1252 mile break-in drive

islandmon

Established Member
:beer:

First of all, I want to thank Chris who told me about the car (who I didn't get to call because I left his number at my office) and the folks at Bob Allen Ford in Overland Park (KC suburb) Kansas. ( I think I'll write a separate thread just to tell this forum our great these folks were.

After being screwed and strangled by my local Ford dealer I found
the Torch Red vert I wanted, made the deal over the phone & fax and flew out Friday morning from Florida to KC and picked up the car from the showroom. Made the deal @ MSRP. I left Friday about 3:30 pm with 61 miles on the car and headed east through Missouri and Illinois to Kentucky where I stopped for the night.

I fgured the best way to break one in is to vary the speeds and keep everything else consistent (shifter and clutch useage etc).
I didn't take it above 4500 until after 350 miles into the trip.

The car ran great. After I crossed the 1000 mile mark on the second day I ran it up to 120 and it was smooth and steady and pulling strong to go faster, however, since the three things I forgot to pack included my radar detector (cell phone charger & Chris's number were the other two) I didn't stay up there long.

The car impressed me more with it's handling than with it's straightline kick ass power. The faster she goes, the better she handles. Coming down through the mountains of Kentucky and Tennessee were a blast. Having owned three Porsche, I appreciate great handling. The Cobra is definitely a good handling car but does not feel quite as precise as the Porsches did. I do hope the wonderful "tight" feeling stays that way as the car gets some miles on it. Our last Porsche, a 1991 S2 had 107,000 miles on it after 7 years, when we sold it (yes -we drive our cars) but it still felt very tight and precise.

Anyway the trip was fantastic. I did 75% of it with the top down soaking up the sun and the smell of America in summer.

I spent three hours today cleaning the Cobra after the trip and took some pics. I will try to figure out how to download them to this forum when I've done here.

The car looks awesome but is understated. Going down the road it is hard to tell the $ 39,000 Mustang from the $ 23,000 Mustang but, I didn't buy the car to impress anyone else but my bride and she loves it (She will be driving it more than I will). The exhaust is too quiet outside the car. It sounds better inside the car than it does out. I will be looking to change that as soon as I find a mod that doesn't jeopardize the warranty.

The fit and finish are good. The convertible top is beautiful inside and out and the car is relatively wind noise free with the top up.
We are in the Tampa/St. Pete area of Florida and would like to talk to other Cobra enthusiasts in out area.

Keep testing the mods guys. These are fast motors begging to have more of their potential used.

Wanna_Stang

Established Member
Glad to hear about the great deal with them... did you see any other 03's ?? I have family in Oak Park and if they had any others worth checking out i may consider heading back.

stangfan

When in doubt.. Floor it!
Established Member
Thanks for the Info! I'm driving mine home (Atlanta, GA) from Pittsburgh, PA (~700 miles). I was curious as to how the low RPM, long hour drive was.

One question, do you plan on changing the oil? If so, what are you going to run in her?

islandmon

Established Member
Originally posted by stangfan
Thanks for the Info! I'm driving mine home (Atlanta, GA) from Pittsburgh, PA (~700 miles). I was curious as to how the low RPM, long hour drive was.

One question, do you plan on changing the oil? If so, what are you going to run in her?

The car runs 80 mph @ 2200 rpm, so that kinda puts "low rpm' into perspective! I plan on changing the oil this week, probably run the recommended Motorcraft oil & filter.

You will have a great drive up through the hills and mountains.

"You know the most amazing thing? Everywhere I go, there I am!"

i8u

Established Member
islandmon,

Glad to hear you like your vert. I recently put a deposit down on a black vert due in a 7/22 at Bob Allen Ford. What kind of gas milege did you observe?

islandmon

Established Member
gas mileage

I had a gas every mile I drove it so far ... that's as close as I have come to thinking about gas mileage!!!!!!!!!!!!

Really, it has a very small tank and the fuel gauge is not linear so when it says have a tank, you have about a third. All I know is I stopped a lot to fill up.

The people at Bob Allen at great. They really made an effort to show you they care. You are lucky to be in their area.

i8u

Established Member
That is awsome! Did you say the car had 61 miles when you picked it up? Was there any rubber in the fender wells? I hope the black vert I ordered from them doesn't have that many. Glad to hear you had a good drive. Did you see any LT1's on the way back? hehe.

islandmon

Established Member
no black rubber in the wheels wells

The new car sales manager, John Ragona, had his name on this particular car order back in February but had some things come up where the $ and the timing wasn't right when the car came in. They did have a $ 5000 additional sticker on the car but didn't hesitate a bit when I offered MSRP the first night I called - providing I was a private owner not a re-seller. Plus, John had to listen to my sob story about the incompetent people at my local Ford delaership. He and the owner, Brad Hewllet both drove the car and it was test driven by two folks with John - thus the miles - and I did check the car closely before I took in out of the showroom.

There is a plastic handle for the driver's seat back release that had a crack in it (where it meets the metal arm of the lever) and one paint imperfection, other than that she was good to go.

BTW: the guys at Bob Allen gave me a nice Bob Allen polo shirt and hat. Since the incompentent Ford dealer here just spent a ton remodeling their store and had their re-Grand Opening on Sunday - I just had to stop in wearing the BA shirt and hat with the only 03 Cobra in town! touche!

i8u

Established Member
Did you already go back? If not, bring a camera so you can take a picture of the look on their face and post it!:lol:

Users who are viewing this thread