13.8 rear brake install...caliper pin stuck

evanjp

Established Member
One of the pins on the part of the break that holds the pads on my passenger rear is stuck, and I think was the culprit of sticking pads on that side. Smelled awful, super hot and I am unsure if I just ruined my rotor and hawk 5.0 pads. I drove it maybe 2-3 miles total in two separate drives. First was the break-in procedure drive right after and I noticed the car was sluggish, then I started smelling brakes. Turned around out of the neighborhood next to mine and came home. I thought it might have been the parking brake cable, since it gets stuck occasionally when cold, so I tried loosening the cable in the console and I took it around another neighborhood and it felt better at first, but as soon as I came to a stop I could smell brakes again. Turned around again and got home and gave it maybe 15 mins and took it all apart. There's slightly brownish lines around the rotor, and an obvious wear area on the pads. Is the rotor and are the pads toast? I'm leaving for vacation literally as early as possible on Saturday and it would suck to put the old stuff on again since the rotors were warped.

Can I sand the rotors? Pads? I don't work til 2 tomorrow so I have some time. I'm planning on waking up early. (Don't laugh) I put some WD-40 in the pin that is stuck and tried hitting it with a rubber mallet and nothing. I soaked it pretty good before coming back inside and will try it tomorrow. Otherwise I'm prob gonna have to grab a Napa rotor, maybe pads for that one side or find the pad holder part of the brakes. Part of the caliper? Whatever. I'm screwed. Annoyed, tired and just kind of pissed off at the moment.

evanjp

Established Member
image.jpeg

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 149

evanjp

Established Member
Luckily Napa had a replacement caliper and I went with that, bought both sides since they come painted and mine have no black paint left. Switched the bracket on both sides and it is much better. I used the pads and that rotor and it seems fine I'm sure it will be ok... I hope

Users who are viewing this thread