14' gt500 trouble. please help!

sarim17

Established Member
hello friends!
tonight i was heading home from a car gathering and decided to do a pull on the high way. it was a full pull in 3rd and a short while in 4th. while i had it WOT, i heard a loud screeching sound so i let off the gas and the car died. i pulled over and the car would not crank over. almost as if there wasnt enough power for the starter to turn it over. i called a buddy and we jumped the car. the first try with the jumper cables the car started but i might have had it on just over 1 second. i heard a scraping sound that did not sound good and i immediately shut it off to prevent any further damage.

i have inspected all of the belts and everything seems to be fine and lined up. there was no smoke anywhere or any sign of oil. car did not throw any codes......
i have searched all night on the forums looking for anyone that might have encountered this, but i cannot find anything like this anywhere.
i just got the car dialed in so i was trying to get a feel for it.

the car is a 14' gt500 with full bolt ons, ID1300s, powerbythehour XBA, kenne bell monoblade, 10% lower by ATI. 2.5 upper, and and as far as i can tell, all parts are brand new and seem fine.
any help would be greatly appreciated.

UFGatorGuy20

UFGatorGuy20
Established Member
Sorry to hear you are having issues. Are all the noises you describe (both while doing the run and in park) coming from under the hood? Sounds like it based on the attempt to jump it and run the engine while stationary. Hard to diagnose but recommend getting it trailered to a shop where it can be inspected from all angles.

MaximumVelocity

Mod motor convert
Established Member
The "screeching" noise, car dying and hard starting may be something as simple as a locked up pulley (ac compressor, blower, etc). First thing to do is pull off the belts and rotate the pulleys by hand.

railroad

Established Member
good advise on the accessories, just set the belts off the tensioners, no need to remove from the car. Might want to check the flywheel/ clutch if the front does not uncover something.

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
The "screeching" noise, car dying and hard starting may be something as simple as a locked up pulley (ac compressor, blower, etc). First thing to do is pull off the belts and rotate the pulleys by hand.

Agree, good first thing to do.

sarim17

Established Member
Thank you guys. I planned on doing that this morning. Was wondering if anyone had ever heard of this....
It just seems strange that something should lock up...
But I will try that!

2011 gtcs

GT500 poster
Established Member
Premium Member
Does it sound like a metal on metal screeching noise or a belt screeching noise. Good advice on removing the belt and making sure the engine spins freely. It's very possible a pulley locked up. Does the car have any mods?

93 347 Cobra

Established Member
The pulleys on the supercharger belt used to fail on '03 Cobras when they had aftermarket pulleys. The pulley down by the crank (not crank pulley) was the one most often at fault. Couldn't tell you what it would be on the 13-14 cars.

Good luck.

RBB

Established Member

This is most likely the cause. Had the A/C compressor pulley lock up a few years ago on my wife's car and it wouldn't even turn over to start.

sarim17

Established Member
Thank you all for the help!
Turns out the supercharger itself is locked up....
I'm thankful the motor is not hurt but kind of shocked the blower went out.....

Clearly it is not common but I just don't understand what could've happened to cause this. Maybe it's time for a bigger one!

mustangc

This too shall pass
Established Member
Shucks. I hate to hear that. I guess it's good news as a blower is cheaper than a long block. As I read the thread I immediately thought of a locked up supercharger, as the symptoms matched those of a locked up accessory and the blower is the only thing you are overdriving with your setup. It doesn't surprise me the blower went. Although it is indeed a rare failure, IIRC as factory equipped by SVT on the Trinity, the 2.3 TVS is already pullied for higher speeds than Eaton recommends. Adding both an upper and lower overdrive beyond that sends the unit well past its envelope.

I think you've hit the nail on the head as to the best solution: Install a bigger blower. The 2.9 Whipple is my personal favorite and will supply all the air a stock trinity bottom end can handle.

Tezz500

Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!
Established Member

Clearly it is not common but I just don't understand what could've happened to cause this. Maybe it's time for a bigger one!

Anything mechanical has its limits. not this the S/C is typically prone to failure... I have seen industrial compressors let loose.. usually its oil related.... leak/low level/overheating etc Id have a good mechanic o over that thing with a fine tooth comb... you don't want to spend thousands on a new S/C just torch that one as well...

2011 gtcs

GT500 poster
Established Member
Premium Member

That does suck that blower locked up, but like you said atleast the engine is ok. I haven't heard of too many TVS superchargers having a lock up issue. I'm guessing the car is modded. Well time to bolt a KB blower on. I would also say you should pull the rotor pack out of the TVS to see what failed.

Last edited:

Snoopy49

Established Member
Hopefully all the damage occurred in the gear box rather than the rotor housing.
It could get nasty if you sucked a bolt or other object into the rotors.

Last edited:

rdsnk46

Established Member
I had the rotor pack fail on a S/C and the rotors crashed into themselves sending metal into the intercooler core, intake tract and cylinders. I cleaned it the best I could and put it all back together with a different S/C and it was fine!

Users who are viewing this thread