont help and just takes a chance at screwing something up. Splashing a little with your 93 woudl just help against detonation, not for power.

Users who are viewing this thread