14/GT500 brake system on 12 GT Will ABS/ Advancetrac/ Tractioncontro work after

PONY1

C/S 3187
Established Member
Looking to do the swap and was wondering besides the parts themselves will the cars ABS still work and if not can it made to. whats involved for to all work together as OEM stuff?

thx for any info
20160529_173959.jpg

hirting

Established Member
I installed the 15 inch, 6 piston GT500 brake package (Fronts and Rears) on my 13 GT and the ABS/Traction control features worked without issue. It is simply a braking hardware change and all the traction features work as they did previously without any tuning.

Paul.

Established Member
It's completely bolt-on. I made the complete swap - no additional effort is needed. ABS works like a champ.

PONY1

C/S 3187
Established Member
have either of you guys done a HPDE track day anywhere and do a before and after trial ? thx for info guys

hirting

Established Member
have either of you guys done a HPDE track day anywhere and do a before and after trial ? thx for info guys

Yes, I have had several HPDE weekends on the stock GT brakes/pads and also the upgraded GT500 brakes/pads. There is a noticeable difference. With the stock brakes, I was getting brake fade towards the middle/end of the 20 minute sessions. With the GT500 brakes, zero fade. Also the braking with the upgraded system is noticeably better. I had more confidence braking into a turn at 120 and was able to carry more speed and brake later with the GT500 setup. I think the thing that surprised me most was how "normal" they felt when driving on the street. They are not grabby but definitely have more stopping power for shorter distance stops when you stomp on them. A huge improvement over the stock ones in my opinion.

Also, installing the front brakes was very straight forward for a novice wrench turner like myself. Putting on the rear caliper brackets was a little more daunting but still pretty straight forward. It was a little more time consuming on the rears since this was the first time I had removed the axels on a car. I definitely feel this was a "money well spent" upgrade.

I think another thing that helped considerably with cooling/fade was removing the front/rear brake shields and replacing the front ones with the GT500 shields provided in the kit. Prior to the upgrade, my rear brake shields were glowing red hot after a session due to traction control (Sport) and normal braking on the track. After the removal and upgrade, the brakes seem to be operating much cooler with the better airflow.

I hope this helps give you some perspective. Let me know if there are any other questions or concerns.

P.S. I am currently finishing up a install of oil pump gears, timing chain gear, and Paxton supercharger. By next weekend my mustang should be a track beast!

Users who are viewing this thread