'14 SRT Grand Cherokee vs '99 Cobra

redfiresvtsnake

Established Member
Was out driving around last night and I pass this green 99/01 style Cobra who promptly started pacing me and throwing revs. At the next stop light he continues giving me the look and throwing revs. I turn the launch control on, set it to 2800. Light turns green and we go. Tires chirp a bit but I take off instantly. He spun a bit on the launch and stayed back the entire time. Whole race was only a few seconds at best. By the time I had hit 75 I had maybe 2 - 3 cars on him. I shut it down since the speed limit was 50. At the next light he says he didn't know these things were that fast. Told him it wasn't stock so he asked to check it out, so we pulled into the next gas station just up the road. Stand up dude, name was Craig, from Mesa, not sure if it's anyone on here. Fun race though, and first decent car I've ran since I picked the SRT up almost 3 weeks ago and since I installed the mods over the past week. He said his car had a JLT cai, Bassani mid length headers/x-pipe, stock 03 Cobra IRS, Predator tune, and Borla catback. Loving the Grand Cherokee and can't wait to throw some boost at it on my next 30 day break from work.

redfiresvtsnake

Established Member
Good kill! Nice to know the 392's can be modded/tuned now.

Thanks. '14 tuning has been released, but the parameters that can be altered are slightly limited compared to earlier Mopar SRT8 vehicles. Still wish Chrysler would make it easier to tune these new vehicles. I still need to get an actual custom tune, just need to find a good Mopar tuner.

ramstein

Established Member
I don't even get the purpose of MDS on the SRT. It's probably the difference between 16mpg and 16.2mpg.

16 is pretty good lol I get 13.2 average. Good race OP. I race my friend`s 09 G8GXP(from the dig of course) and he can`t pass me until >100mph. These things pull like crazy from the dig.

Last edited:

redfiresvtsnake

Established Member
16 is pretty good lol I get 13.2 average. Good race OP. I race my friend`s 09 G8GXP(from the dig of course) and he can`t pass me until >100mph. These things pull like crazy from the dig.

I'm loving this thing more than my Whippled '04 Cobra! Launches like a rocket off the line. Only vehicle I've ever had that I could get to 60ft less than 1.90s at the track. I think I was pulling mid 1.60s/low 1.70s stock when I had it there just after I bought it. I actually got just 11.4mpg my last tank, all city with some spirited driving. 16-18 on the highway with the cruise set at 70-75. Smiles per gallon is through the roof and what really matters.

redfiresvtsnake

Established Member
How you like the new 8spd auto in those ?

Love it! My '13 GC TrailHawk has the 3.6 and the WA580, which is from what I understand, the same basic tranny as the WA580 in the SRT8 WK and WK2 thru 2013. It never wants to pick the right gear during hill climbs and downshifts. The '13 SRT I test drove felt a bit slower because it held gears too long before shifting. The 8 speed is excellent. Fast, crisp shifts. Even blips the throttle for you on down shifts when using the paddle shifters. Best auto tranny I've driven. I just hope it handles big power in the longer run like the WA580 does.

Last edited:

da5deuce

heatsoaked
Established Member
Nice kill op. If anything makes me quiver a bit is pulling up next to an awd vehicle at a stop light (srt8gc, evo, subi ect) because I know I have to be on my "A" game as far as shifting to catch up especially if they're modded.

Jonberlin

Established Member
For a custom tune I strongly suggest hemifever!!! He's the AED of hemi tuning.
Turned my 2012 Ram into a whole different animal with about the same mods you have ( no headers)

Jonny

BlueSnake01

Established Member
Good kill O.P! There's two local one's around here with a Magnacharger, wished they werent local LOL

What was the 1/4 time?

redfiresvtsnake

Established Member
For a custom tune I strongly suggest hemifever!!! He's the AED of hemi tuning.
Turned my 2012 Ram into a whole different animal with about the same mods you have ( no headers)

Jonny

Plus 1 on the hemifever tunes bar none the best.

Thanks. I'll have to look into them and see what they can do.

Good kill O.P! There's two local one's around here with a Magnacharger, wished they werent local LOL

What was the 1/4 time?

12.78@108 is the best it's done basically stock(only with air filter removed). It did 12.81@106 stock with the filter installed. Haven't been back yet since the mods. I'm hoping for 12.40-12.50 with good air and DA.

I'm actually waiting for the Whipple 2.9 kit for the new WK2 SRT to be released. Be nice if Kenne Bell would release something for it as well. If it performs well I might get one. But I'm also looking at twin turbos from Twin Turbo Concepts. Still unsure. Racer's Edge has also built a single 76mm kit for the new WK2 SRT. Options for power are finally coming out for the new '12 and up GC SRT.

Last edited:

ThomasL

Established Member
Good kill. Those SRT Cherokees are no joke. Seen one at the track down here running 12 something. Impressive.

OneSlowV

Established Member
I just ordered a hemi fever tune for my 392 charger. Ill let you know how she runs. Since i lost to a full bolt on 5.0 yesterday by 3 cars lol.

07COBRAVENOM

R.I.P. Hissssss
Established Member
I think I drove past you a week ago, you were down on Thomas and 51st. I was a white mach one going the opposite direction but I heard you nail it when I passed you. Thing sounds mean. Would love a run next time i'm up there

Gradyh

WTB MY21/22 order
Established Member
HMMM might just be my next family car. WE have a bolt on WRX that is a blast to drive at the moment. Maybe in a few years! And thanks for your service brother!

Users who are viewing this thread