'13 GT factory shifter issue........

IGO 202

Established Member
I finished my bolt-ons recently and ran a buddy today in his LS1 Camaro with cam & bolt-ons. he has LT's & I don't.

With his 4.56 gear vs. my 3.31 (have 3.73's in the garage but wanted to run him before and after installation) he could pull me initially by a car and it would stay that way from 15mph to 125 or so.

The only way I could power-shift was below 7,000 rpm, above that I'd miss second gear. I absolutely hated shifting at 6,800 since the car pull so good to 7,400 with the Boss intake. I know I could have beat him speed shifting at 7k+ but I could never prove it.

My wife (it's her DD) does not like the feel of my son's Hurst Competition Plus shifter in his GT. It does shift nice to me being so mechanically positive but she like's the OEM easy row shifter.
I removed the assist spring and the pedal doesn't stick anymore plus she actually likes it better.

I've read a little about different shifter brackets but don't know anyone who has one, most local guys just go with short throw shifters.
Would a bracket (whatever brand) tighten up the feel for racing but not feel like a short throw? If so, what's the best one going?

Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions,
Dan

Nuar

Established Member
Seems like the Barton 2 post bracket is the way to go if all you're looking at is a bracket.
Otherwise MGW all the way.

SCalla1384

Established Member
I love the fact of the stock clutch feel, I don't want to change it lol. If my pedal sticks ill pull the spring out, so far so good

INEEDA_TERMI

Established Member
the top 1/2 inch of the pedal feels mushy after removing the spring.. didn't like it at all, however, it does increase the pedal feel. I think the only real cure is a new clutch and pressure plate that can disengage and reengage at high rpm's.

mtrsprt

Established Member
Most people find removing the assist spring does not change the fact that a lot of the MT-82's are locking people out of the gate (synchros not slowing down enough, or too tight) above 7000rpm. In theory, it shouldnt help anyway.

A positive response has been noted though, for guys who have swapped out the entire clutch assembly, and added a better hydraulic throw out bearing fluid line.

I may just have mine worked, or even faceplated in the future....

TrumpetLon

Established Member
Since it is your wife's DD, I would suggest the Energy Suspension urethane bushing for the stock bracket. No added NVH, but it controls the high RPM torque to keep the gates aligned. A fluid swap to Redline MTL or Amsoil MTG is also helpful.

Cobrakit

Established Member
I've read that the trans mount also plays a role, is this true? Does the Boss really have a different trans mount than GT?

blackbeast12

Dr. Frankenstang
Established Member
When you get your 3:73's in and upgrade the shifter you will take your camaro buddy by a car length!

IGO 202

Established Member
Thanks for the help & ideas folks. Many choices for sure and it helps getting different opinions.

Kinda leaning toward a Barton 2-piece to keep me & momma both happy. Just gotta get something quick since I'm istalling the gear next week then its payback time!!

Dan

kingnut

Established Member
just buy an MGW or Barton and call it a day. many people on here love both. factory shifters are well factory. shorter the throw the better.

IGO 202

Established Member
Yeah I was wanting to keep the stock shifter feel for her (not notchy for a loss of words) but lose the rubbery feel if that's at all possible.

I was hoping that by using a new bracket only, the throw would still be long but the vagueness would be eliminated. Kinda hard to describe but I hope you guys understand.

Thanks again for all the input,
Dan

Gradyh

WTB MY21/22 order
Established Member
Thanks for the help & ideas folks. Many choices for sure and it helps getting different opinions.

Kinda leaning toward a Barton 2-piece to keep me & momma both happy. Just gotta get something quick since I'm istalling the gear next week then its payback time!!

Dan

Do it Dan youll be much impressed

Users who are viewing this thread