13/14 HE vs Afco(no fans) HE

Stevan26

Established Member
hey guys,

i have an 08 and want to upgrade HE on a budget. im been looking at new or used Afco fans less units... or take off 13/14 stock HE units...

id be purchasing the VMP 150$ install kit... so im looking for 13/14s for a reasonable price, so far it seems as though id be about in the same amount as an afco brand new..

so my question is...

WHICH one is more efficient? the 13/14 or the afco with no fans? to me if they were close to the same... itd make more sense to get a afco one for the same price but itd be brand new, and a direct fit install...

what you all think?

also, compare the fluidyne one as well.. thats another fanless HE around the same price

Last edited:

Speedboosted

Established Member
Don't buy the VMP install kit if you get the 13/14 HE, pm me and I'll show you how to hook it up. I like how the 13/14 performs. A lot of people will jump in and say that its a waste of money, buy one with fans, blah blah....they're correct if you're really going to be pushing the car but if not, the fans aren't really necessary.

As for 13/14 vs Afco... the takeoff HE is clearly much larger than the afco but is a single core design to the afco's dual core I believe. Pick up a 13/14 if it is about the money

VNMOUS1

Established Member
Don't waste your money on a non-fanned unit. Yours is just about as good. Want better? Get a VMP Triple Pass Dual Fan heat exchanger. That's worth it.

Black Cobra '99

Established Member
Don't waste your money on a non-fanned unit. Yours is just about as good. Want better? Get a VMP Triple Pass Dual Fan heat exchanger. That's worth it.

I have the VMP triple, and I don't know how it compares to the dual pass or other brands.
My experience with it is IAT2 is always hovering around 30-50* above ambient (50-70*). One day it hit 80* and I was impressed how IAT2 stayed on the lower side of the interval (30-40 above ambient).

That was mostly city driving, including stop-start, in traffic and between traffic signals. I couldn't go into boost because the clutch was slipping.
The real test is in the summer which is why I bought the triple, so when that time comes we'll see what its worth.

To answer you're question, I don't know which one is more efficient but I think the AFCO (or C&R for that matter) is the better choice because you have room to grow with the fans.
Fans aren't useless in hot weather, especially if you DD your car.

VNMOUS1

Established Member
I can sit in the pits after a pass with the fans and pump off....the convective heat will rise to 170 before start up. Within a minute of startup, it'll drop the temps to <125f! In less than 60 seconds! Multi-passes and big fans make a huge difference. Thanks for your purchase.

bj

Stevan26

Established Member
im gonna get a fanned unit sometime, but i need better then stock b4 spring, i have a TVS on my 08, i live in Northern MN, and i dont track my car yet... but i need to help with some heat soak. so i want to either do a 13/14 or an afco, or maybe even a 11/12 sense they are dual core and better then my 08... and can be bought for 100$ or so on here.....

im forsure buying a HE so get me through till dual fan, which will be a VMP unit forsure.

13/14 or afco or 11/12...

van from revan racing says no to afco. period...

CodyK7

Uh Ohhh
Established Member
im gonna get a fanned unit sometime, but i need better then stock b4 spring, i have a TVS on my 08, i live in Northern MN, and i dont track my car yet... but i need to help with some heat soak. so i want to either do a 13/14 or an afco, or maybe even a 11/12 sense they are dual core and better then my 08... and can be bought for 100$ or so on here.....

im forsure buying a HE so get me through till dual fan, which will be a VMP unit forsure.

13/14 or afco or 11/12...

van from revan racing says no to afco. period...

It depends on what you are doing with the car. If you just cruise on the weekends and aren't tracking the car you probably can just stay stock until you can get the dual fans. To me the biggest advantage of the fans is for track purposes while you are in the staging lanes. Everyone always talks about sitting in traffic but if you are in stop and go traffic you really dont need every ounce of hp anyway. I would just save until you can get the fans. The whole advantage is being able to move air over the heat exchanger while stopped. If you have the bigger unit it will just take a couple minutes longer to heat soak but it's still going to do it.

99cobraUgotbit

GT500
Established Member
Is there anyway to monitor iat without a guage? Can you use a laptop while data logging?? If so which parameter is it and what's it called?? Iirc, last time I data logged, I could not find the temperature parameter.

Black Cobra '99

Established Member
Is there anyway to monitor iat without a guage? Can you use a laptop while data logging?? If so which parameter is it and what's it called?? Iirc, last time I data logged, I could not find the temperature parameter.

If you're using SCT X4 then no, there is some kind of software issue with the X4.
There are a couple of threads on it. Other than that I don't know, but I think the old X3 can monitor IAT2 without issues.

On liveLink the PID is called ACT, downstream air temperature. Also, on the same row it says iat2.
Which is the one you want to select.

I opted for the Interceptor gauge because SCT wasn't responding to this issue, there was someone here who said they were working on it but nothing yet so why hang on until they move their a**es. Besides, with a gauge you can monitor IAT2 at all times as well as other parameters.

Last edited:

Black Cobra '99

Established Member
I can sit in the pits after a pass with the fans and pump off....the convective heat will rise to 170 before start up. Within a minute of startup, it'll drop the temps to <125f! In less than 60 seconds! Multi-passes and big fans make a huge difference. Thanks for your purchase.

bj

Thats 100% true, sometime it doesn't even take a minute to recover to that temperature.
If you sit long enough (more than 10min, while car is running) IAT2 could go to 60-70* above ambient, but the recovery time is so fast you wouldn't notice it.

I'm glad I made this purchase but as I said the real test is in the summer.

Stevan26

Established Member
i plan on taking it to the track eventually.. when its all set and ready, for now its just a pleasure car.. highway pulls mostly.. so the fans dont really appeal to me at this moment,

the 13/14 would do wonders for High way pulls... itd help if not get rid of my heat soak.

i understand the who dual fan thing, please understand i posted the thread to talk about fanless.... i the know all the advantages about fans and what not. and i know its finicially smarter to just save for the dual fan unit, problem is i want something right away for when i take the car out of winter storage... so again, please stick to topic. fanless HE

13/14, afco, 11/12, fluidyne. those are the fanless ones i know about. so far van from revan racing said dont even bother with the afco or the fluidyne and get the 13/14. anyone agree with that? so far i think thats my plan as they can be picked up for 150-250$

a month ago my plan was to get a 11/12 for 100$ and just use that till i got a dual fan VMP unit. but it seems i can pick up a 13/14 for not much more....

Black Cobra '99

Established Member
Well, It looks like you already made your mind. Just go with the 13/14 since you'll replace it eventually.

For the future, before you decide on a new H/E, search for a thread here about H/Es. I think the title was "which is the best H/E".
It was about AFCO vs C&R, pretty good info on there and it might help you decide on which one to get.

Last edited:

IronTerp

Mid-Atlantic Cobra Assoc.
Four years ago I bought a used Afco dual pass HE without fans that was in "like new" condition for $250. Use aggressive icing strategies at the track so it's not an issue when racing as long as it's not a scorching hot day or there are long lines. And I don't go to the track if either of these circumstances could occur!!

From a street use stand point, I VERY seldom drive in stop and go traffic and most always maintain a cruising MPH of at least 45 MPH so there's always good air flow blowing through my ole Afco. Is there any difference whether the air flowing through your HE is coming from natural airflow or fans pulling it through the fins???

If your street driving allows for constant air flow with little or not stop and go, you can get good performance out of your GT500 without fans.

Stevan26

Established Member
ok thanks guys! and i agree iron! if theres air flowing through it at a decent rate.. then i dont need fans unless im dragging and need the cool down session...

il most likely go with a 13/14 thanks!

black99lightnin

move along
Established Member
ok thanks guys! and i agree iron! if theres air flowing through it at a decent rate.. then i dont need fans unless im dragging and need the cool down session...

il most likely go with a 13/14 thanks!

when I go to the track and am trying to run a number, I always ice the intake and blower. I don't let the car run while in the staging lanes. Keep it off until I'm making a pass. I've also bought a small generator with a couple of Jegs fans to blow on the motor when I'm in the pits. A non fanned HE will be fine in these or while driving on the interstate circumstances. I've got a 13/14 HE that I'm gonna install.

ShelbyGT5HUN

Established Member
I have the dual fan C+R, and when I know I'm just DD it, I have the fuses pulled for the fans, which is about 99% of the time.

The VMP tune has the heat exchanger pump running all the time, which I don't like (and they want to charge me $199 to change it back, because I bought the car from another owner :nonono::rollseyes, so if I left the fan fuses connected, the fans would run ALL the time since the fans are triggered off the pump.

Thats just a huge wear and tear on the equipment, so I run "fan-less". Short of all out drag racing, I don't need the fans on for street driving. Like people have said above, airflow over the HE is enough to cool it down for me on the street.

Users who are viewing this thread