12 New Performance Vehicles by 2020 - What's Next from Ford?

CobraRed01

CornerCarvinCravin
Established Member
Ya got yer:
1) 2015 Mustang
2) GT350
3) GT350R
4) Fiesta ST
5) Focus ST
6) Focus RS
7) Ford GT
8) New Raptor
9) ....and upcoming GT500

Three (or more) left??? What's next?

The Daisy - an updated AC Shelby inspired roadster?
The GR1 - an updated Daytona Coupe?
The Thunderbird - a replacement for the SHO?

Is there a place for performance/price levels between the GT500 and the Ford GT? Just my thoughts and ruminations. May not be valid...but what do you think is next?

Last edited:

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
are those legit code names still out there?

Id love for a return of the Thunderbird as a true 2 seater rwd roadster.

UnorthodoxCreat

Established Member
I would expect some sort of Boss or Mach variant of the Mustang to slot above the GT and below the Cobras. I too would love to see the Thunderbird return. It needs to at least offer a sportier variant than see saw last time. This would also be a platform for Lincoln to do something cool. A faster Explorer would be cool but I don't see it being likely.

HEMI LOL

Twin Screwed
Established Member
over on the EB boards there is a guy that works in the taurus plant in CH. he says there is a next gen show coming, but can't really say anyting of course.

please let it be super sexy, and have a better awd system.

B0B

Established Member
I would like to see the next Mach 1. I wouldn't mind seeing a Fusion ST. Getting the Falcon in the US would be awesome too

CobraRed01

CornerCarvinCravin
Established Member
are those legit code names still out there?

Not sure if the Daisy code is still alive anywhere...but it was a sharp looking roaster. The GR1 was a killer coupe design. I wouldn't be surprised if the Thunderbird name reappears in one form or another. There appears to be room for a high performance roadster or spyder. I've been wondering since the new FGT will be up around $200K if a more direct Corvette competitor (price point sports car) might be in the plans.

CobraRed01

CornerCarvinCravin
Established Member
I would expect some sort of Boss or Mach variant of the Mustang to slot above the GT and below the Cobras. I too would love to see the Thunderbird return. It needs to at least offer a sportier variant than see saw last time. This would also be a platform for Lincoln to do something cool. A faster Explorer would be cool but I don't see it being likely.

You would think Lincoln could kick up the performance to compete with Cadillac...but despite how awesome their performance marque is, Cadillac sales are down. We shall see. Mach 1 would be cool...but I'm biased toward a pure SVT Cobra...which just ain't gonna happen anymore. How about a new Mustang SVO sporting a variation of the FGT EBoost V6...this could be a way to move the Mustang faithful away from the V8.

Last edited:

CobraRed01

CornerCarvinCravin
Established Member
Fusion with a motor, so I can buy one...cheaper than a SHO though!

over on the EB boards there is a guy that works in the taurus plant in CH. he says there is a next gen show coming, but can't really say anyting of course.

please let it be super sexy, and have a better awd system.

I would like to see the next Mach 1. I wouldn't mind seeing a Fusion ST. Getting the Falcon in the US would be awesome too

Fusion RS or ST would be sweeeet

Yeah, a hot Fusion below the new SHO would be the ticket. All the performance bases covered...from Fiesta to Taurus. Now we need something between the GT500 and FGT. Gonna be fun to watch...

Riddla

It's for your own protection
Established Member
A Ford Lightning with a powerful and awe inspiring 3.5 TT V6, not a tremor

Sapperstang

Established Member
[QUOTE

Id love for a return of the Thunderbird as a true 2 seater rwd roadster.[/QUOTE]

Didn't they already attempt that once with the 11th generation?

CobraRed01

CornerCarvinCravin
Established Member
Sapperstang;14645044 [QUOTE said:

Didn't they already attempt that once with the 11th generation?[/QUOTE]

Yeah... it looked like the brown recluse. Uh, I mean...Pontiac Solstice.

I am sure any new roadster the do would be awesome. Roaster-wise, I was thinking the Daisy and maybe a Thunderbird a'la the 10th generation... as a larger upscale performance coupe.

Last edited:

Silverstrike

It's to big to move FAST!
Established Member
Getting the Falcon in the US would be awesome too

For the 100th time the Ford Falcon can not nor will it ever be able to be converted to left hand drive, Plus Ford of Australia is dead after 2016. The only way you are going to get one is to import it and then jump through a lot of hoops bringing it up to US road standards. But a US version of the car is impossible.

Didn't they already attempt that once with the 11th generation?

Yes and then Ford didn't do nothing more than use the Lincoln LS chassie and underpinnings with the same 4.0 and 4.2L V8. What the car really needed was the Jaguar S-type R S/C 390 hp mill and suspension. It really was all show no go with that car there was just better options out there for the money, namely the Vette convertible. In 2001 I know the T-bird stickered for $42,000 you could of gotten the vette for $45 to 47,000. 280 hp vs 350 hp, it really was a no brainer unless you wanted the cool looks.

Last edited:

kevinatfms

Ex-Ford/Kia/Hyundai Tech
Established Member
Premium Member
Ford F150 ST?
Ford Edge ST?
Ford Explorer ST?
Ford Fusion ST?
Ford CMaxx ST?

paluka21

Established Member
Ya got yer:
1) 2015 Mustang
2) GT350
3) GT350R
4) Fiesta ST
5) Focus ST
6) Focus RS
7) Ford GT
8) New Raptor
9) ....and upcoming GT500

Three (or more) left??? What's next?

The Daisy - an updated AC Shelby inspired roadster?
The GR1 - an updated Daytona Coupe?
The Thunderbird - a replacement for the SHO?

Is there a place for performance/price levels between the GT500 and the Ford GT? Just my thoughts and ruminations. May not be valid...but what do you think is next?

If Ford were to build another GT500, where would it lie price wise? You have the Mustang GT topping out in the mid to high $40K's loaded, the GT350 which is "anticipated" to start in the $50K's, the GT350R which IMO would be every bit of $12-15K in excess of the GT350 model, and then a future 500 perhaps? If Ford built a new 500 and mass produced it like they have been,and stamped it with a $70K price tag, they may have a more difficult time selling the car due to it being out of peoples price range. JMO

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
There's a huge price gap between the GT350 and the Ford GT. Tons of space to slot a bunch of cars in there. It would be nice if they would slide a GR-1 in there to do battle with the Viper T/A, Z06/ZR1, 911 GT3, et al. As cagy as Jamal has been when asked about an upcoming GT500, it just doesn't look like there will be another one anytime soon. At least, that's what reading his reactions and mannerisms is telling me. And to be honest, I don't really care if they don't build another one. It's time to move on from overpowered, under-chassis'd cars. If they build one, it might actually be a Cobra Jet replacement and not a road car at all.

An AWD Fusion SHO would be nice to put a stamp on that market. I can't really think of too many performance vehicle classes Ford could fit in that they aren't already in. Maybe go even smaller and reintroduce the Festiva?? LOL A Festiva ST??? LOL Possibly a mini-roadster to battle the Miata? (Call it Pinto/Pint?) Mazda has had a monopoly in that space for decades. Honda had a good run with the S2000 and GM saw success with the Solstice/Skyy. There's money for the taking in that segment. Maybe if they see the same success with the GT this time around, it might be a springboard into the hypercar segment. :shrug: We already know they could do it with ease.

Users who are viewing this thread