"13 GT500 vs ZL1 Track Test Inside Line

DSGWhippedSnake

Right you are ken
Established Member
Everyone can debate the whole track thing as much as they want. But let's be realistic here.....majority of us will be encountering each car on the street....as far as I'm concerned, having a power advantage of 100+whp will be the winning factor. Providing semi decent drivers on both ends. As stated above, the difference in handling statistics are minimal...not enough to put the ZL1 out front as the better car. Not nutswinging the GT500 just because I'm a ford guy, I love all cars. But the bottom line is the ZL1 isn't what everybody expected it to be, and the '13 GT500 blows it away IMO. But, it's the ford vs chevy battle that continues on and will never end.....we all like what we like

Last edited:

mineralstangt

Established Member
Everyone can debate the whole track thing as much as they want. But let's be realistic here.....majority of us will be encountering each car on the street....as far as I'm concerned, having a power advantage of 100+whp will be the winning factor. Providing semi decent drivers on both ends. As stated above, the difference in handling statistics are minimal...not enough to put the ZL1 out front as the better car. Not nutswinging the GT500 just because I'm a ford guy, I love all cars. But the bottom line is the ZL1 isn't what everybody expected it to be, and the '13 GT500 blows it away IMO. But, it's the ford vs chevy battle that continues on and will never end.....we all like what we like

pretty much

AluminatorSnake

Established Member
ZL1

Tire make and model Goodyear Eagle F1 Supercar G:2
Tire type Performance front and rear
Tire size, front P285/35ZR20
Tire size, rear P305/35ZR20

'13 GT500

Tire make and model Goodyear Eagle F1 Supercar G:2
Tire type Summer Performance front and rear
Tire size, front P265/40ZR19
Tire size, rear P285/35ZR20

You'd think the GT500 could benefit from some more tire, but here's one man's explanation.

Ohh didnt know the ZL1 is only on a 305... i just remember the early vids saying it was supposed to harness monster 345s. Still a decent advantage in width.

16kOrBust

Established Member
Thats a strong difference on a road course or back road. The ZL1 carries more speed and has higher mechanical grip as well. That could spell trouble on shorter road courses for the GT500. Long courses will favor the GT500 for sure. I'd still take the GT500 but the handling advantage of the ZL1 is worth noting.

This is what I was gonna say. Take liter bikes vs 600's on a road course. On the bigger courses, the 15-20 mph difference in trap speed with skilled riders on both typically equals a good 3-4 seconds differences in lap times, but on the smaller, more technical courses, that gap closes greatly even with the massive power:weight difference, which is much greater than the '13 GT500 vs ZL1 difference.

I'm with RedVenom in guessing that the GT500 will own on med/large courses because that's a huge power difference, but on the smaller, more technical courses, the well-underpowered ZL1 might make a strong showing (if we ever see legit numbers from legit drivers in both on all different types of tracks, which is unlikely). Just speculation, though.

Last edited:

MTBSully

Established Member
why does brand loyalty still exist? Can't we all just admit that they are both badass (both with strenghts and weaknesses) cars that most of us can't afford anyways?

Whitten

Grocery Run
Established Member
I am of the mind that a proper comparison cannot actually be made until both car companies prove the vehicles merits by donating one of each car to our garages so that we can continue this debate properly. This donation would obviously include fuel and an unlimited warranty...just to make sure that they both remain in perfect trim so an accurate opinion can be made over the coarse of say...the rest of our lives...yeah that seems perfectly reasonable.

WeeZee

Member of NMRA
Established Member
Both cars are sick. I would rather have a '12 Caddy CTS-V Sedan for $60-65k

Pulley swap, full exhaust & tune for the '13 GT500 or '12 Camaro ZL1 = Street Monters !!!

Users who are viewing this thread