12mm vs 14mm bolt

TRBO VNM

front end? that would be a first. My only knowledge of the 14mm bolt issue is the IRS bolts. The 2 front IRS bolts came in 12mm from the manufacturer on most of the cars, but should have been 14mm bolts. This is in the rear of the car and supposedly with the 12mm bolts it adds to the wheel hop/driveline clunk. The IRS has 4 main bolts holding it up in the rear. 2 in the front of the IRS and 2 in the rear of the IRS. It is the front 2 that need replacement. I got mine from maximum motorsports. you also need the nuts as well.

Rick@Amazon

SVT God
Established Member
Some cars came through with 12mm bolts in the IRS mount. Anytime we do any irs mods we check this first. We have the 14mm bolts in stock if you need them.

Rick

jordanvraptor

Established Member
I had my dealer change the 12 to 14 mm and noticed no difference in the wheel hop situation. There was also no wear on the 12 mm bolts after 16000 miles.......

SWEET03COBRA

Established Member
is there a way to tell what the bolts are? I'm a second owner. Or do you have to pull them out and mic it?

dhammans

Established Member
I believe they are referring to the bolt head. They are probably M12x1.25 or something like that -- but the head size should easily be identifiable by looking at it.

If your not super experienced with eyeballing metric sizes just grab a couple wrenches and see which ones fit.

yeasure

Old School ModularMan
Established Member
New question, can you buy these bolts at a hardware store or any other store, if so what should we be looking for?

dhammans

Established Member
I wouldn't reccomend just buying bolts off the shelf at a hardware store -- the bolts you need are of a very high grade.

Most hardware store bolts could be cut in half by your grandmas denchers :).

If you can match the grade and be sure you're getting the right thing I wouldn't see any problem with it. From the sounds of things though you might be better off just buying from MM or from Ford. That way you'll be sure to get the right thing.

Last edited:

yeasure

Old School ModularMan
Established Member
Anyone have the part# for ford then?

PGreenSVT

Established Member
Originally posted by jordanvraptor
I had my dealer change the 12 to 14 mm and noticed no difference in the wheel hop situation. There was also no wear on the 12 mm bolts after 16000 miles.......

This isn't responsible for wheel hop but it is the source of the clunk that many IRS rear cars experience.

03 Red Cobra

Established Member
The official Ford part numbers are:
W704939-S426 Bolt List- $5.33
W520215-S427 Nut List- $1.81

You need 2 of each. I have had these items sitting on my tool box since November, but have yet to install them. I really doubt that they will make a difference on the clunk. The clunk is caused by all the play in the driveshaft u-joints, halfshaft u-joints and in the ring and pinion.

yeasure

Old School ModularMan
Established Member
I went to my local ford dealership today with those part#'s and the guy looked at me and told me he needed more info then just a part#.
I told him they were 14mm bolts but he said he couldn't help me, what gives?
Is this just another sorry @$$ ford dealership to lazy to look on their computers?

TRBO VNM

Originally posted by CastIronMan
I went to my local ford dealership today with those part#'s and the guy looked at me and told me he needed more info then just a part#.
Is this just another sorry @$$ ford dealership to lazy to look on their computers?

if those are the correct #'s, then the dealer sucks. My dealer foudn them with just the part number..that is what it is for. Plus my dealer could only order packs of 4. I ended up buying from MM.

I can't remember the size of the bolt head, but I do know that is different from the 12mm bolts. maybe someone with them sitting around can check the size of the 14mm bolt head. My 12mm bolts had 3500 miles on them and showed wear.

Oxford Snake

Established Member
I contacted a few Ford dealers in my area and you could only buy these 14MM bolts if you bought the bag of 4 or 5. I believe the 12MM bolts use an 18MM socket and the 14MM bolts used a 21MM socket. I used my original front 12MM in the rear because the rears had really chewed up threads. I installed MM IRS bushings, UCA and LCA poly and the Steeda diff poly bushings. Car feels great and little to no wheel hop.

zeener96

Established Member
My car has a "pop" and a "clunk". The pop occurs when taking off, especially on an incline or when taking off kinda hard.

Could the "pop" be due to the 12mm bolts?

BLK03SVT10TH

Mods? What Mods??
Established Member
Here is the link to Maximum MotorSports. Save yourself the headache of trying to get the dealer to help you and just call an order them. They are Grade 10.5 Bolts I believe, and no it is not just the head of the bolt that is different. Here is a pic of the 2 different size bolts side by side. It worked wonders for my drive line clunk.

106_0607.jpg

http://www.maximummotorsports.com/mmirsu.asp

oldnfast

approaching ancient
Established Member
Originally posted by CastIronMan

Yes. You might want to add "stupid" in front of @$$. :bash:

MP3_Stang

LabVIEW Guru
Established Member
14mm

I had to buy the bolts and nuts in packs of four, so I have an extra pair to sell. $18 shipped to anywhere in the US.

03 Red Cobra

Established Member
Any decent dealership will sell you just 2 of each. If not, then they are just lazy and want to dump all 4 on you.

Users who are viewing this thread