'12 adjustable steering stiffness flashed on an '11?

jbur074

Established Member
id like to know, my steering is kind of annoying i wish it was stiffer. i used to work as a mechanics apprentice at a local ford dealer, i will ask some of my old buddies if they can look into it.

jbur074

Established Member
is the 12 steering stiffer than the 11? if so i wonder if you could just simply update the steering to an 12

10random

SVT Lurker
Established Member
No, there are 3 modes for steering on 2012's

And you can select sport mode with full stability still on. In the 2011 models you can have standard or sport(but only when enabled via SC being in sport mode).

Last edited:

AmnDucky

Established Member
is the 12 steering stiffer than the 11? if so i wonder if you could just simply update the steering to an 12

It's adjustable. There is nothing to upgrade to. The steering rack, computer, user controls, dash, etc are all identical. The dealer would just need to plug their computer in and reflash the cars computer. Assuming they have access to the program.

kevinp

Established Member
It's adjustable. There is nothing to upgrade to. The steering rack, computer, user controls, dash, etc are all identical. The dealer would just need to plug their computer in and reflash the cars computer. Assuming they have access to the program.

The 2011 GT500s had a recall for something glitching in the electric power steering so the dealer can access the module and update it. But whether or not Ford will let them do it I dont know.

AmnDucky

Established Member
i take it we would need to reflash back to stock

I think (don't quote me on this) that it's not the ECU that controls the steering, it's a separate computer. I would tune back to stock to be safe though, whether or not I'm right.

JL-KA

Established Member
The 2011 GT500s had a recall for something glitching in the electric power steering so the dealer can access the module and update it. But whether or not Ford will let them do it I dont know.

If they can do it, screw what Ford says. Just voids the steering related warranty and a lot of that is wear items anyways.

AmnDucky

Established Member
If they can do it, screw what Ford says. Just voids the steering related warranty and a lot of that is wear items anyways.

Why would it void the warranty? Ford parts, Ford programming, Ford installed. I don't see a problem.

kevinp

Established Member

Has nothing to do with warranty, most dealers wont mess with any steering or ABS code unless its authorized for liability reasons. But if you know a Ford tech ask him, most likely the 2011-2012 EPAS unit is the same part number and when they install it it gets programmed. If thats the case they should be able to program a 2011 to the 2012 code, if its a different part number then maybe not.

Users who are viewing this thread