12 inch wide wheels

v10brat

I would like to know if anyone has been able to fit a 12 inch wide wheel on the rear of their car wth the factory suspension and rear end etc.. If so can you give me the wheel offsets backspacing and brand . Thanks Bill

Last edited:

jcthorne

Established Member
Unless you want an inch sticking out the outside.......

Really, 335/30/18 on an 11" is about all that will fit and its VERY tight.

jcthorne

Established Member
how are u fitting 335s on the rear without any rubbing?

How?

I had discount tire mount the 335/30/18 Nitto 555Rs on my 18x11 stock wheels widened 1.5 inches. Put them on the car. They fit. Only mod I have that actually helps this work is the adjustable pan hard bar. The axel must be centered or they will not fit on both sides. My car is lowered as well.

Really, its that easy. They just fit. Many cars are running this combo now, its old news.

navyboy12807

Established Member
How?

I had discount tire mount the 335/30/18 Nitto 555Rs on my 18x11 stock wheels widened 1.5 inches. Put them on the car. They fit. Only mod I have that actually helps this work is the adjustable pan hard bar. The axel must be centered or they will not fit on both sides. My car is lowered as well.

Really, its that easy. They just fit. Many cars are running this combo now, its old news.

getting the axel centered isnt a problem. im in the process of buying
gr8snkbite's shelby. i jumped on ts forum and no one believes that anything over a 305 would fit unless i spend thousands and thousands to replace the rear. im thinking about getting ccw sp500 what offset and backspacing should i go? should i go with stock ones?

Dave07997S

Established Member
getting the axel centered isnt a problem. im in the process of buying
gr8snkbite's shelby. i jumped on ts forum and no one believes that anything over a 305 would fit unless i spend thousands and thousands to replace the rear. im thinking about getting ccw sp500 what offset and backspacing should i go? should i go with stock ones?

You should talk to John over at CCW? He's pretty knowledgeable.

Dave

Dave07997S

Established Member
kewl but im not looking to drag but a couple of time 2-3times a year. i want to get on a road course the most. thats more fun for me. but thanks for the info.

If you want to road course the car I would try and keep as square as setup as you can. I would't go above a 10.5-11" rear with a 305 tire out back and a 285 up front.

Dave

09Troublemaker

" That don't sound stock"
Established Member
If you want to road course the car I would try and keep as square as setup as you can. I would't go above a 10.5-11" rear with a 305 tire out back and a 285 up front.

Dave

agree.....square is key...my bud runs 285/285 and works great
then again, he also runs the griggs hardware

Dave07997S

Established Member
agree.....square is key...my bud runs 285/285 and works great
then again, he also runs the griggs hardware

When you have a car with the weight distribution of the Shelby it should have the 305's on the front:D

The Griggs hardware really plants the rearend on these cars letting you get away with a smaller footprint. The 285/305 setup would not only look great on the car but would really dial alot of the push out of these things. The staggered setup on the Shelby really only makes sense for the looks of the car more so than the driving dynamics. Porsche gets away with a 235 front and 295 or 305 rear due to the rear end bias of the 911.

Dave

Phillip

Very old post I know but just going to put this out there as this question still comes up alot.
I am running a 12" rear wheel with a 13 1\2" tred area. It's simple to do.
1. get a BFH (big Fn hammer)
2. Get smaller springs like what would be on a coil over for the rear and put them in place of the stock spring.
(I opted for full weld on coilovers but it's not needed)
3. Cut away part of the stock spring perch.
4. Use the BFH to move you inner tub well in an inch. (Can also cut the tub out and move it out 1" and just add in a 1" strip of sheet metal)
5. Run a 6.5 back spacing on stock 8.8 rearend. (Cobra and turbo coupe are 3/4" wider thar standard mustang rearends)
6. Roll your quarter lip along the top.

Note: you will have to run dumps where tail pipes will not clear stock gas tank with a big tire.

Note: by cutting or hammering the inner tubs this way you can still run your stock inner quarter plastic with out having to cut them.

Users who are viewing this thread