'13 mustang gt gear recommendations

mattdracing

Established Member
hey guys, im finally getting a '13 mustang gt/cs manual and it has the stock 3.31 gears. what gears should i go with...3.73's or 4.10's? i plan on quickly doing all these mods pretty much all at once right away. gears, o/r x pipe, gt500 mufflers, possibly boss 302 intake manifold (just for the extra rpm's for fun), CAI, and tune. im curious if the 4.10's are too much gear for a manual car or not. i will street drive it almost daily and occasional 1/4 mile visits. thanks!

mattdracing

Established Member
keep the 3.31's

really? ive always kinda been a gearhead with all my cars. my previous stangs, and my vette. i just figured especially with the boss intake the gear would help it out a good bit but i dont own one though so im glad im getting all this advice!

truebluedevil02

Captain Jackstands
Established Member
really? ive always kinda been a gearhead with all my cars. my previous stangs, and my vette. i just figured especially with the boss intake the gear would help it out a good bit but i dont own one though so im glad im getting all this advice!

Trust me, keep the 3:31's. MAYBE go with 3:55's but dont go more than that. These MT82's are close ratio. In all other 5 and 6spd trans your used to the 1:1 gear is 4th. In the MT82 its 5th. With my 2013 GT and 3:31's 3rd only goes to 98mph, 4th goes to 121mph(stock 6900rpm redline). I have considered going with some 3:15's or even 2:97's once I get the Paxton on the car.

mattdracing

Established Member
Trust me, keep the 3:31's. MAYBE go with 3:55's but dont go more than that. These MT82's are close ratio. In all other 5 and 6spd trans your used to the 1:1 gear is 4th. In the MT82 its 5th. With my 2013 GT and 3:31's 3rd only goes to 98mph, 4th goes to 121mph(stock 6900rpm redline). I have considered going with some 3:15's or even 2:97's once I get the Paxton on the car.

ok awesome...i appreciate your help a ton! that's good info to rely on. these cars are impressive how well geared they are from factory compared to previous models and ESPECIALLY compared to the new camaro's. i drove a '12 camaro ss and it was a joke compared to the mustang

VETTEHUNTER

No cure for this disease.
Established Member
At the absolute most, I would do 3.73's. I contemplated running 4.10's in my 11 due to the fact that the 5.0 loves rpm, but I find that my stock 3.73's are more than enough.
Back in my GM F-Body days, I ran 4.10's in my 6-Speed LS1's...Great gear for those cars, but IMO, too much for these cars.

vortecd

Established Member
Why not figure out what gears you want then look for one or order one with them?

mattdracing

Established Member
At the absolute most, I would do 3.73's. I contemplated running 4.10's in my 11 due to the fact that the 5.0 loves rpm, but I find that my stock 3.73's are more than enough.
Back in my GM F-Body days, I ran 4.10's in my 6-Speed LS1's...Great gear for those cars, but IMO, too much for these cars.

ok good deal thanks! i will do that

mattdracing

Established Member
Why not figure out what gears you want then look for one or order one with them?

i found a good deal on a car at our dealer and it doesnt have the 3.73's but its not a deal breaker to me since i can swap the gears. but i kinda would like the track package with the brembo brakes

kingnut

Established Member
Man i wouldnt touch the gears in these cars. Seems like everyone that does has problems. I think the 331s are fine and most of the dislike came from the stock tunes of the 11's.

And you dont even have the car yet... most guys with boost wish they had 331's

mattdracing

Established Member
Man i wouldnt touch the gears in these cars. Seems like everyone that does has problems. I think the 331s are fine and most of the dislike came from the stock tunes of the 11's.

And you dont even have the car yet... most guys with boost wish they had 331's

im getting one right after xmas because i have my current daily driver sold. but i never plan on boosting it. since it will just be my DD im doing bolt ons and a tune. i had an 06 saleen with 4.10 gears and it was perfect but i was curious on everyones reactions on these cars because they are 6 speeds and are geared much better

Users who are viewing this thread