12 days until deployment...

92hatchlx

Colorado Rocky Mountain High
Established Member
Got most of the big stuff taken care of. Still need to go over and have legal do my will (have all of the paper work finished). The stang is being stored with dad and he has the power of attorney for that. Autopay is set up on my bills. Have extra uniforms, socks, shirts etc. Anything else you guys want to throw out there for me is appreciated!

Stanger00

Established Member
Your first deployment?

Ask people who already been deployed and use their advice. I was a maintainer in the Air Force so what I needed may be different then what you require. I was in Iraq for 10 months and left in July this year but was a civilian contractor. If you are going there good luck because there may not be much to support you when it comes to personal supplies.

megameGT500

Suck it up and drive on!!
Established Member
Got most of the big stuff taken care of. Still need to go over and have legal do my will (have all of the paper work finished). The stang is being stored with dad and he has the power of attorney for that. Autopay is set up on my bills. Have extra uniforms, socks, shirts etc. Anything else you guys want to throw out there for me is appreciated!

Lots of baby wipes. They might be the only bath you get. Get an external HD and get it packed with movies/music if you bring a laptop. Gold Bond blue. Baby Powder. Make sure you have the sling you like for your weapon. Believe it not some guys get over there and and get sling envy. Comfortable combat gloves. I like Oakley's. Make sure all of your boots are broke in. I might be able to think of more later. Take care of yourself and your buddies and subordinates if you have any. Good luck and Godspeed.

97desertCobra

Procharged!
Established Member
Depends on where you are deploying to. There are many FOB's in Trashghanistan that still do not having running water because they are very very isolated.

But some of the large, main FOB's have almost all the conveniences you can get here in the states, to include Burger King.

92hatchlx

Established Member
Yes first deployment. I'll be in the Gulf the majority of the time, I'm Navy. We have a ton of baby wipes stashed in our shop. Last deployment we were out of water for a couple weeks... Got pretty nasty from what I hear. Thanks for all of the suggestions and wishes!

speedsun

Established Member
Spray for athletes foot. My feet started rotting after like 2 weeks in KAF haha

Oh yea, calling cards. There's a Texas number you can call dsn. They will allow you to put in the calling card number and then dial your phone number. Saves on overseas calling since you're dialing out from Texas

Last edited:

92hatchlx

Established Member
Spray for athletes foot. My feet started rotting after like 2 weeks in KAF haha

Oh yea, calling cards. There's a Texas number you can call dsn. They will allow you to put in the calling card number and then dial your phone number. Saves on overseas calling since you're dialing out from Texas

Thanks for the suggestion! I'm an ET and I'm also the ship's UHF LOS and SATCOM and SHF SATCOM tech. I have my ways of making free phone calls :D

Are you on a ship or a Seabee?

Ship, LSD-52 USS Pearl Harbor. 11th MEU is also attached to us for this deployment.

Users who are viewing this thread