135i vs 03/04 Cobra and Focus ST

bokyo1987

Established Member
I got on the highway immediately after leaving the drag strip in Mexico tonight and immediately got passed by a sweet sounding Cobra. I saw the numbers on the windows and quickly realized it was the same one running at the track. But before I could speed up to see if he wanted to play, a tuned Focus ST (which I actually put buses on at the track) passed me and paced the Terminator. The highway coming from the strip is pretty empty no matter what time of the day it is so I had a feeling that something was about to go down. The Cobra pulled hard from the hit then just let off, I guess he was pretty sure the Focus ST wasn't going to catch up. The Cobra cruised at around 60ish and the Focus ST went on ahead giving me an opening.

Knowing that the Cobra was down to run, I immediately pulled up alongside it. I heard the Cobra downshift at around 50ish so I followed suit and put my slush box in DS mode, big mistake... He honked it off and we both laid on it. My car downshifted and all I heard was the Eaton whining and his exhaust roaring by me as he put a length on me right off the bat. We slowed back down to around 40ish so I went to 3rd hoping for a better pull. He honked it off again and we ended up taking off at the same time. We were literally door-to-door for what seemed like forever. He lost a little bit of ground every shift while I kept inching away. We let off in the triple digits with his front bumper by my front wheel. I got behind him afterwards as he was giving a thumbs up, I gave him a honk in return.

I know, not the most exciting story... but it's not everyday we get a chance to get some pulls in around here. If the owner is a member here, thanks for the runs!

TL;DR
Terminator with unknown mods jumps all over bolt-on 135i on one race. 135i inches away from said Terminator in the second race.

Last edited:

BlueSnake01

Established Member
Good kill! What were you running and what was his running? With your mods, looked like you ran a stock pulley Cobra. I agree on being a big mistake on DS, shouldve left it at D and downshift, you're closer to your powerband that way.

bokyo1987

Established Member
Thanks, man! Yeah, I was thinking he was stock. A pullied/tuned Cobra would've been gone lol. Best time so far is 12.6 @113mph with a 2.13 60ft. I need some e85 and good tires to stay competitive.

Last edited:

BlueSnake01

Established Member
Thanks, man! Yeah, I was thinking he was stock. A pullied/tuned Cobra would've been gone lol. Best time so far is 12.6 @113mph with a 2.13 60ft. I need some e85 and good tires to stay competitive.
Ahaha I know the feeling. Still running the run flats? With my mods best I ran was a 13.2 @ 108 with a 2.2 60ft, couldn't get traction with these RFT's at all. Gonna try again and will hope to get at least on 12 second pass with these tires before I buy some
Michellin PSS's. Heard nothing but praises for all around especially for traction.

bokyo1987

Established Member
love me some 135i. good run!

Thanks!

BlueSnake01 said:
Ahaha I know the feeling. Still running the run flats? With my mods best I ran was a 13.2 @ 108 with a 2.2 60ft, couldn't get traction with these RFT's at all. Gonna try again and will hope to get at least on 12 second pass with these tires before I buy some
Michellin PSS's. Heard nothing but praises for all around especially for traction.

I actually went kinda backwards, I'm running a squared set of 235/40 Pilot Sport A/S 3s. I should've went with staggered 235/265 PSS summer tires. If you have an auto try launching in 2nd, results in better times more often than not lol

Last edited:

BlueSnake01

Established Member
Leaving it on DS or D launches the car on 2nd, you have to shift it down to 1st manually if you want 1st. I was getting better results leaving the tires on 35 PSI vs below 30 and one lane was open so it wasn't as prepped as it normally is. Next month imma get another shot.

VenomGTX

Awesome SVT Poster
Established Member
Hey man, cool to see you finally posting. bokyo1987 and I go way back, we both work together over at Ft Gordon. The driver of the Focus ST was a guy I ran into during lunch earlier this week, I believe he said his car had an intake and Ford Racing tune. We were all supposed to meet up at Carolina Dragway last night but I wasn't able to make it. It's cool though, I feel like my fat ass 3v probably would've just been in the way lol.

bokyo1987

Established Member
Leaving it on DS or D launches the car on 2nd, you have to shift it down to 1st manually if you want 1st. I was getting better results leaving the tires on 35 PSI vs below 30 and one lane was open so it wasn't as prepped as it normally is. Next month imma get another shot.
Thanks for the heads up, nice to always learning something new. Don't forget to post up the results!

VenomGTX said:
I feel like my fat ass 3v probably would've just been in the way lol
Like I said, man... A blower will solve all your problems lol.

Last edited:

Joey8

Established Member
I have a buddy with a 135i that has a tune,downpipe, intake which i run. I usually have him by a 1/2 - 1 car length. When hes on his race gas map or whatever they call it in the tuner world thats a different story. Says on the race gas map he runs about 4 - 6 pounds more boost i believe.

termipowa

Established Member
lol Said cobra was actually mine and it is not stock. It has stage 4 port 2.93 pulley exhaust,rear seat delete,kb bap,sra swap. I had just purchased the car and it had never been tuned. trapped 108 that night. sad i know.I took a trip to Pro-Dyno in SC. The crew there installed 60lb injectors,ba2600 maf,new plugs, and tune car put down 501/469. first pull was 369whp

termipowa

Established Member
That night best was a 12.4 at 108 1.9 60ft Im actually going back to jackson this thursday if you want to meet up and ride out together bud.

termipowa

Established Member
dyno.jpg better see 11's or im going to be upset.

Black*Death

Sleeping
Established Member
lol Said cobra was actually mine and it is not stock. It has stage 4 port 2.93 pulley exhaust,rear seat delete,kb bap,sra swap. I had just purchased the car and it had never been tuned. trapped 108 that night. sad i know.I took a trip to Pro-Dyno in SC. The crew there installed 60lb injectors,ba2600 maf,new plugs, and tune car put down 501/469. first pull was 369whp

I love when the other driver actually posts. So likely 369 RWHP during the 135 race?

bokyo1987

Established Member

Good deal, man! That's a pretty big bump in power. You should be well into 11s next time out. I have some minor stuff to take care off before hitting the track again unfortunately. Should be good to go in a couple of weeks though!

termipowa

Established Member
Yes first dyno pull was 369 no changes from the race. Car apparently had never been tuned. But she runs like a cobra should now. Bokyo hit me up when you want to go I think a few of my friends are going this week. Gto,g8, and maybe a big turbo srt 4

bokyo1987

Established Member
Yes first dyno pull was 369 no changes from the race. Car apparently had never been tuned. But she runs like a cobra should now. Bokyo hit me up when you want to go I think a few of my friends are going this week. Gto,g8, and maybe a big turbo srt 4

Sounds like a good line-up. VenomGTX should be down to go too (07 GT). I should be able to get my hands on some drag radials in a few weeks as well. Not that it's gonna make a difference if we line up again lol.

Users who are viewing this thread